Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wobble When Accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 01:27 AM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the frequency of the vibration/wobble/noise match the frequency of anything else in the car?

Does it do it in all gears? Only a narrow speed range?

For example, wheel bearing problems wouldmight follow the wheel speed, engine problems mighttrack the engine speed, a worn shock wobble might be much slower, say 2-4 cycles per second.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:43 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ppressle
Does the frequency of the vibration/wobble/noise match the frequency of anything else in the car?

For example, wheel bearing problems wouldmight follow the wheel speed, engine problems mighttrack the engine speed, a worn shock wobble might be much slower, say 2-4 cycles per second.
Worst case, is that you could take it to your local Porsche repair guy and swallow an hour of labor for them to tell you, then U DIY or let them do it. Have the list of 'indicators' with you: when the problem started, did it all-of-a-sudden start???, start following a maintenance action, associated new noise(s), associated performance decrease, etc. Amazing what one can 'see' with the car on an overhead lift versus jack stands. Just a 02. cts worth.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:55 PM
993Porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ppressle

Hello Ppressle, I had to really think about what you are asking. So I can't hear any new noises within the speed range and the car's shocks still preforms as usual. Their are no additional bouncing or delays after hitting speed bumps. But they are still suspect and doesn't rule them out.

Originally Posted by Marlon
Worst case, is that you could take it to your local Porsche repair guy and swallow an hour of labor for them to tell you, then U DIY or let them do it. Have the list of 'indicators' with you: when the problem started, did it all-of-a-sudden start???, start following a maintenance action, associated new noise(s), associated performance decrease, etc. Amazing what one can 'see' with the car on an overhead lift versus jack stands. Just a 02. cts worth.

Marlon, this sounds like a good idea. This will certainly be my next step. If their were a way motion sensors could be placed at stratetic places before a car fails, then post readings would provide accurate areas to look for specific problems. I'm sure this idea is not new and are being implemented on some of the newer cars.

Thanks for everyone's input. Still open for suggestions. Nonetheless, when new developments occur, I will post them.

Ken
Old 09-23-2007, 07:32 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

While I initially had a number of unpleasant sensations from the handling and feedback from my AWD, none were to the extent of vibration during acceleration; however, some of the steps taken to eliminate these issues may be of use to correct your issue..
Installation of quality shocks, as already mentioned, cannot be overstated - nor can a good alignment. Once past these steps, my car still made chassis noises at low speeds over edges in concrete slabs, etc: that was traced to loose bolts in the LR subframe. With hindsight, that should have been the clue to continue .... 'should' have ..
Still, the car never had that " machined from a single ingot of steel" solidity that has earned Porsche its reputation ..... so to shorten the story, I eventually went under the car with a torque wrench and reset every subframe and assembly bolt available - and was surprised at how many were barely tight. Four of six were loose on the trans mount cross beam, etc
Once done, the car is rock solid, and noise and vibration free at any speed - it is now the Porsche it should have been!

BTW, there are 4 ball joints/side in the rear and those in front to check for tightness too.

Quick Reply: Wobble When Accelerating