Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What would be your top choices for mods?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 09:29 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 519 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by gr8nine93
What is a Gxx-21 trans and what advantage is that over re-=gearing your box this side of the pond?
$6k is cheap complared to re-gear. I will do a search here as well.
Lots of info can be found w/ search

here's one thread
Old 10-23-2007, 08:15 PM
BEATSPX
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 98 Corvette (stock) and truly enjoyed it. Even when I had a head-on collusion at 35mph in it (both going about 35, so make that approximate equivalent of doing 70 mph into a solid cement wall). Got tagged in an intersection while looking the wrong way. Engine dropped, airbags deployed, and I literally walked away with one scratch on my nose (my glasses were fortunately flung into the trunk (it was a coupe) instead of my face... but I digress.

Always wanted a silver 993 and decided life was too short, decided to get one. From a complete novice's perspective (certainly accurate description of me 4 yrs ago, now graduated to just ignorant), the first thing I missed was the torque the vette gave me my Porsche didn't.

One of the first things I did was get LWF + short-shift kit + Rennsport Systems chip upgrade. Heard the stories about stalling and the LWF and was obviously concerned. Found out about Steve Weiner and his performance chip. The rumor was that his chip was one of a select few that eliminated the stalling issue.

No rumor... The chip was right on the mark. I couldn't drive a more than 2-3 miles without the car stalling out on me *before* I installed the chip. The Rennsport Systems chip not only took care of that problem, but changed a couple characteristics of the engine that after the mods were done I no longer was missing the torque from the vette.

Highly recommend the chip.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:56 PM
gr8nine93
Instructor

Hi Beatspx:
I was really hoping you were on the west coast cause I am in limbo on the mods. Steve really wants me to go with the re-gear but I agree with someone else here who is reluctant to do a big trans overhaul if all is fine....and I have a pretty new clutch. I thoiught I might start with the chip and see if I feel any difference, but I sure would like to drive a re-geared 993 before a i pony up the big bucks for re-gear. I loved the tork of my 74 S with six webers and totally tricked motor. That thing just launched and I miss that. But is it worth $10k??? I'd rather throw a few hundred for a chip and then see. Thanks for taking the time to write/. WIsh your car was here. If there is anyone in Oregon or Northern cali that would take me for a spin in their re-geared car I will buy them dinner at their choice of venue.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:42 PM
wayne993
Instructor

1) suspension - this is obvious as it's nearly everyone's first choice (I wonder about the others :-) )
2) Since you've got the RS/LTW I'd say seats/harnesses/half bar (that's only one item, right)?
3) If you don't count driver training, RS bodywork. Otherwise, driver training.

Bonus item - since you have to do it some time anyway - try Michelin PS2s next time you change
tires.

I like the thinking of the guys saying do the 9M engine - but if you have 30k for your engine, plus another
few k for the other things, you have maybe $40k to sell your car and get a 996 GT3... and then
get the driver training.

BTW, you can do all the mods you want to your car. If you want to be able to drive faster, safer,
forget all the bling and do driver training. OK, check that - get the suspension upgrade and then
do the driver training.

Quick Reply: What would be your top choices for mods?