Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Holt Motorsport

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 10:54 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

If you wish for Dougherty to do a PPI, please PM me for details. You will not regret it.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:01 PM
Obie1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1997993
Here is a great shop that is nearby

http://www.doughertyautomotive.com/
+1 for Dougherty Automotive. The guys at Dougherty are very good and they are working for you and not Tim Holt. They also will do a two step PPI. The first step is an overall review of the car except for th leak down/compression. With cars that have low miles, they usually state that the mechanics in his shop can almost tell by excessive vibrations and such whether or not the car may have an issue. If they suspect there might be an issue they will call and let you know before performing the compression test ( = extra cash). I thought that was very honest business move. He could have told me that every car should get the leakdown but that usually isn't the case with low mileage cars.
the other good thing is that you don't have to do anything. Dougherty's shop is about 3 miles away from Holt's so tim Holt will drop the car off and bring it back with everything complete. Once again, please don't think that Dougherty is giving Holt cars a free pass. they are very thorough with the PPI and will spend a good amount of time on the phone giving you their feedback as well as a multi page report.

As for Holt Motorsports.....I can't say enough good things about the whole experience. He was very straightforward about the car. Answered every one of the hundred questions I probably asked. Never pressured me for the sale. And gave some very good new owner advice which I really appreciate since my 993 was my first Porsche. And yes,....the car was detailed inside and out when I picked it up.
I made many trips to Holt's before buying my car and I believe that others may have quality cars in their showroom but I think it would be very hard to find a dealer with as many top notch cars under one roof.
So go ahead and take the leap. It's been a great 4 months since I bought my car.

JD
Old 10-31-2007, 11:07 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Figure 200 bucks for a good PPI. + or - on the cost depending on your relationship with the PPI performer
Old 10-31-2007, 11:27 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$200 sounds cheap for a PPI if that includes a leak down and compression test. On the leak down the crank has to be moved into position for each cylinder's test. It's time consuming. Do they do a road test too?
Old 10-31-2007, 11:29 PM
xcusemi
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great!! Thanks for all the info. I will keep your guys update on the progress. Wish me luck!
Old 10-31-2007, 11:46 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Perhaps I should clarify: my dealings with Dougherty were less than positive, revealed a strong conflict of interest and resulted in my not being notified of significant crash damage in a Porsche of interest.

Never again.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:34 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Two pieces of info on Holt
1. Direct....when I was looking to buy I called him about two cars and found him expensive compared to others...admittedly all cars are different but for waht appeared to be similar cars he was a few K's more that some others dealers......I feel I learn a lot from talking to people on the phone and I felt he was disinterested in my business ... I did not actually meet him face to face....so maybe he was disinterested because I was a telephone enquiry.....I ended up buying my car in NC.
2. A work colleague purchase an 87 from him....and was very happy with the whole deal, loved the car and the service he recieved

BUT NO MATTER WHAT>>>>GET A PPI.......It is worth the money to know what is under the skin...especially if you are not too familiar with these cars......
Old 11-01-2007, 06:15 PM
cesar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These were the guys I used:

Performance Automotive

They too are nearby and Tim dropped off the car. I haven't found any issues to date from what they described, but then again, others may have had different results.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:26 PM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Perhaps I should clarify: my dealings with Dougherty were less than positive, revealed a strong conflict of interest and resulted in my not being notified of significant crash damage in a Porsche of interest.

Never again.
To clarify .... was the crash damage car a holt car? I'm assuming not??!
Old 11-01-2007, 11:29 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ppashley
To clarify .... was the crash damage car a holt car? I'm assuming not??!
No, it had nothing to do with a Holt car but has more to do with a very biased PPI that I received.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:37 AM
KeithR3
Pro

I always wondered if there is collusion there between seller and shops that do PPI's. I guess it's the pessimist in me. If you get flying colors on a PPI and after purchase you find out that the car misdiagnosed...what recourse does the buyer have?

I friend of mine purchased a car in CA. Passed the PPI wth flying colors, got an oil change from a dealership and found out that the car had some repaint on the rear bumper. The mechanic at the dealership found left over tape underneath the rear bumper. Just wondering I guess.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:03 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KeithR3
I always wondered if there is collusion there between seller and shops that do PPI's. I guess it's the pessimist in me. If you get flying colors on a PPI and after purchase you find out that the car misdiagnosed...what recourse does the buyer have?

I friend of mine purchased a car in CA. Passed the PPI wth flying colors, got an oil change from a dealership and found out that the car had some repaint on the rear bumper. The mechanic at the dealership found left over tape underneath the rear bumper. Just wondering I guess.
Keith,

The potential is there, definitely; I've experienced it first-hand when I didn't know better.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:19 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 828 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by xcusemi
Anyone herad of this company. It seems to me that they are quite reputable especially for the 993. I saw a couple of cars and I might just buy it from them rather than looking around and around to find the right car for me. Any input of Holt Motorsport?
i had a great experience there
see this thread on the 993 forum

Positive experience @ Holt Motorsports

be safe

craig
Old 11-02-2007, 11:54 AM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

I received my car in rather dirty condition as well. Tim knew that I planned on
participating in Concour events with it and said that if he had spent the money
to have it detailed it wouldn't have been good enough for me. He was
probably right. I drove home thru thunderstorms that day anyhow. Once I
began to detail the car and saw the dramatic difference my work was making
I knew I had made the right choice. There was a shining jewel under all
that dirt! There were a few issues that popped up after purchase that
I wasn't happy about but looking at it realistically I had purchased a ten year
old used car. Would I buy from Tim again? Certainly.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:20 AM
catchacab
Instructor

I bought my 993 there a year and a half ago. Overall a good experience with Tim. If you want a 993 now, or you don't have time to look around, travel to see cars he is the man to see. If you have the time, look around there are a number of good 993s for sale. I had my PPI done at Performance Automotive, it is also the shop I have had my other track car serviced since 2002. Tim also uses them.
The car I purchased was one of the less expensive ones on his lot. They did find some issues with the car, (no deal killers, tune up, oil change, some minor seals, recommendation that clutch would need to be replaced in about a year). Tim and I came to an agreement and I would buy another car from him. I was very pleased with the PPI. Tim, I have a feeling felt it was too thorough. Problems I have had with the car since purchase 1. a bad brake caliper (last year), 2. worn toe link (this spring), 3. collapsed lifter (this spring).

Bottom line: Get a PPI, do your home work, and buy from Tim

Quick Reply: Holt Motorsport