Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

When is the MD/VA/DC/BALT Fall meet-n-greet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 11:04 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Trinitony - I'm IN for Sunday, the 18th of November.
10am-1130am at Starbucks again in Rockville?
Nice 50-60 minute drive from there to a restaurant?
Lunch around 1230-1245 somewhere?
I'm all about that

Steve R
Ok, Steve is in, David, Andreas, Larry..anybody...

I'm in...
Old 10-13-2007, 11:17 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Gonna try and make it.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:51 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 435 Posts

It's set then. The 18th it is. I would be happy to design an under 1 hour drive to Roy's Place unless Andreas wants to do that. I could make up the flyers as well. If you guys like that idea, I'll start a new thread. If someone else wants to do it, I'm happy with that as well.

In the end, it's truly... all good.

Steve R
Old 10-13-2007, 11:57 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

It's set then. The 18th it is. I would be happy to design an under 1 hour drive to Roy's Place unless Andreas wants to do that. I could make up the flyers as well. If you guys like that idea, I'll start a new thread. If someone else wants to do it, I'm happy with that as well.

In the end, it's truly... all good.

Steve R
Luving the idea...go for it!
Old 10-13-2007, 11:57 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Steve,
Have at it. I'm busy devising a solution for "The Rattler".

Andreas
Old 10-14-2007, 12:19 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Done. Look for a new thread very soon!

Don't laugh, but the house we wanted in N. Potomac fell through due to the home inspection report which said the roof was shot and needed replacement immediately to the tune of $27k for the cedar shake mandatory replacement,
4K for new gutters and vinyl wrap under the gutters, the A/C unit, Water Heater and Heating system were all 16 years old and marginal, there was alot of rotted wood on the exterior we didn't catch and some other stuff totally around $55k. The owner only offered $2k towards repairs so we decided to walk on the deal. That same day I was told my job of 20 years will be ending within 3 months. A new regional manager had a meeting with us (first time meeting him) and he said our position as territory sales reps will longer will no longer be needed. Bummer... I haven't seriously looked for a sales job in 20 years. Back to square one, and potentially square one money.

Our house is on the market for sale, and my wife really wants to move to N. Potomac to be closer to her daughter who lives there with her daddy M-F (we have her on weekends). This morning we brainstormed on some way to still buy this house... I had this desperate, early morning obsession that I could sell my BMW and 993, raise the extra $50k in cash that we need and still be able to get it. I rationalized it as: I could drive my wife's Acura RL which has no repairs needed for many years (we have an 8 year warranty on it) and she'd get a 1 year old Honda Accord sedan (she was ok with this plan, as long as we got the house).

Later in the morning I came to my senses and told her there's no way I could sell my 993. I pulled up the thread I started a few weeks ago and read her some of the responses so she got an understanding of what that little cars means to me.

Plus, if I sold it AND my BMW, what the heck would I do at night with all the extra time I'd have? I spend alot of time surfing Rennlist and bimmerboard for cool car stories. I LOVE this place and bimmerboard. I'd really miss it.

We thought, earlier this morning if we dumped both of my cars, we'd save $6k+ per year to spend on the house as well. That's how much it costs to fix them ($3k per car per year). As I'm sitting here typing this now, in retrospect, that was a dumb idea. Nice houses are great, but damn... I'm in my car ALOT during the day. I want a nice car and maybe a bit less house. Nice cars... they're so underrated.

As we drove through Lakelands and Kentlands MD today looking at a few less expensive homes (than the one we first fell in love with but is now a bit too much), she commented that hardly anyone drives flashy MB's, BMW's or Porsches up there. She offered that people care more about their houses and families than driving showy cars in this area.

Women... I love her, but she doesn't get me sometimes

Steve R
Old 10-14-2007, 12:24 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Done. Look for a new thread very soon!

Don't laugh, but the house we wanted in N. Potomac fell through due to the home inspection report which said the roof was shot and needed replacement immediately to the tune of $27k for the cedar shake mandatory replacement,
4K for new gutters and vinyl wrap under the gutters, the A/C unit, Water Heater and Heating system were all 16 years old and marginal, there was alot of rotted wood on the exterior we didn't catch and some other stuff totally around $55k. The owner only offered $2k towards repairs so we decided to walk on the deal. That same day I was told my job of 20 years will be ending within 3 months. A new regional manager had a meeting with us (first time meeting him) and he said our position as territory sales reps will longer will no longer be needed. Bummer... I haven't seriously looked for a sales job in 20 years. Back to square one, and potentially square one money.

