Sponsored by:

Tie rods

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 11:40 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
Are you usually able to feel the looseness with the car jacked up?
On a 993 (especially with 18") it would be difficult and in my case, absolutely not.
Difference between old tie-rods and new: ball joint swiveled a bit easier on the old
ones whilst on the new, very snug and difficult to swivel
Old 10-29-2007, 04:13 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by geolab
On a 993 (especially with 18") it would be difficult and in my case, absolutely not.
Difference between old tie-rods and new: ball joint swiveled a bit easier on the old
ones whilst on the new, very snug and difficult to swivel
So then, if I feel no sloppiness when trying to twist the wheel back and forth, it doesn't necessarily mean anything - the tie rods can still be shot?
Old 10-30-2007, 05:15 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
So then, if I feel no sloppiness when trying to twist the wheel back and forth, it doesn't necessarily mean anything - the tie rods can still be shot?
I strongly believe so, at least in my case.
Attached Images  
Old 10-31-2007, 02:48 AM
JStuart
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car went in today

Dropped it off this AM and when I went back this afternoon they were just starting on it. The shop that is doing the work is a well known indy in Bellevue and they only do Porsche so I feel like I'm in good hands. I'm having the rear raised up about a .25in and changed the settings on the PSS9's to 5 in the front and 7 in the rear....prior settings were ar 6 all around.

For those with the same suspension....what are your current ride settings?

Jay
Old 10-31-2007, 09:54 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JStuart
Dropped it off this AM and when I went back this afternoon they were just starting on it. The shop that is doing the work is a well known indy in Bellevue and they only do Porsche so I feel like I'm in good hands. I'm having the rear raised up about a .25in and changed the settings on the PSS9's to 5 in the front and 7 in the rear....prior settings were ar 6 all around.

Jay
Why softer in the rear? That will likely produce some understeer.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:39 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by JStuart

Jay
Is it Redmond Euro by any chance? If so they are a AWESOME shop.
Most likely you will not feel any difference in the dampening adjustments. My friend owns a shock dyno, & he found that the PSS9's really only have 2 adjustments, soft & hard. It did all affect the compression as well as rebound.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:46 PM
JStuart
Instructor

PCar...the changes were recommended at the shop.

Stealth...Chris Powell is doing the mechanical work and I think TruLine is the allignment shop...should be done today...I can't wait! The PO had the car corner balanced but I don't think I will...not sure I would even know the difference.

Jay
Old 11-01-2007, 02:57 PM
JStuart
Instructor

Just spoke with the shop and they were unable to raise the rear...looks like I need 4 loc washers before they will be able to do it. That also means they only aligned the front end and will wait for parts before finishing the the job. At this point I don't care...I just want to drive it.

Jay
Old 01-05-2008, 08:23 AM
964RSphil
Instructor

have you had any updates regarding the shimmy? I have a similar thing going on on my RS with 50K km's. It only really seems to happen on light throttle but a definate movement from the back. seems to do a little shimmy.

had a look at the joints and all but one on the lower arm seem good....

Cheers
Old 01-05-2008, 04:59 PM
JStuart
Instructor

Default Update for 964RSphil

The front end is much tighter and for the most part the shimmy has been eliminated...almost. This is frustrating to say the least! The shimmy is most pronounced when braking...but it doesn't happen every time the brakes are applied....so I don't think it's the rotors.

Best

Jay
Old 01-05-2008, 10:34 PM
Rick K
Rennlist Member

I had the same symptoms in my 95.

First, make sure you have a shop that knows what its doing perform a four wheel alignment - if its not aligned correctly, 993s can really act goofy/twitchy - the rear end will try to steer itself making the car seem twitchy.

I would also check out the bushings - good news is it appears someone on this board recently came up w/ a set of bushings for the front, so you don't have to replace the arms ($$) if it comes to that. But the rears can certainly cause you problems you're describing as well.

You are definitely going about this the right way, start w/ the smaller dollar things and work your way up.

Good luck!
Old 01-06-2008, 02:44 AM
964RSphil
Instructor

have you tried the diff plates?

Quick Reply: Tie rods