Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Oil Change/Interval Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 09:44 PM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have changed the oil on my P-Cars once a year regardless of mileage.
I do wonder how leaving oil in the car that has only 1500 miles on it does any real damage. I know it breaks down over time but just curious. What contaminents does the oil pick up from sitting in the container on a shelf in a garage through different heat cycles for a year, 2 years, etc.
Just thinking out loud.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:00 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many complaints about getting the second filter off but once you do it a couple of times it's really not hard (just a little messy). The P-car advice to remove an oil line is definitely incorrect. If you remove the orange boot to the hot air ventilation intake on passenger side it's not too hard to get to. Just need a bottom-mount filter wrench to get it out easy.

Also seen comments about needing a container to catch 11 quarts. Good news - you really only need to catch the six or so quarts from the oil tank, which you can put into a jug, then catch the other four or five from the crank case.

I can't advise on (temporal) longevity of oil since I drive 25K a year. Changing mine every 10K right now.

Dave
Old 10-18-2007, 12:15 AM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I plan on changing mine yearly.....i STORE IT for the winter, and have been told that you dont want used oil sitting for months cause of the acids, I think.......and then in the spring, she's ready to go!
Old 10-18-2007, 12:28 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by black ice
Also seen comments about needing a container to catch 11 quarts. Good news - you really only need to catch the six or so quarts from the oil tank, which you can put into a jug, then catch the other four or five from the crank case.

Dave
with each oil change on the 993, I typically only get a quart or two out of the crankcase where about 7-9 come from the oil tank. Even it the car is cold and has sat for some time.

Do any of you really get that much from the crankcase?

For intervals, since I track the car as often as possible, I typically change it every two track days, both filters, always.

GBX oil every fourth track day or once a year, whichever comes first. And always hope not to see chunks in the GBX oil
Old 10-18-2007, 10:30 AM
V
Drifting

Default Fresh oil before or after putting her to sleep?

Originally Posted by 993C4Smontreal
I plan on changing mine yearly.....i STORE IT for the winter, and have been told that you dont want used oil sitting for months cause of the acids, I think.......and then in the spring, she's ready to go!
That's an interesting thought. I have (or had) mine garaged (warm) for about 6 out of 12 months each year (due to the weather here in Sweden). I always did the yearly oil and filter change in the spring when taking the car out of the garage. Would you guys suggest that it is better to service the car last thing I do before putting it to rest for 6months? This would mean that fresh oil is in the system although just sitting there for six months (occasional heat cycles during winter if weather conditions allow). I always thought it would be better to start fresh in spring with an oilchange and then go??

TIA
Old 10-18-2007, 09:27 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe Chris is right on more coming from the tank - I have been spoiled using my friend's garage which has one of those big 30 gallon catch cans. But I do think I get at least a couple of quarts if not more out of the crank case.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:59 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

Mine gets changed every 3000 miles or 1 year, which ever comes first. Since I don't put 3000 miles on either Porsche in a year, they both get changed annually regardless of the mileage.

It's like taking vitamins; probably doesn't do a lot of good but you feel like it does.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:26 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
Do you do both filters also?
Yes, but I wouldn't argue w/ someone that said they only do the engine filter every other oil change. In fact, I think I recall reading that Porsche recommends changing that filter every other time, but I don't remember where I read it.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:40 PM
911C2
Racer

OK so no one seems to talk about dumping the oil out of the cooler. I disconect the line under the second oil filter, dump the oil out of the cooler, chagne both filters. I do mine once per year, or 5000 WECF.
Actually I get a bit **** at the end, I disconnect both coils and crank for about 20 to 25 seconds to build oil pressure and nut run combustion against the mains.

Yeap its expensive and makes a big mess, I surely do not want to find out how much an engine OH is.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:16 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 911C2
...I disconnect both coils and crank for about 20 to 25 seconds to build oil pressure and nut run combustion against the mains...

Doesn't just pulling the DME accomplish the same thing?? If my car sits for more than a week (rarely) that what I've done.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:20 PM
User 121721
Racer

My service advisor at the dealer I have been taking my car to for the last 6 years for oil changes (Pioneer Porsche in San Diego) told me the last time I was in there that Porsche has officially changed the recommended oil change intervals for 993s to every TWO years, or 15,000 miles, whichever comes first.

When a dealer tells me they want to work on my car LESS often I tend to believe it's a legitimate recommendation. Of course, they overfilled the sumab**ch the last time I brought it in so they're not going to get another look at my car again anyway....

Mark
'98 C4 Cab
Old 11-08-2007, 07:14 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Hmmm, I read somewhere that having the oil in the engine for a bit longer is actually better for the engine. The conclusion of the study is always having fresh oil in the engine is worse than having slightly used oil over the long term. some of the chemistry changes in the oil...but I can't find the reference.

I change mine when it needs it, usually once a year. With the hoist its a snap anyways....

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-08-2007, 07:57 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You recall correctly. It's stated in my 993 maintenance book.

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Yes, but I wouldn't argue w/ someone that said they only do the engine filter every other oil change. In fact, I think I recall reading that Porsche recommends changing that filter every other time, but I don't remember where I read it.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:14 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Hmmm, I read somewhere that having the oil in the engine for a bit longer is actually better for the engine. The conclusion of the study is always having fresh oil in the engine is worse than having slightly used oil over the long term. some of the chemistry changes in the oil...but I can't find the reference.

I change mine when it needs it, usually once a year. With the hoist its a snap anyways....

Cheers,

Mike
Mike,
Check the archives on the 928 forum for "oil analysis report" by Doug Hillary: there are ~10 such reports - which track the saturation curve of fresh oils ( with various contaminants/wear items) .... and the leveling out of their concentrations early in the verrrry long service life of synthetic oils.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:11 AM
David Schiff
Instructor

boy its getting cheaper to run my 993! plugs at over 60K,
Oil change at 15-18k
have 102k on "Red Dog", drive 20k/y., still in love with it! not a "hangar Queen"
fwiw, air cooled aircraft engines go to time between overhauls[tbo] more often if not stored and runoften, but most cylinders are not chromed. having flown for over 20yrs im told the cheapest thing you can do for your engine is run it. i see no substative diff. with the Pcar.
i dont think i abuse it, but i run it hard when the temp is off the peg.
hope ive not hijacked.
thanks
ds

Quick Reply: Oil Change/Interval Questions