Fire Extinquishers??

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 05:14 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 139 Posts
Default Fire Extinquishers??

Anyone have one in their car? Seems like a good idea after seeing all the Ferarri's and Lambos going up in flames these days. i would hate to see my baby burn without being able to help her
Old 10-05-2007, 05:20 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the BK bracket also works as my Red Bull holder when driving :=)

Old 10-05-2007, 05:24 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

This is my old Range Rover:

Now I carry them in all my cars...
Old 10-05-2007, 05:39 PM
V
Drifting

Dang falcon, that doesn't look good. Glad you made it out ok!

Tony, nice BK setup . The BK bracket apparently works with the A8s, but do they work with the Oem seats or other aftermarket seats as well? Gotta love those A8s... Wish I could get my hands on a pair.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:41 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

the BK bracket definitely works with the stock seats
Old 10-05-2007, 05:46 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Originally Posted by vhanzon
Dang falcon, that doesn't look good. Glad you made it out ok!

Tony, nice BK setup . The BK bracket apparently works with the A8s, but do they work with the Oem seats or other aftermarket seats as well? Gotta love those A8s... Wish I could get my hands on a pair.
Thank you Vhanzon!! I hope to see you back in a 993..........................TT ;-)

As Doug said... they BK will fit with OEM seats. I find it to be very nice and secure... absolutely no vibration, radtles, etc.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:29 PM
V
Drifting

Ok thanks for the clarification guys! I just realized that it is mandatory with a fire extinguisher with the insurance policy I am getting. Its kind of an enthusiast policy, with which you have limited mileage, have to have a DD apart from your porsche etc, albeit at a much lower price. It's almost ridiculous how much cheaper it is. No good for track though . Nordschleife being the only exception.... NOT . Any good sources for BK brackets on this side of the pond? Didn't check with Gert..

:Tony, I am checking the web every day for new ads.. Still looking for the keeper .. There's a local C2S here which I checked out last week. It was oh-so-nice . Its low mileage, all stock and in extremely good condition. I am trying to settle on a pricetag with the seller, we'll see how it turns out
Old 10-05-2007, 06:36 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

I use the BK bracket as well. And as per Tony, it doubles as drink holder.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:44 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

How does that BK bracket attach (floor screws?)
Old 10-05-2007, 06:55 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Originally Posted by ninjabones
How does that BK bracket attach (floor screws?)
Attached to the seat rails and front floor screws.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:21 PM
allill
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
This is my old Range Rover:

Now I carry them in all my cars...
How long did it take to get to the first photo from whatever you thought you may be able to put out with a fire extinguisher?

Good thing you made it out, hope nobody was hurt.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:49 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 341 Posts
Cool The Big Picture...

I have the BK bracket, a beautiful piece of machined aluminum, sell for about $300! Ouch! I also have a 2 1/2 Lb. Halon extinguisher, about $100, or so...for a total of about $400.

If I had to do it over again, I would get a 5 Lb. fire bottle from CDOC, or some other racing supplies sponsor of ours, and have it permanently mounted into the trunk. The Halon or? is piped to the engine compartment..or wherever you want it...the trick set ups can go off under excess heat, or manually operated, or both.

The cheesy mounting brackets that are sold by most are scary...suppose they let go under extreme G Force (A snap roll) and you have a fire extinguisher rattling around the cockpit with you, not so pretty....

I estimate the plumbed fire extinguisher system could be installed with about 4 hours of labor....+ the cost of the system.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:41 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I snapped the first pic with my camera phone after I had retrieved all I could save. This happened while driving with my dog and 6 year old son loaded for a camping trip. Driving along, cruise control, 70 MPH. A big puff of white smoke comes out from under the car into the rear view. Car still running fine, gauges OK. I pull over, smoke coming from under the car. Pop the hood and get out on the shoulder of I-75 to open the hood and have a look. As I stick my fingers in to open the hood latch, I sense the flame under there, and leave it closed. I get my son and dog out of the car and tell him to get as far down the bank as possible, and take the dog. A couple of cars have stopped, and no one has an extinguisher. It's been about 120 seconds and I still see no flame. This is the point I realize that an extinguisher would work, and also the point I realize I'm probably going to lose the car. I open the back and start throwing stuff out. The other cars helped by humping the stuff away from the car, and comforting my son, who is freaking...I was able to remove from the car before it went to the stage in the photo: A 20lb Propane tank, full!, 2000 rounds of .223 ammunition, and a Bushmaster m-4, another 1000 rounds of various ammo, along with a couple of other firearms, and some of the camping equipment. There is a sleeping bag in the foreground of the picture. I lost my Colt 1911 .45, and some ammunition that was stored with it. Son, dog, myself, and all who helped were well clear when it got to the stage depicted. Total time elapsed; about 2 1/2 minutes...
Never a definitive on what caused the fire. My suspicion is a battery overheat. The battery is directly above the coolant tank. In Range Rovers you use undiluted orange antifreeze as coolant. It says right on the bottle: undiluted, it is flameable...right front corner of the engine compartment, that's where it's the most melted.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:53 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 413 Likes on 232 Posts

I have a 2.5 lb Amerex Halotron extinguisher and a Stable Energies bracket. The bracket mounts under the front of the seat - allowing full fore & aft seat travel.

Andreas
Old 10-06-2007, 01:57 AM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK ... where the best place to pick-up a BK mount ... or a Stable Energies bracket ... and an Amerex extinguisher?

Scott

Quick Reply: Fire Extinquishers??