993 Forum 1995-1998

Brake Vaccum Booster weirdness...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 04:12 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Brake Vaccum Booster weirdness...

I think I have found the source of a brake problem I have been having but I thought I would ask around...here are the symptoms:

1 - Brakes are normal during the first 1-2 seconds of activation. You can modulate them fine and braking increases with pressure.

2 - After the 1-2 seconds the pedal remains firm but requires much more pressure to get the same braking. It feels like it just gets much harder.

3 - If you stand on the brakes they work just as well as usual but it requires lots of foot pressure. The pedal remains hard and does not sink to the floor.

4 - If you take your foot off the pedal and then reapply a few seconds later you have the same characteristic as (1).

5 - If the brake is pumped and pressured before startup and the car is started the brakes will "sink" a bit as the brake booster cuts in (which is normal)

6 - I have gotten a few CELs lately that indicated loading problems with the engine. This code usually means the engine is getting too much air for the fuel/load; i.e. there is a vacuum leak. The problem is not active now even with the braking problem.

I suspect its the vacuum brake booster. I have tested the vacuum line from the booster to the engine and its does not appear to leak. The car has not CELs (at the moment) I am not sure how to test the booster. The engine appears to have normal vacuum (with my crude guage).

This part is not common. I can get it from Sunset but its like 8 weeks out unless I pay the extra extortion money to Porsche to get it within 10 days. I have looked around on the net and there are various sources but Sunset is the cheapest. I am not sure if I should get a used unit ; I do not like to fool around with brakes.

So, does this sound like a failing vacuum booster and where can I source one cheaply?

All help is appreciated!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 10-22-2007, 10:11 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Mike, I have a used brake booster that came with a complete 993 front end I bought a few months ago. You are welcomed to it -- just cover the shipping.

The owner of the car this front end came from said everything worked fine before the crash
Old 10-22-2007, 01:21 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Chris,

Thanks very much! I will PM you with details...you gotta love this place!

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: Brake Vaccum Booster weirdness...