Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know about State Farm and diminished value?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 03:51 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Anyone know about State Farm and diminished value?

This is a little OT, as it's my Bimmer. I got rear ended to the tune of $7k by a SF policy holder. SF has been pretty good about paying everything. But I am worried about the phat hit to my Carfax history now, should/when I go to sell my car. Has anyone here ever gotten SF to pay them diminished value, if so, what percentage and how was the process? My insurer, USAA, says it's all on me to deal with SF here. Please advise. Thanks.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:56 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm sure they will laugh at you and claim some nonsense about there is no such thing until you retain a lawyer who specializes in diminished value claims.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:05 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

I fully expect them to say no as soon as I ask. But I'm wondering what it takes to eventually get them to pay. Diminished value is certainly legal in VA. And there are firms here that specialize in such appraisals for determining diminished value. I'd say SF got off kind of easy in my case. I was hit hard enough that I was pushed into the car in front of me. The loose change in my backpack on the front seat almot broke my windshield. And yes, my already-injured left wrist was a little sore. I didn't go to the doctor or try to claim soft-tissue damage. And I didn't even ask for a rental car until two weeks after the accident, when sharing my fiancee's MINI became a hassle. I could have milked this for a lot of bs reasons. But I think diminished value is legit.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:15 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Rick, you have PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:34 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Bill. That place charges about 3x the amount a local place does and I'm not even sure I need it yet. I just got a more helpful USAA rep. on the phone and she called SF with me on the line. SF said they'd be happy to send over a dimin. value claim form as soon as they have all the invoices in to look over and I should have it by mid-next week. So this is sounding better now.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:36 PM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WHen I was dealing with this I read something on the SF site about how deminished value hurts the insurance industry and, in short, they would not pay it.

Good luck with it
Old 09-20-2007, 06:32 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I was successful filing a DV claim with State Farm. Check your PM for details.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:55 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

I think that in addition to what insurance company you are dealing with, what state you are in also matters. IIRC, ten states currently have a diminished value statute. Search over on MSN Money.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:11 PM
swimprove
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diminished Value State Farm

The person that hit us had State Farm and at first we were told we were not entitled to diminished value. So we hired a public adjuster from AutoDamageClaim.com and in less than a week we were offered $5,300 for diminished value from State Farm. Definitely get a professional.

I found them through this youtube video:

Quick Reply: Anyone know about State Farm and diminished value?