Sponsored by:

OT: difference between user and member?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 10:34 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Portugal993
.. Just out of curiousity, do the owner's of the site make any money off of it?
I would be willing to bet that any excess $$ goes to the Rennwish charity that John and Jenn founded and support.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:01 PM
CN
Escapee
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gretch posts in OT. If you don't pay, you don't get Gretch!!!

Nuff said...
Old 10-23-2007, 11:49 PM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last year, I had my HID conversion kit installed by one of the RL guru in here for FREE!
Now, If that ain't worth 36 bucks,($18X2 yr) I don't know what is!
Old 10-24-2007, 01:19 AM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

To add to what's already been said, you'll often see folks offer parts for free or very cheap - but the offer is extended to paying members only. Same goes for group buys. And then there's the member-to-member classified section.

Plus you get that cool Rennlist sticker to put in your window!
Old 10-24-2007, 01:40 AM
HJK
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What you get is "belonging". You can look at it from a value for money perspective, which works out great with all the tips and help and support but also it's belonging to a bunch who love their cars and are spread all over the world. For me it's a daily retreat to scroll through the posts.....
Henk
Old 10-24-2007, 09:32 AM
goldcountryboy
Three Wheelin'

My top got stuck in half open position on my cabriolet.I posted my dilema and within five minutes I got a response on what to do to fix.I was so jazzed that I offered the fellow member a steak dinner.His response was just "pay it forward".That alone probably saved me hundreds of dollars.I love this forum!
Old 10-24-2007, 11:22 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I just read that post and became a member.
However, I had always assumed that this site did make money. As an interesting note, there are some erroneous statements on this thread. Users can post pictures. I've been doing it for months as a "user."
On another note, one of the reasons I have waited to join, and still wouldn't have, if I hadn't read the above post by John, is the attitude projected by many members toward users. I had assumed that the site made money, and that John had set up the rules for levels of participation based upon that. every time a member posted that "members" were more tolerant of other "members" it made me less inclined to join. Quite frankly, I was getting all I needed out of the site without a paid membership, and felt I was contributing to the group as a "user." Each post that tried to convince me to join because I would be tolerated more by "members" only strengthened my resolve.
In short, let's drop the "members are nicer to other members" argument and just sell it as: "the site loses money, let's help out."
I think it will help John out a lot more by using a good reason to join.
As always, my .02
Old 10-24-2007, 11:35 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, per those world-famous four words: "Membership has it's privileges".
Old 10-24-2007, 11:37 AM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
I just read that post and became a member.
However, I had always assumed that this site did make money. As an interesting note, there are some erroneous statements on this thread. Users can post pictures. I've been doing it for months as a "user."
On another note, one of the reasons I have waited to join, and still wouldn't have, if I hadn't read the above post by John, is the attitude projected by many members toward users. I had assumed that the site made money, and that John had set up the rules for levels of participation based upon that. every time a member posted that "members" were more tolerant of other "members" it made me less inclined to join. Quite frankly, I was getting all I needed out of the site without a paid membership, and felt I was contributing to the group as a "user." Each post that tried to convince me to join because I would be tolerated more by "members" only strengthened my resolve.
In short, let's drop the "members are nicer to other members" argument and just sell it as: "the site loses money, let's help out."
I think it will help John out a lot more by using a good reason to join.
As always, my .02
Do you post a picture by hotlinking or by uploading?
Old 10-24-2007, 11:54 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm not a computer geek so I'm not sure. I use photobucket and post an IMG thingy...Like this:

what's the difference?
Old 10-24-2007, 12:57 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I joined right away and it has been some of the best money I have spent. The resources are incredible, it has saved me lots of money. Plus Gretch is a classic.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:14 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It is the best $$$ I have ever spent on a web forum membership but Hustler.com is running a close second ......LOL.

ZP44

PS: just kidding about Hustler
Old 10-24-2007, 02:17 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZombiePorsche44
It is the best $$$ I have ever spent on a web forum membership but Hustler.com is running a close second ......LOL.

ZP44

PS: just kidding about Hustler
...you have link...?
Old 10-24-2007, 02:23 PM
ste993
Pro

I joined simply because I like the idea of contributing towards the running of a quality forum. Regardless of whether rennlist makes any money or not they put valuable time and effort into it and have bandwidth to pay for. The benefits thereafter are a bonus to me.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:58 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

I also would love to join, but I'm wondering if there's any other way to join other than via PayPal. Any one know of any other way to pay to join?

Quick Reply: OT: difference between user and member?