Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Does going from 17in to 18in wheels reduce braking power?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 03:10 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo3
Martin, you are only the third person I've run across who knows how to correctly pronounce "forte". So, you are forgiven for mis-spelling "brake", but don't ever let it happen again, mister....

-Jim
Interesting. I always thought it was pronounced "FOR-tay". Thanks for the pronunciation lesson.

It seems that Dictionary.com does not have a clear consensus: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/forte

forte1 /fɔrt, foʊrt or, for 1, ˈfɔrteɪ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[fawrt, fohrt or, for 1, fawr-tey]
–noun 1. a strong point, as of a person; that in which one excels: I don't know what her forte is, but it's not music.
2. the stronger part of a sword blade, between the middle and the hilt (opposed to foible).

The word is derived from the French word fort "strong." A two-syllable pronunciation /ˈfɔrteɪ/[fawr-tey] is increasingly heard, especially from younger educated speakers, perhaps owing to confusion with the musical term forte, pronounced in English as /ˈfɔrteɪ/[fawr-tey] and in Italian as /ˈfɔrtɛ/[fawr-te]. Both the one- and two-syllable pronunciations of forte are now considered standard.

Quick Reply: Does going from 17in to 18in wheels reduce braking power?