Immobilizer Remote Range Sucks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 11:16 AM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by baja272
3 feet away on a good day, I have both remotes with fresh batteries and additional batteries in the door compartment, why you ask?
and don't forget the screwdriver needed to change the batteries - buy a cheapie and keep it with the spares
Old 10-18-2007, 12:06 PM
palladio
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

I did lots of searches and posted on this several months ago. Someone mentioned an antenna under the passenger seat but I wasn't able to locate it.

Mine works at about 2-3 feet max. As if that's not annoying enough, I often have to press it several times even if held right up to the door or sitting in the car. And yes, I have replaced the batteries.

My new key fob battery from a Porsche dealer = $18.35

Standing in the pouring rain next to your shiny Porsche getting drenched, pressing away like an obsessed monkey wondering why the new battery didn't help, while onlookers stare and wonder how someone who could afford a Porsche is not technically competent enough to operate a key fob.....
PRICELESS!!!

One would think that with all the expertise on this board, someone would have found a technical mod/fix for this widespread problem by now. Maybe we should pass the hat and set up a prize for the guy who comes up with it!
Old 10-18-2007, 12:33 PM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 993C4Smontreal
for those of you who did the key fob mod away from the switchbalde.....do u sometimes have to "tap" the fob to get it to work and get the red light to work when pressing it?
I sometimes have problems like that with mine. To fix it I remove the cover on the fob, take the battery out, and bend the battery contacts towards each other a bit so they "squeeze" the battery a little tighter. Every couple of months I repeat the process.

-Chris
Old 10-18-2007, 11:16 PM
Bob G
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, try this - and it is not a joke. As you are approaching your car hold the fob against your chin and push the button...................You have to act like you are scratching your chin so that you don't look too looney.................but it works. Read about this in another post years and years ago. A friend of my was complaining about the short distance and I showed her this trick and she was amazed. Turned her whole body into a high powered antena. Usually I have to be about 5-6 feet away, but using the whole body antena method I'm good from 20-25 feet! Not great by any means but good old yankee injunuity. Probably didn't spell that right..............
Old 10-19-2007, 12:51 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

OK I don't know if this is an urban myth, but someone once told me that there's some truth to the notion that putting a car remote to your chin and pressing it increases the range. Something about how your cranium acts as sort of a echo chamber and magnifies the signal. Who knows.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:33 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Guys, what does it matter, no matter how far you are away when the remote works, you cant open the door until you are next to the car!!!....For ref mine works at 10-20 feet, but I seldom use it until I am close to the car....no point
Old 10-19-2007, 09:45 AM
tom97c4s
Rennlist Member

I get about 3 feet on my Porsche and I get up to 1 MILE with the Autopage remote start that I added to my Honda Pilot. Maybe there is a way to hook up the Autopage to the Porsche?
Old 10-19-2007, 09:48 AM
tom97c4s
Rennlist Member

Here is a link http://www.autopageusa.com/t_inside....5-ebe9de1a12be
Old 10-19-2007, 12:10 PM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

About 3.5 inches... and that's on a good day....
Old 10-21-2007, 01:21 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
Mine is about 40 feet; it's a mix bag..do a search as it's been discussed not too long ago.

Update:Tested from the tennis court to the parking lot, easily more than 65 feet...woo hoo, if I could only program the other two ..
Old 10-21-2007, 01:39 PM
Portugal993

HAHA i get a meter on mine. My mom's mercedes is like 50 metres! NOT FAIR..grrr
Old 10-21-2007, 03:22 PM
MDamen
Pro

Someone must know where the antenna is and figure a way to get it to work better. I noticed a lot of the replies are from the northwest. We're heading into the perpetual rainy season (as opposed to often rainy) and folks are looking for a way to spend a little less time in the rain. I'm not too concerned when walking up to the car, becuase you obviously can't open the door until you are there, but as soon as I get out, I'd like to start walking away but can't risk getting more than a foot away from the door while pressing multiple times and then resort to the remote-to-the-chin thing. I've heard theories on touching the remote to your chin. It may also be the orientation. Most people aim the remote like it will emit a beam out the key. Try holding the key straight up while pressing the button.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:53 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've noticed that my transmitters work better if I hold them up above the door body when I push the button. My guess is that the receiving antenna is inside the car and the signal goes through the glass easier than the metal. Holding the transmitter at your chin may give it a better shot through the glass as opposed to holding at waist height where the signal has to go through the door.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:00 AM
PDriver
Intermediate

The immobilzer control unit is located under the left seat next to the DME. There is no extra antenna cable that is running out of the control unit. Look at the picture to see an open unit. On the left top side you can see the antenna design copper field. It may be different for other frequencies.

BTW, the guy who made this layout should be fired...

The control units housing is made from plastic and the metal cover has one or two holes (upper mid area near th red switch in the image below). This holes are very important for the range I think. Maybe someone can test the remote control range with metal cover removed and post the results...

PDriver

Quick Reply: Immobilizer Remote Range Sucks!!!