Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want to see at night now...HID question:

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 11:54 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Keep posting up Marlon. I need to do this mod too. And I am confused by all the kits that are out there.

FWIW: My Cayenne has the BI Xenon set up. Low beam is incredibly bright. But high beam Xenons are frickin incredible. I can imagine cruising down the autobahn at 150 mph at night and seeing everything with the high beams on.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:29 AM
David Schiff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i bought my 97C2Cab i put in factory Litronics and never looked back....only forward and yes they were damn costly 4 yrs ago but i rarely use the highs even though i put 100w bulbs in place of the high beam reflector bulb. i re aimed them, high and sl right and they dont get flashes and are wonderfull.
the high beams are yellow compared to , and i kn ow i could put in the new silverstar blue but just havent felt the need.
The Bi Xenons in wifeys boxterS have a solenoid that moves something to change the elevation of the beam pattern. In her car there is only one HID capsule[bulb].
I am 64+ years and the view is wonderful with the Lits.
my two cents.
david
Old 09-26-2007, 01:57 PM
kb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marlon -
also contact Vertex in Miami. They sell a plug and play kit which seems to be reliable to date. Several of us have the kits installed and have had "minimal" install problems. They offer good customer service and will work with you within reason if you need to replace a faulty ballast or bulb.. Just a suggestion.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:22 PM
Trevor-uk
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Marlon

Most of what has been said about low beam only for the 993 is correct but on the roads around where I live (and sometimes how I like to drive), even the massive improvement in low beam isn't enough (and you're right with assumption that the original high beam adds nothing of useful benefit to the setup once the HIDs are installed - it just highlights(!) how rubbish they really are). I have been experimenting with my set of HIDs in both low and high beam installs, a couple of weeks high, a couple of weeks low, (and even a period with one high on one side and one low on the other) just to see what worked best or even if it was viable to run them in high beam. My experiences and conclusions are that whilst the high beam pattern is 'interesting', due to the highlighting of facets in the lens (I guess), it is supremely, incredibly, better and safer than the original high beams and/or just HIDs on low. It will amaze you but beware, if you're driving with HIDs on high beam then dip to ordinary low beams - you will think the whole lighting circuit has failed (until your eyes adjust to the mediocre candlelight). As for problems when flashing or 'strike time' when using in the high beam, I haven't found a real issue - the characteristic of the HID startup appears to be an initial bright flash (which is actually fine if you are flashing somebody) then dim for a fraction of a second before it increases to full brightness over the next one, maybe one and a half seconds. In normal driving if you need to dip your headlights for less than 15 seconds or so, the startup delay on returning to high disappears. I recently ran them in high beam down to the Le Mans 24H (my average speed on the 250mile UK part of the return trip during the night exceeded the national limit!). I really can't bring myself to return the HIDs to low beam only so I am now about to acquire a second set to run both. I didn't fit mine into the headlight unit (looked too fiddly) but may have to, to give myself enough room to house the second one!
My wife (she who normally says no to any toy-related cost without a tedious justification process) was suitably impressed enough to agree immediately that I must buy the second set!

Whatever you do Marlon, the HID upgrade (low beam only, whatever) is a must-do, unless you don't take it out at night!

Trevor
Old 09-27-2007, 12:19 PM
Dave Trimble
1st Gear

Has anyone tried to adapt a Bi-xenon capsule to the low beam projector housing? The bi-xenon is a single bulb with a "door" that lifts for high beam.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:41 PM
Trevor-uk
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dave Trimble
Has anyone tried to adapt a Bi-xenon capsule to the low beam projector housing? The bi-xenon is a single bulb with a "door" that lifts for high beam.
I don't think that would be very effective as the lens in front of the projector determines the beam pattern, not the bulb. Now it may be a thought for the high beam position, allowing it to stay on all the time and using the 'door' for dip beam applications. It would require a bit of thought and rewiring though....and if a bi-xenon doesn't come in an H1 package, some filing too.......
Old 09-27-2007, 02:07 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

I have 2 Vertex kits- one for the C4S bot as part of my first GB here on RL and the second bot recently for the 964. Don't leave home without them - at night anyway. With only low beam they are a tremendous improvement.

But why are these so much more than the eBay offerings? They must all be made in China by now, and the Vertex ones cannot even boast the smaller ballasts to mount internally which would be nice.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:03 AM
911Rob
Rennlist Member

Just doing a 'search' through the 993 Board for this exact problem'o'.....

I love the lowbeam Xenon lights on my newly purchased 993 TT, but the high beams are virtually useless! I drive alot of dark highways and really would like a better high beam set up?

The nice thing is that I found my answer! I thought my headlight setup was screwed; I had it all apart and into a lighting guy here; he couldn't believe the set up; but adding a 100W H1(?) bulb for high beam is absolutely useless.

I'd be interested in finding out how to add a better high beam system; low beams are great; but they have limits at higher speeds.

