Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling Wheel Experts, TPMS questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 07:59 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Find out if you have valve mounted sensors or the center of the rim band mounted ones. You may have to pull a current wheel and have the tier dismounted and get a look at it. With my Mariner (at least it's a Hybrid) Ford used different band mounted senosrs so I have to take the tire down to see if I have a blue or black sensor unit (the part #'s are the same). After that just start looking around for a new set of sensors on eBay or where-ever, the dealer will rape you ($70/4 on eBay vs. $60 each/deal plus bands). Alternatively just use the ones on your current wheels. I don't know about p-cars, but with other manufacturers you can jumper the module to disable the idiot light, so a Google search. Good luck.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:32 PM
Mike M.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No quick expertise here, but I would figure the Tire Rack guys could chime in on that issue? (no affiliation) I figure they do volumes of sales for aftermarket wheels that incorporate new TPMS to work with the OEM systems. They may even be able to refer someone that can install them for you, too.

Phone number is 888-541-1777.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:41 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Mike,

I spoke with Jim at Tire Rack at length. They only carry TPMS-compatible wheels. However, I went to the Beru site (they supply the TPMS to Porsche). It looks like I can just take the valve stems and sensors off the OEM Cayman wheels and mount them on the Speedlines. Does not look like any special adaptations needed for the wheels. I'll work it out when the Speedlines arrive here.

CP

Quick Reply: Calling Wheel Experts, TPMS questions