Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'98 Cab on Ebay - Vancouver car

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 12:42 AM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice car. I hope it's not "Canadian priced". The local dealer has a similar car, '97 88,000 km, not pristine, $59,900!
Old 10-15-2007, 03:19 PM
SCAN Automotive
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought an M Coupe (the Z4 Hatchback, not an M3 Coupe). The only drawback to the car, so far, is that I have to explain to everyone what the car is, because they are so damn rare. The guys I know at BMW here in town said that only 12 are in the BC system right now, and there's even less throughout the rest of the country. It's practical, reliable, quick and very different.

The 993 can be had for $47 000 CDN private sale with, of course, no GST. Definitely not "Canadian" pricing.

No offense taken on the sceptical comments, we have a low profile as a company, and work on primarily a referral basis. People find out about us when they find out about us. If you need a hand, don't hesitate to call!

Regards,
James
Old 10-15-2007, 09:54 PM
matt777
Drifting

You're right about that. That's over $12k less than a similar car at the local dealer. Yours looks to be in much better shape and shouldn't last long. I wish it were spring already. Perhaps prices are more reasonable in BC as there are more used Porches around.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:09 PM
IcemanYVR
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

James, that's a sweet car, the "M" Coupe. We have a couple of customers that each own one, but that's a discussion for a whole different forum.

Good luck on the sale of the Cabriolet, love the colour, dislike the convertible part.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:43 PM
SCAN Automotive
Rennlist Member

I was hoping the price would be tempting enough for someone. Weissach sold a similar car with 60-70K Km on it for $55K one month ago. I can't sell cars to save my life, Please, somebody take it!

Yeah, about the convertible part...I bought it knowing fully that it wouldn't meet my needs (I do alot of track work, hence the race cars and the M Coupe that is soon to see some related modification), and a 993 coupe would probably have kept me very happy. Alas, emotional purchases often result in headaches and lost money down the line. My loss, someone elses gain I suppose.

Allan, if there is something particular you are looking for in a Porsche, let me know. I come across customer cars and dealer stuff all the time, maybe put you in touch with something you'll like.

Regards,
James
Old 10-18-2007, 12:45 AM
IcemanYVR
AutoX

Thanks James, I will keep you in mind. I have a pretty good idea of what I'm looking for. 95/96 Carrera, 6 sp. Manual, Polar/Arctic Silver with Black interior. I would like it to be as stock as possible.

I'm actually going to be looking at one this weekend at Urban Garage. They have one that's pretty low miles although the price seems to be a little on the high side, at least compared to the US. For Canada, it seems like a pretty good price, $49,999.

It's a California car, and ideally, I would like a Canadian/European car. I know it's a little thing, but I don't want the big numbers on the dial to read in MPH. I much prefer the cleaner look of the KMH readings
Old 10-21-2007, 10:43 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 63 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by IcemanYVR

It's a California car, and ideally, I would like a Canadian/European car. I know it's a little thing, but I don't want the big numbers on the dial to read in MPH. I much prefer the cleaner look of the KMH readings
That is easily addressed and a very easy swap. The CND cars are not Euro spec. They are US spec so finding a good car should be your priority...
Old 10-21-2007, 12:00 PM
supergrass
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you guys not realize the US dollar is the equivalent or less than the canadian dollar now? I can't believe people are paying those prices in Canada. Looks like a great place to sell a porsche if the are selling around $50,000 canadan.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:07 PM
matt777
Drifting

Originally Posted by supergrass
Do you guys not realize the US dollar is the equivalent or less than the canadian dollar now? I can't believe people are paying those prices in Canada. Looks like a great place to sell a porsche if the are selling around $50,000 canadan.
Not a big market though.

ps Lots of the Canadian cars have low miles.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:18 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I got mine last May with 23,000 miles or 39,000 km's.
There are low km cars here but most for sale are from the US so the low km cars are hard to find. The prices are dropping here since the dollar went up. A Canadian car will always be easier to sell in Canada.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:47 PM
IcemanYVR
AutoX

I think CAD$50,000 is the maximum I would pay. I looked the car in the link yesterday.

http://www.urbangarage.com/cdetails.asp?CID={26BAF905-EF2F-4788-BB2C-91E7BDCC4202}&Category=TUGN

It is a USA/California car, with only 43,000 miles (66,000km). It has all it's papers, including the original window sales sticker. It's had the clutch done along with a bunch of other work they did while they were in there, and very good rubber. It's super clean.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it has the black brake calipers instead of red ones, and the guage, which is easily changed.
Does anyone have an idea of what this would be worth in the US?
Old 10-21-2007, 06:16 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 63 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by IcemanYVR
I think CAD$50,000 is the maximum I would pay. I looked the car in the link yesterday.

http://www.urbangarage.com/cdetails.asp?CID={26BAF905-EF2F-4788-BB2C-91E7BDCC4202}&Category=TUGN

It is a USA/California car, with only 43,000 miles (66,000km). It has all it's papers, including the original window sales sticker. It's had the clutch done along with a bunch of other work they did while they were in there, and very good rubber. It's super clean.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it has the black brake calipers instead of red ones, and the guage, which is easily changed.
Does anyone have an idea of what this would be worth in the US?
Car looks clean. Red calipers come on the C4S, this is a narrow body C2.
at 50K CAD you can do better. You can find a similar C4S for this amount of money in the States including your taxes.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:35 PM
geldgrube
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on Danny's comments and, from personal experience, it's dead-easy to import a car from the U.S. into Canada
Check out the Rennlist ads.....lots of '96 993's there
Old 10-21-2007, 11:13 PM
matt777
Drifting

Default Importing into Canada

Last time I checked there was 6.1% duty on Porsche's plus a small fee for importing. GST is another 6% too. You're supposed to send the docs to US Customs 72 hours before arriving at the border. Check out http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html
Old 10-23-2007, 10:05 PM
SCAN Automotive
Rennlist Member

Imports are easy to do, there are the extra taxes and import costs (inspection, daytime running lights, a/c tax, RIV fee, etc.), however, there are some other factors to consider. With new cars, "apples are apples" would be the expression that comes to mind, however when two cars are 10 years old and come from different places, some environmental factors come into play.
Very few US cars are from areas that have similar weather conditions to that of Canada, meaning, most are from the southern states (California, Texas, Arizona, Florida, etc.). This has several effects on the condition of our cars. Vinyls rubbers and leathers HATE high humidity, high UV and high heat. Additionally, the air-cooled cars are adversely affected by the aforementioned conditions in the engine department, exascerbating the valve guide wear experienced in all air-cooled 911 engines (that's right, not just 993's!). Another factor in this is related to traffic volume. 911's HATE to sit idle in traffic jams, yet another wear exaggerator for the fine 911 air-cooled engine.
Aside from environmental factors, a car from the states will never be a Canadian car. Local cars should always have an effectively greater resale value, and for the above reasons, justly, if it came from or has spent the majority of its life in a very car friendly climate (Vancouver has got to be one of the best, by the way!).
Just my 0.02
James.

Quick Reply: '98 Cab on Ebay - Vancouver car