Sponsored by:

I want to see at night now...HID question:

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 10:27 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor-uk
Other than the deflector difference between LHD and RHD I don't think there is a material difference. Low beam is directed through a projector lens (and then through a beam deflector in the front glass. High beam sits in a common or garden reflector arrangement aimed through the front glass. As alluded to by Andrew, the European models have headlight adjustment contols (are they not in US models?), which allow a small manual vertical adjustment to compensate for load - but not enough range (or speed of operation) to look after low and 'high' beam applications.
As I wrote earlier, the beam pattern using xenons on high beam is 'different' because the increased brightness accentuates areas of lens (and therefore the road, and trees and hedges) that would not normally be illuminated enough to notice with halogens. Try it. Buy a set and try them in both positions (easy install) - if you don't like it just keep them in low beam. However, I believe you will see the light, like me, and never go back.....................

Trevor
Sounds like a marvelous idea
Old 10-09-2007, 11:28 PM
Greg Bell
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Bear in mind the xenon is designed to sit behind a projector lens and is considered illegal in some places if fitted with a reflector because of the risk of 'blinding' oncoming motorists at night. With a reflector setup they can be too bright in certain circumstances.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:34 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

To my knowledge, not all European models have adjustable head lights. At least in Germany, I think they changed in 97 because the load change in a 993 is not very significant (no trunk in the pack, limited weight on back seats, stiffness of car).

Erik
Old 10-12-2007, 07:24 PM
Nuff
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found a guy on e-bay selling H1 kits. He also sells the slim ballast. Sent him a message and he put together a kit that included the slim ballast. Got it in a couple days.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:35 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nuff
Found a guy on e-bay selling H1 kits. He also sells the slim ballast. Sent him a message and he put together a kit that included the slim ballast. Got it in a couple days.
Most excellente - I am extremely interested!!! Please post results - I could be his next customer

Quick Reply: I want to see at night now...HID question: