URGENT OT - Buying a car - need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 05:29 PM
obchuck
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default URGENT OT - Buying a car - need help

Good afternoon all,

I'm purchasing a car from a private party. He does not have title as he has financed vehicle. He claims he can draft a "bill of sale" stating purchase of said vehicle - VIN # Year Model, etc - and we can sign it. I will receive title in 2 weeks time.

Is this legit? Should it be notorized? Should I not do it? Problem is, I sold my other car and need to get something ASAP.

A VERY sincere Thank YOU!!
Old 09-21-2007, 05:37 PM
obchuck
Racer

DMV Bill of Sale (printable online) would suffice? Please, any laywers out there???
Old 09-21-2007, 05:43 PM
wgharper
Track Day

Is his bank a local bank? I've done a few transactions like this, and ideally he would have the lien holder/bank send the paper title to a local branch, and you just do the deal there (pay him, he pays the lien off, you get the title).

If this is not an option, I'd start digging on your home state's DMV website to find out what your options are - I think requirements for this sort of thing vary from state to state.

Good luck!
Old 09-21-2007, 05:46 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just did that except I had the title sent to sent from his credit union to mine and all the title transfer was handled by the third parties. I knew it was legit but in your case how are you going to ensure you get the title and when do you send in the money?

What I didn't get was anything showing that I had legal title to the vehicle, just a bill of sale. We figured that it would only be a problem if we got stopped. Here we were in this "pull me over Red" BMW with no license plates (in Utah, the seller keeps the plates). Sure enough the second day out on a 8 day trip:

Good thing it was a "catch and release" situation. I have to say the Utah cops are much more reasonable than the ones in Washington.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:47 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As a banker I'd suggest contacting his lender for a payoff demand and inquire as to the status of title. Also confirm with the DMV. Pay the lender directly and not the seller and you should be safe. If there's a difference between what is owed and what the purchase price is I'd hold the balance in escrow somehow pending transfer of title. Its much cleaner paying cash to a seller who holds title. Rental car in the meantime.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:55 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Whenever I've sold my cars, I always paid off the car so I can hold the title. As 2ndof2 says, it's much cleaner. I'm always very wary of not a seller not having the title and, as suggested, prefer to pay the seller's noteholder directly. All sale documents should note what action will occur if you do not receive the title within a certain time frame.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:12 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by obchuck
Good afternoon all,

I'm purchasing a car from a private party. He does not have title as he has financed vehicle. He claims he can draft a "bill of sale" stating purchase of said vehicle - VIN # Year Model, etc - and we can sign it. I will receive title in 2 weeks time.

Is this legit? Should it be notorized? Should I not do it? Problem is, I sold my other car and need to get something ASAP.

A VERY sincere Thank YOU!!
Go to the bank with him, they will give him/you the paper work. At least that is what happen when I sold my 951 in 94. Can't remember if they gave the new owner the title, but the gave him something as the official owner to be able to register the car.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:18 PM
obchuck
Racer

Problem is SST is servicing loan. A subsidary of JPMorgan. They refused to give me anything over the phone, even w/him on the line.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:19 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If he doesnt pay off the loan you wont get a title and the bank still owns the car.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:23 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by jimq
If he doesnt pay off the loan you wont get a title and the bank still owns the car.
exactly..when you give him the cash you better be there to see him hand it over to the bank..
Old 09-21-2007, 06:24 PM
melman911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Best thing to do is find a dealer to do a "in-and-out" for you. When my brother and I have either bought or sold cars we ususally find a dealer to handle the paper work for us. They will charge you but it's worth it. Takes the hassle out of it. They know what they are doing also. Honestly the best way to go.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:24 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 694 Likes on 416 Posts

The lienholder, the seller and you should sit down and sort it out. If you simply give the owner the whole amount, you're trusting that he is going take the cash and to pay the lienholder instead of taking it to his bookie or making a mortgage payment.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:27 PM
melman911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Call a dealership where he lives. They will handle it for you. Seriously. I work for a bank. It's a mess when you try it yourself. The will get the title switched for you....etc.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:35 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just sold my Mom's ML in CA. Her lienholder sent a written release of their interest in the vehicle along with a pink CA DMV form notarized to that effect, but no paper title. The pink form had two check boxes:
[ ] Request for transfer of ownership
[ ] Request for duplicate title

It had all the normal seller/buyer info on it like the back of the CA title certificate.

There was another "reason" check box we ticked:
[ ] Title not received

AFAIK, the transfer has gone through fine on the buyer's end.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:42 PM
obchuck
Racer

Dealers are claiming they would have to "buy" car, put it through checks, etc since they are "licensed dealer". No dice. ???

Quick Reply: URGENT OT - Buying a car - need help