Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

If you only got to keep 1 car due to buying a house, would you sell your 993?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 05:47 AM
leeshephard
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Steve

To my UK eyes your house looks HUGE! and you have a double garage!! must be a KILLER new place to make you even consider selling the pcar.

I have a crappy '95 Nissan Micra as my DD, but I only commute 20 miles a day...and I REALLY appreciate it when I get to drive my pcar :-)

Good luck with the house, hope it all works out for you.

Lee
Old 09-20-2007, 07:52 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 554 Posts

Another spin on this would be to think of it this way. If you sell the 993 you won't be able to drive it at all. If you keep it as a daily driver it will get weathered, but so what? It's a car and it is meant to be driven, so drive it!

I would buy a beater and drive that when you have bad weather.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:59 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,776 Posts

1. I don't know what's going on in your area but I'd be careful about buying RE right now.

2. Either sell the TL or the BMW but keep the 993. You may need two cars but do you NEED two 4 doors? BMWs are a dime a dozen and can be easily replaced, 993s aren't.

3. This must be one of a half-dozen posts by you were you contemplate selling your 993 to make some kind of family compromise. Unless you're going hungry and need $30k cash fast (you'd still need $10k for another car), stop making compromises with something that obviously brings you so much pleasure (as expressed in other posts by you also).

Last edited by Wilder; 09-20-2007 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:06 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve....man....what is your point, I drove my 993 for two winters in MD.....EVERYDAY!!! And you have 4 wheel drive, its easy......sell everything but the 993...you will miss her SOOOOOOO much and anyway how can you come to the RL meets on the pike in anything other than the p-car!!!
Old 09-20-2007, 08:58 AM
JohnMetro
Racer

OK, let's just answer the question, "which car do I sell?"

Answer: One car will put a smile on your face EVERY TIME you drive it (and walk past the garage), the other car will not. We'll let you decide which car that is!
Old 09-20-2007, 09:11 AM
roche
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default my experience and advice...

steve,

i was in your situation about a year ago...i had to make a decision to sell my 993 in order to "help" buy a new house and have regretted it ever since. as alvin said, a good 993 is very hard to find these days. i've been looking for a replacement for about 3 months and haven't found "the one" yet.

one thing i would caution you on is purchasing a new home without selling your current home. every realtor will tell you that your house will sell quick because it's a great house and in a great area, blah, blah, blah. it seems like a discounted price is what is moving houses right now. if i had found a buyer for my home before purchasing my new home, i would have been able to keep my 993. but...hindsight is always 20/20. i had to suffer for 6 months until i sold my old home and another property and feel i came out pretty lucky considering the real estate market right now in my area.

good luck...i hope you find a way to keep both cars...it's a tough decision.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:30 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Sell the 740. Take part of the proceeds and lease a new BMW with full maintenane and warranty for the next 3 years. Your 740 is the issue and too expensive to own and maintain compared to a new car.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:42 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

I'm reading all your responses and I'm in between cringing (that I even offered up this post) and dutifully considering the answers. We might simply be selling one of the cars to stretch to buy the house, AND the cost of repair is a consideration, that's all. If my wife gives up $2k in jewelry a year and I sacrifice my $3500+ car repair a year on my 2nd car, then the house is more viable. We may not have to sell either car just yet... just looking at our options.

I know our current house looks nice in the pics. It's a great house in a semi-crummy part of town. The new house is in an incredible neighborhood. We want to move closer to our 13 year old daughter (who lives with her daddy in this neighborhood, albeit in a smaller townhouse) who we only have on weekends because it's too far to drive during the week to see her for just an hour after dinner.

So, bottom line, DON'T sell the P-car. I got it. I understand. I'm right there with ya. We've lived without a mortgage for 4 years now and will enter into a mortgage again to get this home. It's a little scary, but "it's all good".

It's smallish looking (not small inside though) but cute
Old 09-20-2007, 09:49 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Steve,

If it helps I will wire you $7,500 for your Daytona! All joking aside I gotta ask....what's wrong with the house you are in now? My guess is that it is not the repairs but the additional capital needed out of selling your paid off 911. That tells me the new house might be a stretch for you and I never want to be house poor. I love to travel, blow money on clothes that I don't need, get excellent seats at sports events I don't need, get a high def LCD TV for the bedroom that I don't need, the list could go on forever.

Agreed the house is a better investment, but what makes you AND your wife happy? Thats what you have to decide together. If you sell a car to get the house, you can never bitch and whine everytime you see a 911 screaming down the freeway or every day you climb into a piece of crap commuter. Only you can make the decision if you can do that. If the house is more important...hey so be it.

People kid me that I'm an ADD adult and they are probably right. I'm always wasting free time looking at different 911's (turbos,etc) , bigger houses, a second vacation home......none of which I could afford and still do the things I like to do today.

Thanks for your post, because it made me think about myself and how I am always chasing the dream instead of living in today. I'm just an average guy, with an average job, that affords me an average house, and a couple average cars. (OK, a 911 is not average, but I'll never own a Carrera GT)

Thanks to you, I think I'm going to take today off from my obsessions........my sick mind could use the break.

I've read your posts here and on Time Zone and feel that I know you well enough to realize that whatever decision you make it will be the right one for both you and your family. Your have great logic, don't make rash decisions and are not afraid to ask for advice. I have no doubt you will make the right decision. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:51 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Pheeeeeuuuwww Glad we talked you out of that one....things were getting dicey there for a minute or two
Old 09-20-2007, 09:56 AM
chris322
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think you are going the classic issue that most of us who do not have substantial wealth go through, which is where do you put your disposable income. A third car is certainly not a necessity and having a BMW as a daily driver is not either. However, tell that to a car guy. I drive nice cars and make sacrafices in other areas. I probably do not take as many vacations as I should and I don't spend a lot of money on clothes and other items. I live in a nice house and I drive nice vehicles. Ultimately, we can try and guide you on your decision, but only you know where you want to make the sacrafice.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:59 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
I'm reading all your responses and I'm in between cringing (that I even offered up this post) and dutifully considering the answers. We might simply be selling one of the cars to stretch to buy the house, AND the cost of repair is a consideration, that's all. If my wife gives up $2k in jewelry a year and I sacrifice my $3500+ car repair a year on my 2nd car, then the house is more viable. We may not have to sell either car just yet... just looking at our options.

I know our current house looks nice in the pics. It's a great house in a semi-crummy part of town. The new house is in an incredible neighborhood. We want to move closer to our 13 year old daughter (who lives with her daddy in this neighborhood, albeit in a smaller townhouse) who we only have on weekends because it's too far to drive during the week to see her for just an hour after dinner.

So, bottom line, DON'T sell the P-car. I got it. I understand. I'm right there with ya. We've lived without a mortgage for 4 years now and will enter into a mortgage again to get this home. It's a little scary, but "it's all good".

It's smallish looking (not small inside though) but cute

Must be Kentlands...then you'll have Seneca Highway to race on...just kidding.. gl with your decision.

Smallish from the front, but wayyyyyy deep.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:09 AM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Teach the wife how to drive the Porsche
2. Sell the Bimmer
3. Share the 2 cars (I am sure none of you needs a 4 doors every day)
4. Buy a set of Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25 for the Porsche and enjoy winter
Old 09-20-2007, 10:20 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say do whatever falls within living in your means and makes your happy.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:30 AM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AM993
Buy a set of Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25 for the Porsche and enjoy winter
+1

Quick Reply: If you only got to keep 1 car due to buying a house, would you sell your 993?