Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Alternator and Engine Hareness Fried- Ideas?

Old 10-16-2007, 06:28 PM
bmxracer4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator and Engine Hareness Fried- Ideas?

I have a 97' 993 2S. This all started when I brought the car in for some body work on the drivers door and left fender. When I went to pick up the car, the shop told me it was at the dealer getting the ABS light reset......Hmmm.

After many questions and finding a blown fuse behind the radio, they finally admitted to having to jump start the car because the front hood was left open (story still in question). So 1 month later I was driving and the ABS and battery light comes on...low voltage. We checked the voltage at the battery, 12.2 with the car off, 11.8 with it running. Bad alternator... I bring down to the dealership and when they pull the alternator out of the fan shroud, the main wire is melted. We currently have a wire harnees on order from Germany and I am out 3K and my car for a month.

I have had zero issues with this car for the 3 years I have owned it.

Has anyone lese seen this issue. This is not one of the VIN's under the recall. The battery does not appear to be cooked. We haven't pulled the harness out yet, so we don't know where the short is (starter maybe, something near the parts being worked on?). All other wiring seems to be OK (ie, ignition, battery to starter). The car would start fine.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-16-2007, 06:38 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds to me like they reversed the jumper cables. You may want to address the melted wire only before running down a new harness.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:58 PM
bmxracer4
Intermediate

Default Ideas?

Joe,

Thanks for the response, I talked to the manager of the body shop and we really can't prove someone hooked the cables up backwards. If this was the case, though, wouldn't they have fried the ECM? Why would the wire from the alternator to the starter melt the insulation?

I have several theories, 1 being that they hooked up the cables and it fried the regulator, then my alternator started putting out 18V and cooked the wire. The battery did not boil over, though.

It sounds more like a short on that wire or in the starter. We haven't pulled the harness out yet or checked continuity on these items, but I was wondering if anyone else had a similar issue.

Thanks again
Old 10-17-2007, 01:14 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

What are you referring to with "3k"? Surely not the harness.

Sounds like the shop is unwilling to admit guilt....

Andreas
Old 10-17-2007, 01:16 PM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi! Bad luck, if it's a wrong connection have a look here :https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=fried+harness

Cheers
JP
Old 10-17-2007, 01:22 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 382 Posts

Two questions:

Was the harness changed under the factory recall?

Did the shop follow the directions to jump start outlined in your owner's manual? (Let THEM tell you about the specific procedure they used rather than tip your hand about following the owner's manual.)
Old 10-17-2007, 01:36 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bmxracer4
Joe,

Thanks for the response, I talked to the manager of the body shop and we really can't prove someone hooked the cables up backwards. If this was the case, though, wouldn't they have fried the ECM? Why would the wire from the alternator to the starter melt the insulation?
One way to tell is to inspect the battery terminals. Look for burn marks or pit marks. The ECU won't necessarily fry, but the radio fuse will blow as you've experienced. Also, note that you can damage an ECU and the car may still run. In other words, you should open it up to insure there is no damage.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:09 PM
bmxracer4
Intermediate

Default Thanks

I read through this post...https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=fried+harness

Very interesting.

I have been working with the manager of the body shop and they are helping me with the bill, which is very much appreciated. The dealership has also been very helpful in discounting parts and working with me.

Unfortunately this is a VIN not covered under the recall. The harness shipped from Germany in 4 days, which must be a record. I should have the car back early next week.

Thanks again for everyones input.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alternator and Engine Hareness Fried- Ideas?