Sponsored by:

Sway bar stabilizer boot replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 01:13 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts
Default Sway bar stabilizer boot replacement

Anyone just replaced a torn boot? If so where did you get it? I'm only finding the entire stabilizer, and the price for the M030 suspension part is twice the standard part.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:33 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

There is a place that provides 356 replacement rubber boots...I used them once on my SC to replace a torn boot. It worked like a hot damn. Unfortunately that is all I know, I have lost there reference. You might want to post on the 356 or Pelican boards.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 10-06-2007, 05:09 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I have successfully used these dust boots in past: search, and there may be a size that works for you.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:09 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Garth S
I have successfully used these dust boots in past: search, and there may be a size that works for you.
Oh yeah!

Just what I was looking for. Thanks much. At $150 per sway bar link, I can afford to buy a couple boot sizes to see if they work.

I'll just clean out the joint, pack it with grease and see if one of the boots fits. If not, no harm no foul.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:59 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Default Partial success

I didn't find boots that were an exact fit so it looks like I'll eventually have to replace the entire link. However, I think I substantially increased the life of the existing joint by repacking it with Lubri Moly grease, rotating the torn portion to the top, then adding the new boot over the existing one. It was fairly fixed in place without anything else but I added a tie wrap just for good measure.

Rather than remove the bolt, I instead just split the new boot and fitted it around the old one. With the two splits offset, it should keep out the dirt and water until I replace the entire link; and the new boot color matches the calipers.

I've seen cars go with torn boots for quite some time so this repair may end up being all I need for a while.

Last edited by autobonrun; 12-24-2014 at 04:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Sway bar stabilizer boot replacement