Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 desirability?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 08:57 PM
hddude
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ask your question again in 20 years. These cars are too new. Of course, the exotic models that have low production numbers/scarcity on their side are a different question
Old 09-19-2007, 09:09 PM
Freddy
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Folks,

These cars are not about speed anymore.... a new Boxster could give us a hard time there... they were fast when new... now they are the nicest thing you can get from the 911 air-cooled era... something that is gone and will not return. To those who keep their 993: Congrats as they represent the second era of great Porsches after the 356.

There is a nice movie about the 993 cars... click the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDhF__PI2vA

Speed is not everything in life... check this other movie to see the great pleasure of driving fast slow cars! Much better than driving slow some other fast cars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-3H7HBnP5Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ4YyNmzY_w

Enjoy them... air-cooled cars are there to grow in value and rarity... treat them nicely!

Freddy
Old 09-20-2007, 01:29 AM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

Freddy: nice links. the 356 is sweet and that "just listen" clip makes me cry everytime I watch it.

Since most of us can't afford the cars listed in the posts, why not "any 993 we can afford". I drove a friends Ferrari 360 today and I still perfer my 993. Someone would have to give me the keys to a 2007 GT3 RS to get rid of mine.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:53 PM
The Antenna Man
Intermediate

I guess in the end, buy the best 993 you can afford and dont be affraid to drive them- I have 62k on mine. Mine is a daily driver which I look forward to drive. I have other cars in my stable, but the 993 gives me the most pleasure
Old 09-20-2007, 12:56 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by The Antenna Man
I guess in the end, buy the best 993 you can afford and dont be affraid to drive them- I have 62k on mine. Mine is a daily driver which I look forward to drive. I have other cars in my stable, but the 993 gives me the most pleasure
So you've decide to keep it, nice..was drooling over it and followed your threads on 6speed.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:07 PM
The Antenna Man
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
So you've decide to keep it, nice..was drooling over it and followed your threads on 6speed.
Yes, I kept the 993 and dumped the Ferrari 360. PPI's were done on both cars when I had them for sale, the 993 had no issues at all but the 360 had alot of issues including a compression problem--I bought this car from a Ferrari Dealership with all services done. Had the 360 for 8 months and 2k miles, left a bad taste in my mouth as I never tracked the car or really pushed it hard.

But the main reason why I kept the 993---its a modern classic. I like older cars but the creature comforts are bad like a/c and driveability. The 993 has excellent a/c and drives great. It has that classic feeling with the older gauges, classic body & its air-cooled.

Plus I was getting calls everyday when I had it for sale, so I know its a car everyone wants--especially the new Porsche crowd that owns a 996/997 that are finally discovering the 993 thru boards like Rennlist.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:14 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 247 Posts

lol..I've never thought of them as 'the new porsche crowd', that's funny, but you're right. Hope Robin reads you comments on the F car. Would luv to have a black WB one day...
Old 09-20-2007, 01:53 PM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Antenna, you had an NSX for sale at one time too, didnt you? how did you like it?
Old 09-20-2007, 10:05 PM
sleep envy
Track Day

Originally Posted by Lynx
From a collector point of view, which are the top five 993 models? Top five colors? Thank you.
Depends why you want to collect - for purely monetary reasons or useability.

In my humble opinion my reckoning would be;

GT2 Evo
GT2
RS CS
with RS, TT and TTS all pretty even in price for the nicest of examples

The TTS isn't making the demand over here in Europe at the moment (no idea if it's become the holy grail of turbo charged 993s in the States). There's a few I know of that have hung around on the market, good std TTs tent to change hands reasonably quickly for strong money. Having test driven a TTS with a view to buy I found it's a bit too crashy for what is ostensibly a very fast mile muncher and I'm not a big fan of the carbon interior either.

In the UK RHD RSs have a premium of £15/£20k ($30/$40k) over LHD but all RSs seem to change hands pretty quickly in any case. It's the same case all over Europe. They're also appreciating in value and have done over the last several years along with the GT2s. TT/TTS have stabilised and are pretty much at the bottom of their depreciation curve.

The more 'vanilla' cars are holding strong money with 2/4S attracting up to a 25% premium over C2/4.

I've no idea about cabs and targas as they're not really for me so don't follow the market.

Also colour is purely subjective - I'm not a big fan of Iris or Riviera blue but there will always be someone who'll pay a premium for it.

Futhermore, I've discounted the GT1 seeing as it's not really a mainstream 993 and they rarely come up for sale.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:41 AM
The Antenna Man
Intermediate

Originally Posted by friar93
Antenna, you had an NSX for sale at one time too, didnt you? how did you like it?
The NSX was "is" the affordable Ferrari. Very easy to drive, I like the Targa roof that was easy to take on & off by yourself and stored easily above the engine compartment. I sold the NSX to get the Ferrari 360---night and day between the 2 cars. The Ferrari will always have the "Wow" factor--be prepared to be hounded by the Paparazzi and feeling like a movie star. Pictures at stop lights, on the freeway, video taped, chased, raced, cutoff, you name it.

So if I had to choose again, I would stick with the NSX. Same exotic feeling & exclusivity as a Ferrari, but with Honda reliability and low maintenance. My Brother-in Law has a 2002 Yellow NSX that I have 1st dibs on when he sells it.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:05 AM
Bullwings
Intermediate

I think 15 years from now 993s will be awesome collectors cars, no matter what model you have.

With all this movement to green, tighter caps on emissions, deteriorating environment, and limited resources, the internal combustion engine is probably seeing the beginning of the end.

Jeez, what I would do to have a 993 c2 (not even a turbo - I just want an NA air cooled porsche). My 951 is fast, and has the potential to be faster. It has that nice raw older car feeling, but it's still a water pumper.

The new 997 is nice (much better than the 996), and the newer porsches are fast (even the boxster and cayman). But, they're still water pumpers..
Old 09-21-2007, 12:34 PM
h-bo
Instructor

In order of desirabilty.. well there is only one as far as I am concerned.

993 gt2 ... I can't really think further down that list.
sorry... not very nice but i am still so in love with the car.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 993 desirability?