Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about VIN body panel stickers....

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 09:53 PM
ssarchi
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about VIN body panel stickers....

Two questions regarding these stickers that is just killing me:

1. When opening the front hood there is the large option code sticker and a smaller sticker to the left. What does this sticker say, as mine is painted? Is yours painted? Or do I have a repainted hood? Strange though that the option code sticker is pristine with no sign of having been masked.

2. Do the doors have stickers that have VIN numbers on them and if so, where might they be?

thanks
Old 10-13-2007, 10:10 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ssarchi
Two questions regarding these stickers that is just killing me:

1. When opening the front hood there is the large option code sticker and a smaller sticker to the left. What does this sticker say, as mine is painted? Is yours painted? Or do I have a repainted hood? Strange though that the option code sticker is pristine with no sign of having been masked.

2. Do the doors have stickers that have VIN numbers on them and if so, where might they be?

thanks
Here's a photo of my hood sticker and of a sticker w/the VIN that should be in all 993 drivers door jambs. My camera-holding ability was a little shaky - shoulda' used a tripod
Attached Images   
Old 10-13-2007, 10:29 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Marlon, the VIN stickers he's talking about are diff. They're stickers w/ just the VIN on each of the major body panels that signify the originality of the panels. I'll try and get a photo of my hood sticker tomorrow.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:31 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Marlon, the VIN stickers he's talking about are diff. They're stickers w/ just the VIN on each of the major body panels that signify the originality of the panels. I'll try and get a photo of my hood sticker tomorrow.
Are they those little white paper stickers? Seems like it fell off the hood already...
Old 10-13-2007, 10:35 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, but I'm not sure they're paper on my '97....may be.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:36 PM
ssarchi
Burning Brakes

Bill- right
but to clarify, I am wondering where the door sticker (not the jamb sticker) is located

The first question had to do with a small sticker located near my option sticker that is painted over. I have no idea what it said, but more importantly WHY it is painted. Painted by Porsche or some body guy from my cars previous owner? The option code sticker is wrinkly, yet readable and there is no sign of it being masked during a hood interior re-paint- so then why the small sticker (I assume it was a sticker) with paint on it. I also assume that to pull off an option sticker would probably destroy it..... this is like some kind of forensic sticker analysis.....
thanks

Ultimately, I am trying to determine if the car I just bought has had its hood repainted- either unbeknown to the second owner or ...... done by the second owner and not shared with me, the third owner.

Photos to follow......
Old 10-14-2007, 11:53 AM
ssarchi
Burning Brakes

Does anyone have an opinion on this one?
Old 10-14-2007, 05:23 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Let's see some pics!

Andreas

Quick Reply: Question about VIN body panel stickers....