Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tired Of Your Motorsound Mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 01:55 AM
ehb86
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I modified a set of stock mufflers ala LPMM, but with a 1 1/4" crossover. I think it's a great compromise, nice and throaty, not too loud, etc. I think everyone's idea of the "right sound", is different. I might like the 2" too, but decided to start at the lower end. You can always cut them out and go larger. I get just an occasional pop with these, but they sound great when you put your foot in it.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:34 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

With no interest to changing from stock mufflers, I just saw in PET that motorsound mufflers exist in the US and not in the EU,
while RS mufflers are sold in the EU but not in the US.
same price both but different #
does anyone know if difference there is in sound, conception? just curious
Old 06-04-2008, 10:33 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by geolab
With no interest to changing from stock mufflers, I just saw in PET that motorsound mufflers exist in the US and not in the EU,
while RS mufflers are sold in the EU but not in the US.
same price both but different #
does anyone know if difference there is in sound, conception? just curious
Yeah the RS muffler is even more restrictive. There is no by pass pipe interenally on the RS muffler. Logically if you think about it make sense. The RS is a 3.8 liter motor which makes more noise, so Porsche had to make it quieter to pass Euro drive by sound requirement.

The motor sound muffler was an afterthought from Porsche after hearing many complaints from US customers that the car was too quiet.

Interesting fact: If you ordered your 993 from the dealer with the motor sound option you get motor sound muffler, motor sound tips, motor sound air box, but if the car was not ordered from the factory with the motor sound option and then added by the US dealers you only get motor sound tips, and motor sound air box.

When I made the RSR muffler I went with a completely different approach by changing chamber volume size, instead of messing with the by pass tubes. Interestingly enough when opened a 997S muffler recently I noticed that Porsche went with the almost identical design as my RSR 993 muffler.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:45 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by quasr
I was still looking for a deeper sound without the resonance and popping I had read Rennlister's remark about from the LPMM's.
My LPMM mufflers (by Fister) have no resonance issues whatsoever. The popping and gurgling sounds are music to my ears.

Believe me, if the mufflers had exhibited even the slightest amount of resonance, I would have bolted my stock ones back on. At highway speeds, there is no difference in noise inside the car.

Andreas
Old 06-04-2008, 12:14 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
At highway speeds, there is no difference in noise inside the car.
All is relative in life, we are talking 130 kph highway speeds.
I really enjoy driving on the autobahn, this is where I enjoy the 993 the most,
but after one hour at 5000 rpm and with stock mufflers, the sound is so loud, I assure you you play drops of jupiter so loud, the singer is screaming, not singing.

If not I would have gone RSR or LPMM, etc and CAT refill long ago

Last edited by geolab; 06-04-2008 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:19 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by geolab
All is relative in life, we are talking 130 kph highway speeds.
130 KPH = 80.78 MPH. That's your basic highway speed around these parts. The mufflers are no louder than stock while underway.

Andreas
Old 06-04-2008, 12:23 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AOW162435
My LPMM mufflers (by Fister) have no resonance issues whatsoever. The popping and gurgling sounds are music to my ears.

Believe me, if the mufflers had exhibited even the slightest amount of resonance, I would have bolted my stock ones back on. At highway speeds, there is no difference in noise inside the car.

Andreas
Ditto, I'm very sensitive to resonance and the mods by Darin(LPMM) give you the best of both worlds in my opinion, quiet as stock when cruising but a nice snarl when you step on it.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:49 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As already said, no resonance with the 2" bypass. "popping, burbling, etc" is called engine noise... and I like it

Quick Reply: Tired Of Your Motorsound Mufflers?