Sponsored by:

Problem With Bilstein Rear Shock Drop Link

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 09:06 PM
quasr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Problem With Bilstein Rear Shock Drop Link

This week I had a Bilstein HD shocks, Porsche lowering springs and M030 sway bars installed on my 993. I drove it about 300 miles today and after returning home, happen to be under it and spotted one of the new rear drop links had popped out of the socket at one end. Any ideas on whether or not this is just a defective part or poor installation? Thanks.
Attached Images   
Old 10-19-2007, 09:39 PM
quasr
Racer

Default Drop Link

Here is a shot of the other side to compare. Thanks.
Attached Images  
Old 10-19-2007, 09:42 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Installation error, as that swaybar mount moved........

The technician should have installed a locking collar below the upper swaybar mount to keep it from rotating.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:43 PM
slider
Rennlist Member

maybe just a defective part.....the only thing I know is that the top and bottom of link, where it attachs to the sway and to the shock, the link needs to be completely lined up when the car is off the jacks
Old 10-19-2007, 09:45 PM
quasr
Racer

Default Drop Link

Would the locking colar come with the kit or is it an added part. I supplied the parts from a kit I purchased from Viper Bob on Ebay. Thanks.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:51 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default Two (2) locking collars NOT optional....

Id two are not installed, there is a good chance the drop link mounting bracket, attached to the shock, will rotate. When this happens, the geometry goes critical...the drop link becomes misaligned and will break...sometimes you can even tear up the drop link mounting bracket {See below, for good and bar!}.

After eating numerous 993RS rear drop links...I had the secondary collars installed, added a patch of paint and made a scribe mark. I check to see if the scribe marks indicates a change.

I have also gone to Tarett Engineering drop links. They are extremely well crafted. I bought the front and the rear drop links...they are now up and running with my PSS9 suspension and my TRG sway bars. Tarett Engineering www.tarett.com
Attached Images  
Old 10-19-2007, 09:58 PM
quasr
Racer

Default Locking Collars

Roger that and thanks Martin. I will visit the site and order the recommended parts. I appreciate your input and the link.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:05 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Cool You need the locking collars and...

The Racers Group has the locking collars for the Bilstein shocks. Call and ask for Austin Ford. Austin is a good pal of Viper Bob. L<et him know if they are Bilstein HDs or PSS9s.

The drop links come from Tarett Engineering. Let them know I directed you to them...I get no $ or consideration. I just believe in the company and their products and want them to succeed!

I hope all is well soon for you.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:08 PM
quasr
Racer

Default Nice Guy!

Thanks Martin, will do. I appreciate your help. Hope they ship quickly as I just got my 993 back after a 5 week clutch job. At least it is now in my garage instead of a shop.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:25 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

This is something I wish Bilstein would address by simply adding lock collars to the kit. This is a typical occurrance with both the HD and the PSS9 kit. It seems to always happen with the right side, presumably due to thread direction and the plane in which the drop link thrusts with loads from the rear bar.

Now both shocks need to be removed, disassembled, add additional lock collars reinstall and in a perfect world, realign the car, or at least have the rear toe reset.

Sorry to hear of this. What a hassle!!
Old 10-20-2007, 12:24 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

And VB doesn't warn about this in his kit? Does anyone know? I recently had his kit installed.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:47 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts
Default Interesting.

This is the first I've heard of this locking collar unless I just missed reading about it in the install instructions. More than likely I'm going to try the install myself when I do the upgrade. I'm going back to read the p-car writeup and see if it's mentioned.

But, is the reason for the collar the shocks or the lowering springs? Why doesn't the stock suspension have to use them?

Glad you brought this little issue up Quasr.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:30 AM
Brett - 1996 C4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by autobonrun
This is the first I've heard of this locking collar unless I just missed reading about it in the install instructions. More than likely I'm going to try the install myself when I do the upgrade. I'm going back to read the p-car writeup and see if it's mentioned.

But, is the reason for the collar the shocks or the lowering springs? Why doesn't the stock suspension have to use them?
The stock suspension isn't height-adjustable like the HDs. Very obvious in this pic.

I swear I got the locking collars with my HDs from VB. I got it as part of the group buy last year though, not through his eBay sales.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:48 AM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ive run about 900 miles with PSS9s and so far no movement of the rear drop link mounts that I can detect. I occasionally look and had it inspected recently up on the rack in the shop I had the work done. Same story. Nothing. Hope it stays that way. My understanding is there is only one locking collar and its adding one more on the opposite side of the drop link mount that people are referring to here. I REALLY wish I'd known about adding a second locking collar to each side before having the bilsteins installed. Now I just have to drive around being paranoid about it or drop some serious coin on adding more locking collars and new alignment.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:49 AM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are 997 owners or 996 owners having similar issues with PSS9's and 10's?

Quick Reply: Problem With Bilstein Rear Shock Drop Link