993 Forum 1995-1998

Close Call at the Tire Shop

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 12:12 AM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Close Call at the Tire Shop

So I got a new pair of rear tires but the balance just wasn't right. I didn't like the shop that did the work so I found a shop that had a Hunter 9700 something or other balancing machine - supposed to be state of the art. I take my car there Friday after work, the guys are friendly and let me spot the lift on my car so as not to damage anything, and they rebalance my wheels (btw, the right rear was 0.75 ounces off...).

So these two young guys put my wheels back on and tell me they're going to take it for a test drive. Of course I wasn't happy with that. "You know what?" I say. "Why don't I take one of you out for a ride - we'll be able to go much faster that way." So one of the guys gladly hops in and we're on our way.

So we get out on the road and I give it some throttle. The guy tells me, "Wow, I love your car man. I mean, I really love it. I just had my Honda impounded." Of course I ask for the rest of the story.

"I was busted street racing over the Gandy." This is a 2.5 mile straight bridge over Tampa Bay. Keep in mind this is the guy that was going to test drive my car. The guy was happy to share that his ticket was $600 and his bail was $250. Why bail? Because he ran from the cops and they had to call in a helicopter.
So I ask, "what happened to your car?"
"It got impounded."
"When do you get it back?"
"I don't," he said.
"What do you mean? Just for one street racing incident, they can take your car forever?"
"Well, this is the fourth time they've busted me."

And this is the guy who was going to take my car out for a test drive and wrap it around a pole.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:20 AM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WTF?

Good save!
Old 10-29-2007, 01:15 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

People laugh at me because I am petrified to get tires mounted.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:13 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
People laugh at me because I am petrified to get tires mounted.
X100

I can't think of a more simple job that is more fraught with danger.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:40 AM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should of just stop and pull over and tell him to get out and give him bus fare for the ride back to the tire shop and tell him to get use to the 54 window coupe because you have a feeling that he will be riding the public transit for a long time coming .

Cheeez Guy
Old 10-29-2007, 03:21 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

"54 window coupe" ......that's great!!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 10-29-2007, 04:05 AM
ssarchi
Burning Brakes

Ohhh no- I have an apt on Tuesday for some new Michelin's

Can you tell me specifically how to "spot the lift so as to avoid damage"...... that's all I need!!!!!!!!
Old 10-29-2007, 06:44 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

#1. Which tire shop was this?
#2. Vortex Motorsports, aka ViperBob's shop, does mounting and balancing.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:46 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by black ice
So I got a new pair of rear tires but the balance just wasn't right. I didn't like the shop that did the work so I found a shop that had a Hunter 9700 something or other balancing machine - supposed to be state of the art. I take my car there Friday after work, the guys are friendly and let me spot the lift on my car so as not to damage anything, and they rebalance my wheels (btw, the right rear was 0.75 ounces off...).

So these two young guys put my wheels back on and tell me they're going to take it for a test drive. Of course I wasn't happy with that. "You know what?" I say. "Why don't I take one of you out for a ride - we'll be able to go much faster that way." So one of the guys gladly hops in and we're on our way.

So we get out on the road and I give it some throttle. The guy tells me, "Wow, I love your car man. I mean, I really love it. I just had my Honda impounded." Of course I ask for the rest of the story.

"I was busted street racing over the Gandy." This is a 2.5 mile straight bridge over Tampa Bay. Keep in mind this is the guy that was going to test drive my car. The guy was happy to share that his ticket was $600 and his bail was $250. Why bail? Because he ran from the cops and they had to call in a helicopter.
So I ask, "what happened to your car?"
"It got impounded."
"When do you get it back?"
"I don't," he said.
"What do you mean? Just for one street racing incident, they can take your car forever?"
"Well, this is the fourth time they've busted me."

And this is the guy who was going to take my car out for a test drive and wrap it around a pole.
That was quite numbing to read. When the time comes, I think I'll ship my wheels & tires back to Wheel Enhancement, have the wheels refinished and a new set of tires correctly mounted.....

Andreas
Old 10-29-2007, 10:08 AM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

I have never had anyone at the tire shop test drive any of my cars! I would not let them either. That is a first one on me. They just wanted a thrill ride. Glad you did not let them.
Ron
Old 10-29-2007, 10:28 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

If possible, I always have the wheels and tires mounted OFF the car... i.e., put the car on jackstands, take the wheels to the shop, watch them dismount/mount the tires, high speed balance, and that's the end of it. No reason to let some $6/hr kid lift your car, overtighten and/or strip your lug bolts, and possible scratch something on your car. Just no reason to do it.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:45 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
If possible, I always have the wheels and tires mounted OFF the car... i.e., put the car on jackstands, take the wheels to the shop, watch them dismount/mount the tires, high speed balance, and that's the end of it. No reason to let some $6/hr kid lift your car, overtighten and/or strip your lug bolts, and possible scratch something on your car. Just no reason to do it.
That is my plan if I ever need to use a shop other than RUF. That way I know they were torqued correctly and not scratched up with an air wrench.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:21 AM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posted my tire shop horror story a while back (see pic) Maybe it wasn't thier fault but they did change the story after finding out they couldn't easily find a replacement at tire rack. "Oh mr. malec we are not responsible for the tire since there was previous work done on the wheel" total BS glad to hear you made the save.
Attached Images  
Old 10-29-2007, 12:23 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

My independent Porsche mechanic also has tire services. I always have my tire work done there.

Black Ice, nice save. Your car thanks you!
Old 10-29-2007, 12:36 PM
Denise993
Pro

WOW! Good catch ... I was just debating on saving a few bucks by going to a typical tire shop vs. my independent Porsche shop... I'll spend the extra dough and sleep better!

Quick Reply: Close Call at the Tire Shop