Our house is on the market for sale, and my wife really wants to move to N. Potomac to be closer to her daughter who lives there with her daddy M-F (we have her on weekends). This morning we brainstormed on some way to still buy this house... I had this desperate, early morning obsession that I could sell my BMW and 993, raise the extra $50k in cash that we need and still be able to get it. I rationalized it as: I could drive my wife's Acura RL which has no repairs needed for many years (we have an 8 year warranty on it) and she'd get a 1 year old Honda Accord sedan (she was ok with this plan, as long as we got the house).

Later in the morning I came to my senses and told her there's no way I could sell my 993. I pulled up the thread I started a few weeks ago and read her some of the responses so she got an understanding of what that little cars means to me.

Plus, if I sold it AND my BMW, what the heck would I do at night with all the extra time I'd have? I spend alot of time surfing Rennlist and bimmerboard for cool car stories. I LOVE this place and bimmerboard. I'd really miss it.

We thought, earlier this morning if we dumped both of my cars, we'd save $6k+ per year to spend on the house as well. That's how much it costs to fix them ($3k per car per year). As I'm sitting here typing this now, in retrospect, that was a dumb idea. Nice houses are great, but damn... I'm in my car ALOT during the day. I want a nice car and maybe a bit less house. Nice cars... they're so underrated.

As we drove through Lakelands and Kentlands MD today looking at a few less expensive homes (than the one we first fell in love with but is now a bit too much), she commented that hardly anyone drives flashy MB's, BMW's or Porsches up there. She offered that people care more about their houses and families than driving showy cars in this area.

Women... I love her, but she doesn't get me sometimes

Steve R

Keep looking.. there're lot of houses out there for sale. Have you taken a look in the Kingsfarm area? It's some what like Kentlands, but much newer and still within a few miles radius from your daughter.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:29 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Just re-read your resposne..yes cedar shake is exxxxpensive...
Old 10-14-2007, 01:28 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Whoops... I just put together a new thread, posted it on the 993 forum, was about to post it on the 996 forum when I saw his thread there about a Rennlist Meet and Drive for Nov 18th at the Starbucks in Germantown!

Uh, it would be stupid to have 2 "Meet and Drives" on the same day, so I guess I'll just bow out at this point.

This is what I just posted and deleted... so...I guess, disregard this drive I've planned as Bull has planned one already.

"MD/DC/N. VA Rennlist "Meet and Drive" Sunday, 11/18 10am in Rockville, MD "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next MD/DC/N. VA Rennlist "Meet and Drive" will be held Nov. 18th at the Starbucks in Rockville, MD at Mid Pike Plaza (11802 Rockville Pike).

For those of you that have sat on the couch wondering "Huh, should I get out and finally go to one of these events? I wonder if it would be any fun? Maybe I won't fit in? Maybe I'll feel out of place? But I don't know any of these guys..."

Fear not, you are in for a real treat of a day. As long as it's not torrentially raining, it'll be a blast! Just show up at 10am (or whenever you care to come up till 1130am when we start a drive through the "country" to the restaurant). It's a great chance to check out some really cool Porsches and meet the friendly faces behind the avatars and signatures.

People show up around 10am. If you can only come for a little while, please do. If you care to do the drive portion as well, even better. If you want to stay after the drive for a great sandwich at "Roy's Place Restaurant", our final destination, all the better. There are 210 sandwiches to choose from, so hopefully you'll find something there you'll like. Lunch will be around 1230pm and is very inexpensive (see menu below)
http://www.roysplacerestaurant.com/menu.html

Please let me know if you think you'll come for the lunch part of the day as I've made a reservation for 50 people and it would nice to get a general idea of how many will make it. If it's too much of a hassle to let me know in advance, no worries... the restaurant is very large and can swallow up alot of people.

Hope everyone is enjoying the great, dry weather we've been having and I look forward to seeing many of you soon. The more new people that can come out, the better.

Have friends, will travel."

Steve R
Old 10-14-2007, 06:07 AM
bull30
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry Steve.... Moved it up the Pike a few miles due to complaints received at the spring meet but still wanted to keep it at a Starbucks...

Some of the complaints were as follows:

Not enough parking to accomodate the cars around Starbucks...
Too much traffic in the parking lot...
Store owners voiced complaints (except starbucks of course)...
Too many traffic lights leaving the area for the drive...

I used the lot in Germantown in May and it worked out great so I figured we would give it a try... It's right off 270 takes the same amoun t of time to get to as the site on Rockville Pike...

Quick Reply: When is the MD/VA/DC/BALT Fall meet-n-greet?