993 Forum 1995-1998

Can anyone identify this vacum line - better photos

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 07:57 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Can anyone identify this vacum line - better photos

T/s'ing an ocassional 'whistling' noise behind my red 95' 993 dash (especially when the a/c is on) I found this seemingly unconnected vacum line? Anybody seen it before on their car, if so does it actually connect to anything or does it simply hang free? (My black car has the same 'unconnected line) Two photos, first one shows general area, near the passenger side pollen filter housing. Second photo shows the line in questions and it is actually bundled in a gang of electrical wires. The white-colored vacum line goes to the right and finishes in an elbow into the top of an electical solenoid. That same solenoid has ANOTHER black vacum line that that attached to it in an elbow, but it is underneath and you can;t see it in the photo. The vacum line in question is just hanging out there with no place to intuitively go.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Marlon; 10-28-2007 at 07:49 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 10-27-2007, 10:52 PM
Marlon
Drifting

I will post better pictures tomorrow.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:42 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Yeah, beer and photography don't go together so well. Looking forward to the other pics.

But I have to admit, I'm perplexed about the vacuum lines up there.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:27 AM
Trevor-uk
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Marlon

Check that it is not simply part of the same black vacuum line that goes into the connector (which is actually an electrically operated air solenoid that controls the vacuum operated bypass air flaps for the AC). It could have snapped off and pulled out of the loom. The black tube (going to the solenoid) is the vacuum source (equivalent to the electrical 'live') which is switched onto the white tube ('load') when the AC calls for the bypass flaps to operate. With the engine running, pull the black tube from the solenoid unit and check that there is vacuum present (tip of tongue is good detector). No vacuum - answer found, just join 'em back up. Vacuum present - ignore me and go back to drawing board.

Trevor
Old 10-28-2007, 09:41 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Originally Posted by Trevor-uk
Marlon

Check that it is not simply part of the same black vacuum line that goes into the connector (which is actually an electrically operated air solenoid that controls the vacuum operated bypass air flaps for the AC). It could have snapped off and pulled out of the loom. The black tube (going to the solenoid) is the vacuum source (equivalent to the electrical 'live') which is switched onto the white tube ('load') when the AC calls for the bypass flaps to operate. With the engine running, pull the black tube from the solenoid unit and check that there is vacuum present (tip of tongue is good detector). No vacuum - answer found, just join 'em back up. Vacuum present - ignore me and go back to drawing board.

Trevor
Trevor - thx I will try it

mar

Quick Reply: Can anyone identify this vacum line - better photos