Spark plug wire HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 10:56 PM
nbuyabis
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Spark plug wire HELP!

Hi guys,

I have managed to mess up the location of the spark plug wires on the distributor. I have found out that i received two new distributors with different numbering than the old one already installed.
Is their a way to figure out this mess. ( i foolishly didn't number the spark plug wires). Can anyone help the idiot within me to figure out what goes where.

Thanks in Advance.

Ps. I was smart enough to get my distributor belt replaced but messed up something much easier.

Najeeb
------------------------
'95 993
Old 10-11-2007, 11:06 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=nbuyabis;4666513]Hi guys,

I have managed to mess up the location of the spark plug wires on the distributor. I have found out that i received two new distributors with different numbering than the old one already installed.
Is their a way to figure out this mess. ( i foolishly didn't number the spark plug wires). Can anyone help the idiot within me to figure out what goes where.

Thanks in Advance.

Maybe first google the web to find a 993 firing order/sequence chart. There also might be a chart in your owners manual. (I believe I recall older 911's having a firing order schematic on a foil decal in the engine bay). I think when you find the #1 cylinder upper or lower plug that coressponds with the correct cap, you will be good to go for a slow and tedious tracing of each wire to its proper home on the correct cap.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:14 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

As a start, this decal should be on your old distributor cap.

The plugs are number from 1-2-3 on the drivers side of the engine, 4-5-6 on the passenger's. The number 1 & 4 are toward the rear of the engine, 3 & 6 are closest to the rear seat. The ""I" bank is the top bank, the "II" bank is the bottom bank of plugs.

I am writing this from memory but I think you should be able to figure it out from here.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:24 PM
nbuyabis
Advanced

thanks guys

so #1 spark plug wire should be where the rotor points at TDC#1..and then i should follow 1..6..2.4.3.5. correct?

sorry for being a PIA
-----
'95 993
Old 10-11-2007, 11:28 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yep, that is the firing order. Did you notice the decal shows exactly which plug wire goes where?
Old 10-11-2007, 11:31 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your dist. caps have the cyl. numbers on it. I think there are only two ways for the caps to go on, 180 deg. difference. You need to put the rotors on withOUT those little black sheaths on first. Rotors only fit on one way. Then you turn the engine over by hand and line up the Z1 mark on the pulley with the notch on the fan housing. The upper dist. rotor is then either at TDC or 180 deg. off. TDC is when the rotor points toward the very tiny notch on the outside of the dist. housing. If it's off, turn the engine over again to Z1. Once you have that all lined up, pull the rotors off, put the thin black sheaths back on, then put the rotors on, then screw the caps on. Then connect the wires from each cyl. on the cap terminals with the corresponding cyl. #'s on them. Look up my plug wire thread for photos.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:36 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here ya go.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...t=wires&page=5
Old 10-12-2007, 01:00 AM
nbuyabis
Advanced

so where the Z1 mark is on the fan pulley and where the rotor points is cylinder 1.

please mind my ignorance at this, i thought it was going to be a little bit easier than that

thanks again.

Najeeb
----------------
'95 993
Old 10-12-2007, 10:07 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think the Z1 mark has some red or pink paint on it, or at least it does on my car. It's the biggest notch on the pulley. Don't mean to sound like an a$s, but if you can't find it, you shouldn't be doing this job, certainly not alone anyway. TDC on the primary or intake dist. will be when the rotor points to a notch or line on the rim of the dist. at about 1 or 2 o'clock AND when and only when the Z1 mark on the pulley is perfectly lined up with the notch on the fan housing. Do not turn your engine back counterclockwise if you miss it. Just keep going clockwise another 359 or so deg. until it all lines up.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:08 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

This first two photos in my link above show exactly how pully and rotor should look when at TDC.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:09 PM
nbuyabis
Advanced

Thumbs up

Thanks Rick,

I have connected everything as per your instructions. The car starts. However, i hear tapping noise under the distributor caps.
Is that normal or their is something i overlooked.
- no damage on the rotors.

Thanks again

Najeeb
-----------
'95 993
Old 10-12-2007, 02:31 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't know how it sounds when there's a problem, as mine was fine the first time I fired it up after the job. Someone else here must know.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:30 PM
nbuyabis
Advanced

Talking

Thankyou very much guys. I can enjoy my car now. Man it feels different with that distributor belt on.
wouldnt have dont it without my fellow rennlisters.

Regards,

Najeeb
--------------
'95 993

Quick Reply: Spark plug wire HELP!