Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 for sale

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 06:25 PM
911ron
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a nice car priced at the current market level for a private sale based on my wanderings through ads lately. Has there been any clutch or top end work done? If so, this might ease buyers concerns about having to layout $$$ in the next few years.
Going through the receipts that I have, mentions no clutch work. It does feel fine to me. In PA we have to get emissions checked on our cars and it came out very clean according to the dealer who performed the inspection. The CO was .01 at idle and .58 at 2000 RPMs and the HCs were 22 and 35 PPM at the same speeds. I know that's not a clear indication of a good top end, but I think at those levels it should be good.

I think I'm going to give autotrader a call next week. Not sure about eBay yet.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:37 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by niche
I've never sold a Porsche (it may be different with this type of car), but I've sold a couple of BMW's on Ebay before. The trick is to take great pictures of the car detailed and the hard part is to put NO RESERVE on the listing. Start the bidding very low like at 100 -1000 bucks and advertise the auction. Both times I got fair market for the car and it takes 7 -10 days to sell. However, you have to have a strong stomach for the NO RESERVE portion of it.
I'm not sure I agree with the no-reserve part of this recommendation. I've heard this mentioned before, but it is risky. I would set your reserve at the absolutebare minimum that you would be willing to accept and then start the bidding at that level. I'd then set a buy-it-now price at the price you'd be comfortable with in an ideal situation. I can see the no reserve if you had to sell the car fast, but with no reserve you could end up getting screwed (IMHO).
Old 10-28-2007, 07:40 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most cars on Ebay (that I watch) don't sell anyway. I would think that many deals are done outside of Ebay based on the advertising. Who would buy a car without driving it anyway. On a no reserve auction you could always buy your car back under a different user name if you had to. You wouldn't be the first to do so. There is probably some rule about doing that but it's pretty minor compared to what goes on.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:24 PM
Berkley
Burning Brakes

Default Ron

I know this Porsche or I did before Vic Bought it....It is a nice example.....and I know what Vic paid for the Porsche back in 2005

If you have the time to wait, I think your "asking price" is fine ...I'd be very surprised if you get it though....this is the type Porsche that attracts a first time buyer or someone moving from a 964 or earlier version....My experience has been that such buyers are very price sensitive.......A experienced buyer will buy on the mechanical condition of the Porsche first and then overall condtion.....whether it is $31,000 or $33,500 makes little difference to the latter type buyer unless there is a surprise.... If you wanted to sell the Porsche tomorrow, I'd pay no more than $30,000...if I had time to come see it and sort it out, then the offer would likely be higher

You will get the best price from someone who sees the Porsche in person and who drives it....you need to get a buyer in his comfort zone.....

Best of luck
Old 10-28-2007, 11:56 PM
911ron
Track Day

I'm not in too much of a hurry ( my move is going to be in about 3-6 months). I went over everything mechanical in the car, I'm very obsessive about that sort of thing. It will stand up to any PPI. Plus it was a pretty good example to begin with, except for some AC issues. Vic told me about them prior to me purchasing the car, and they have all been fixed.

I would feel very uncomfortable about selling the car to someone who did not see and drive it first, irregardless of whether or not they had a PPI done. I bought it that way, and did not regret it, but still would feel better if they saw the car in person. That's another reason I'm a bit cautious about putting the car on eBay.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:06 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Ebay sale does not necessarily preclude you from having a buyer see the car before purchase. You set the terms of the sale on Ebay. Ebay is an opportunity to get your car seen by lots of people; however, that can have negative consequences as well. You end up getting less-informed people kicking tires and asking a lot of lame questions like "so, how fast does that car go?". I sold my Boxster on Ebay last year and stipulated "local pick-up only". The buyer flew in from Ohio, checked out the car, we shook hands, and the deal went through. Same thing happened with my 993 purchase; I saw the car on Ebay, drove up to Connecticut and checked out the car in person... PO and I shook hands and there were no uncertainties, worries about damage in shipping, etc. I also find that I get a lot of calls after the auction ends. Lots of bottom feeders wait for that to make low-ball offers when the reserve is not met or questionning whether the deal went through.

Quick Reply: C4 for sale