Cheers and thanks for the info I found here!
Rob
Old 10-07-2007, 07:53 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will try Vertex! Thx to all for the suggestions!!!!
Old 10-07-2007, 03:48 PM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Marlon
I will try Vertex! Thx to all for the suggestions!!!!
I recently ordered a 4300K set from Vertex for my wife's cab ... the kit on my black cab was not Vertex ... but was a different supplier than the one that seems to come up "cheap" currently on eBay ... mine were more than those ... but a bit less expensive than the Vertex.

Scott
Old 10-09-2007, 02:25 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Originally Posted by Trevor-uk
Marlon

Most of what has been said about low beam only for the 993 is correct but on the roads around where I live (and sometimes how I like to drive), even the massive improvement in low beam isn't enough (and you're right with assumption that the original high beam adds nothing of useful benefit to the setup once the HIDs are installed - it just highlights(!) how rubbish they really are). I have been experimenting with my set of HIDs in both low and high beam installs, a couple of weeks high, a couple of weeks low, (and even a period with one high on one side and one low on the other) just to see what worked best or even if it was viable to run them in high beam. My experiences and conclusions are that whilst the high beam pattern is 'interesting', due to the highlighting of facets in the lens (I guess), it is supremely, incredibly, better and safer than the original high beams and/or just HIDs on low. It will amaze you but beware, if you're driving with HIDs on high beam then dip to ordinary low beams - you will think the whole lighting circuit has failed (until your eyes adjust to the mediocre candlelight). As for problems when flashing or 'strike time' when using in the high beam, I haven't found a real issue - the characteristic of the HID startup appears to be an initial bright flash (which is actually fine if you are flashing somebody) then dim for a fraction of a second before it increases to full brightness over the next one, maybe one and a half seconds. In normal driving if you need to dip your headlights for less than 15 seconds or so, the startup delay on returning to high disappears. I recently ran them in high beam down to the Le Mans 24H (my average speed on the 250mile UK part of the return trip during the night exceeded the national limit!). I really can't bring myself to return the HIDs to low beam only so I am now about to acquire a second set to run both. I didn't fit mine into the headlight unit (looked too fiddly) but may have to, to give myself enough room to house the second one!
My wife (she who normally says no to any toy-related cost without a tedious justification process) was suitably impressed enough to agree immediately that I must buy the second set!

Whatever you do Marlon, the HID upgrade (low beam only, whatever) is a must-do, unless you don't take it out at night!

Trevor
Trevor - is the UK High & Low beam headlight assembly the same as U.S.? There's a post or two on this thread that mention the U.S. 993 high beam bulb or reflector unit is not compatible with the HID system because of a 'projector' or reflector issue. If you have the same headlight setup and are using the HID successfully in the High beam spot, then I may have to revisit the issue of 'low beam only'...

mar
Old 10-09-2007, 03:42 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

This may be a stupid idea, because I don't know how this system works, but don't the European models have an adjustable headlight switch?
Could the low beams be aimed normally at the most downward tilt of the headlight adjustment then you could have two upward tilt options giving the HIDs three positions, one normal and two tilted up higher so they could act a little more like high beams?
Old 10-09-2007, 06:16 PM
Trevor-uk
Instructor

Originally Posted by Marlon
Trevor - is the UK High & Low beam headlight assembly the same as U.S.? There's a post or two on this thread that mention the U.S. 993 high beam bulb or reflector unit is not compatible with the HID system because of a 'projector' or reflector issue. If you have the same headlight setup and are using the HID successfully in the High beam spot, then I may have to revisit the issue of 'low beam only'...

mar
Other than the deflector difference between LHD and RHD I don't think there is a material difference. Low beam is directed through a projector lens (and then through a beam deflector in the front glass. High beam sits in a common or garden reflector arrangement aimed through the front glass. As alluded to by Andrew, the European models have headlight adjustment contols (are they not in US models?), which allow a small manual vertical adjustment to compensate for load - but not enough range (or speed of operation) to look after low and 'high' beam applications.
As I wrote earlier, the beam pattern using xenons on high beam is 'different' because the increased brightness accentuates areas of lens (and therefore the road, and trees and hedges) that would not normally be illuminated enough to notice with halogens. Try it. Buy a set and try them in both positions (easy install) - if you don't like it just keep them in low beam. However, I believe you will see the light, like me, and never go back.....................

Trevor
Old 10-09-2007, 06:45 PM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

I just installed my new HIDs and couldnt be happier. very cheap set too.....

I wonder if you would get better or stronger lighting from one kit to another, if they are both 4300K with 35watt bulbs? maybe the ballast makes a diff?
Old 10-09-2007, 10:09 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 993C4Smontreal
I just installed my new HIDs and couldnt be happier. very cheap set too.....
I ordered mine on Friday. Can't wait for them to arrive!

Quick Reply: I want to see at night now...HID question: