Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Will Vinyl on upper windshield affect V1 sensitivity?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 03:31 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Will Vinyl on upper windshield affect V1 sensitivity?

Was considering a vinyl sticker to block sun out at the top of the windshield since my V1 is mounted in a place that makes lowering the visor a problem. It sits just above the rearview on the driver side. I expect that the lazer detection will be affected from the front (maybe a good thing since so many Lexus with their cruise control sensors and LED tail lights becoming more prevalent causing false alarms). Whatchyall think? I read that some tints have metallic substance that could affect the radar detection capabilities.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:52 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

V1 has some info on their webite about tint strips blocking laser detection.

But the honest answer is that it doesn't matter much anyway, becuase V1 is totally useless against laser. I've learned that the hard way. A couple times.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:24 PM
ste993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
But the honest answer is that it doesn't matter much anyway, becuase V1 is totally useless against laser. I've learned that the hard way. A couple times.

Really? The V1 came highly recommended by rennlist members a few months ago and I was about to get one. What have your experiences been.... other than the obvious?
Old 10-24-2007, 04:31 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its not that the V1 isn't good, its that its virtually useless against radar or lidar. Other than having a lazer diffuser which some report are illegal in some states, there isn't much you can do about it. Lazer is almost impossible to get early warnings so once the V1 goes off you are already caught....unless you want to try to outrun the police that is!
Old 10-24-2007, 05:20 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Yup, that's right. V1 is great against radar, but useless against laser. So if your state uses laser (e.g. Ohio, etc) the V1 won't do you much good. Laser signals don't scatter like radar does, so the V1 (and I assume othe laser detectors) just can't pick it up unless you're getting hit directly, at which point it's obviously too late.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:04 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe the way to do it is to have a lidar (laser) jammer rigged up to a switch in addition to the V1. Cop shoots you, he gets an error message while you hit the brakes and switch off the jammer, he shoots again and gets you at 73 in a 55 instead of 90.

Of course, only do this if it is legal in your state...
Old 10-24-2007, 08:13 PM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know that Vinyl gives a better sound than a CD!!

Seriously though, the laser beam should travel in a straight line if you can see through the vinyl clearly, it shouldn't distort, so hopefully shouldn't cause an issue, not a scientific answer just my best guess.

Quick Reply: Will Vinyl on upper windshield affect V1 sensitivity?