Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What state did this occur in?
Old 11-06-2007, 08:14 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay guys, don't shoot me here but I was a Calif. DMV Hearing Officer in a past life and held many Neg Op hearings so I thought you might be interested in having some feeback.

Believe it or not but going in without an attorney often works better for this particular type of hearing. When you have an attorney in this situation they will usually do most of the talking. What the Hearing Officer is actually interested in is hearing from the driver how they will be changing their driving habits. From experience I can tell you this works best when it is a one-on-one conversation without the attorney there. Much the same way when you've been stopped by a cop and if you don't come off with a bunch of attitude you can sometimes drive away without a ticket.

You are certainly entitled to have legal representation if you wish but this is a case where you may actually be better off saving your money.

Also, I don't like the idea that an attorney represents himself as being a Hearing Officer's lunch buddy, that smacks of payola or favoritism.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:40 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

payola, favoritism in our "justice" system

I'm shocked sir !!

jack
Old 11-07-2007, 12:07 AM
alalrivera
Intermediate

I agree with (prshguy) go without an attorney the hearing officer wants to hear it from you. Be remorseful explain to the hearing officer how you will change and what you are planning to do this. Go with a plan in mind. Save your money and if your plan works and you pull it off, please slow down and drive safely!

Good luck!
Old 11-07-2007, 10:57 AM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alalrivera
I agree with (prshguy) go without an attorney the hearing officer wants to hear it from you. Be remorseful explain to the hearing officer how you will change and what you are planning to do this. Go with a plan in mind. Save your money and if your plan works and you pull it off, please slow down and drive safely!

Good luck!
Bingo!

Quick Reply: Suspended license