Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

No Help:Tapping Noise after Valve Gasket Replacement!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 07:20 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Do you not have to remove the plugs to replace the gaskets for the valve covers. You do have to remove the plug wires from the plugs though. If they removed the plugs (for some reason other than the covers) then its possible they have not tightened them up. If they charged you to remove the plugs for the change then have a talk with your mechanic. They might have removed the mufflers (its not an exhaust leak, right?) as well.

I doubt if overtightening the cover will cause the rockers to touch...there is room in there. you did not have the lifters replaced as well? They might be noisy. If original lifters then they should have not gotten close to them.

"dry out:" is that the lifters are filled with oil and have been known to drain out if they sit for a while especially if they are worn. It might take a bit of time for them to become fully pressurized and ready again...they would make quite a tapping noise in the meanwhile.

Did you take it back to the shop and ask them about it?

This is why I do all my own DIY...I know exactly what was touched, what sound is from where, etc. I know its not for everyone though so you need to take it back and ask.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 10-31-2007, 07:44 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Do you not have to remove the plugs to replace the gaskets for the valve covers. You do have to remove the plug wires from the plugs though. If they removed the plugs (for some reason other than the covers) then its possible they have not tightened them up. If they charged you to remove the plugs for the change then have a talk with your mechanic. They might have removed the mufflers (its not an exhaust leak, right?) as well.

I doubt if overtightening the cover will cause the rockers to touch...there is room in there. you did not have the lifters replaced as well? They might be noisy. If original lifters then they should have not gotten close to them.

"dry out:" is that the lifters are filled with oil and have been known to drain out if they sit for a while especially if they are worn. It might take a bit of time for them to become fully pressurized and ready again...they would make quite a tapping noise in the meanwhile.

Did you take it back to the shop and ask them about it?

This is why I do all my own DIY...I know exactly what was touched, what sound is from where, etc. I know its not for everyone though so you need to take it back and ask.

Cheers,

Mike
Thanks Mike. The car certainly doesn't "sit", I drive her regularly. The DIY is becoming more attractive...but that has it's perils too. Must make an investment in tools, and have/develop the mechanical skills. But I think I'm headed that direction, because tonight I'm buying a spark plug socket set and gonna see if those damn plugs are loose!
Old 10-31-2007, 08:00 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYT993
Thanks Mike. The car certainly doesn't "sit", I drive her regularly. The DIY is becoming more attractive...but that has it's perils too. Must make an investment in tools, and have/develop the mechanical skills. But I think I'm headed that direction, because tonight I'm buying a spark plug socket set and gonna see if those damn plugs are loose!
Hopefully thats all it is. BTW - I don;t know the metric size, but a 5/8" plug socket will work.

mar
Old 10-31-2007, 09:51 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Like Mike said, the plugs stay in for v/c gasket replacements. Possibly they reversed a plug wire and your hear a ping? Longshot, but that would make more sense to me.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:56 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Like Mike said, the plugs stay in for v/c gasket replacements. Possibly they reversed a plug wire and your hear a ping? Longshot, but that would make more sense to me.
What a great thought!
Old 10-31-2007, 10:19 PM
jclanin
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same exact problem when I replaced my drivers side lower cover gasket. My mechanic told me to pull the plugs back out and push a big dab of lithium grease into the end of the plug covers. He said the plug covers tend to dry out over time causing the problem. I did this and re-seated the plugs. Worked like a charm - no more tapping.

Hope this helps.

JC
Old 10-31-2007, 10:28 PM
goldcountryboy
Three Wheelin'

Wow, I am about to replace my lower gaskets and all the info here is valuble stuff.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:25 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Another thing to consider is that lifters are VERY sensitive to contaminants. And when the crapped out old valve cover gaskets are removed, there is huge potential for crud getting in there, if the individual doing the work is not very careful. Doesn't take much to make a lifter get stuck.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:08 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I replaced my lower gaskets last year and never encountered this kind of tapping so I seriously doubt it goes along with the new gaskets which leads me to agree it is a stuck lifter.

ZP44
Old 11-01-2007, 03:38 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

I've listened again after a long drive, and it doesn't seem as bad/loud. But just as a precaution, I'm taking her over to Robin's tonight. He'll either tell me I need to get back on my medication because I'm hearing things, or it's one of the issues described in prior threads. Nevertheless, thanks for the help guys....this is why I LUV this place. Either way, I'll let you know what the outcome is.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:15 PM
SPIKES
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jclanin
I had the same exact problem when I replaced my drivers side lower cover gasket. My mechanic told me to pull the plugs back out and push a big dab of lithium grease into the end of the plug covers. He said the plug covers tend to dry out over time causing the problem. I did this and re-seated the plugs. Worked like a charm - no more tapping.

Hope this helps.

JC
could you please describe "end of the plug covers"? are you refering to the rubber covers going onto the plugs.....if it is , why did you have to pull the plugs out?
sorry maybe i am misunderstanding you..
thanks
Old 11-01-2007, 09:36 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Ok. I feel like the 12 year old girl scout screaming about a poisonous spider when it's a harmless ant. Robin smacked me upside the head, and said "Hey, that's your valves, man, that's the way they're SUPPOSED to sound."

"Really."
"Yeah, really."
"So, I've panicked for nothing."
"Yes, you have."

Dan V. you were on the money. Thanks guys. I'll be more diligent next time.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:05 PM
Marlon
Drifting

...and you 'just now' noticed it??? Oh well, it could have been worse A second-gear Italian tuneup once or twice a day is all you need...
Old 11-01-2007, 10:34 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

All's well that ends well!

Originally Posted by FLYT993
Ok. I feel like the 12 year old girl scout screaming about a poisonous spider when it's a harmless ant. Robin smacked me upside the head, and said "Hey, that's your valves, man, that's the way they're SUPPOSED to sound."

"Really."
"Yeah, really."
"So, I've panicked for nothing."
"Yes, you have."

Dan V. you were on the money. Thanks guys. I'll be more diligent next time.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:43 AM
jclanin
Rennlist Member

Yes, the rubber covers going onto the plugs. they tend to dry out over time and expand causing a gap at the plug junction. Once the wheel is off it takes 5 minutes to "grease" all the plug covers - so it's definitely worth a try.

JC

Quick Reply: No Help:Tapping Noise after Valve Gasket Replacement!