993 Forum 1995-1998

Real world comparison: 993 and 964

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 07:34 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ElferPilot
I have neither yet, but that's the very reason I'm getting a 993. Best of luck with your decision, after all they're both great cars!
Both are fine cars and the 964 was the natural progression bridging the gap
between the 3.2 Carrera and the 993 in both styling and engineering. Alot
of technological changes would come starting with 964 series. One important
point about the 964 C4 is that it's all wheel drive system is much more
complex and expensive to repair than the 993 C4. Something to consider.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:20 PM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flatsixforme
Has anybody bought a 964 and regretted it the time they saw a 993 pull up afterwards?
Yes. But that made me focus on a goal: gather enough money to buy one! And I think I took that too serious because when that day arrived I went to buy a 993 and ended up with a GT3

Originally Posted by Tom W
Both are no longer stock but were close to stock in past years.
Ah! Looking at your car I bet you no long remember the stock days. Beautiful machine.

Originally Posted by Fahrer
I am confused but where does the 997/s fit in?
Damn...I was trying to avoid that car. I'm not sure yet...humm...maybe between the 993 TT and the 9964S.

Originally Posted by ElferPilot
I have neither yet, but that's the very reason I'm getting a 993.
I think the 964 is the perfect first 911.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:52 PM
hddude
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 964 had frequent oil leaks, but no such problems with my 993 that I've had for four years -- and my mechanic says that's a typical difference between the two models.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:19 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah! Looking at your car I bet you no long remember the stock days. Beautiful machine.
I think I do, but I certainly like the current handling better. I drove a student's stock 993 around Laguna Seca a couple weeks ago and it was a surprise (a lot worse than expected when doing it only a short while after getting out of my car).
Old 09-19-2007, 10:11 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 539 Posts

Having owned both for a number of years and driving them extensively I would say the 993 is a better car.

However, as said by so many, there are differences in character and performance.

The 964 has a number of teething problems. Case in point. The C4 brain is also very sensitive to water intrusion through the wiring harness. Corrosion ate the connector pins and receptacle. The 993 set those issue strait.

Now, most of the 964 issues probably have been fixed by now by previous owners, so it sort of evens things out a little.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:14 PM
Toddimus
Instructor

I forgot to add one thing...

To paraphrase a quote from my local indie wrench: "The 964 is like a good girlfriend. Fun for a while. The 993 is like the girl you introduce to your parents and tell them you're going to marry her"
Old 09-20-2007, 12:22 AM
RS 197
Pro

Originally Posted by clubsport1
I am fortunate enough to get to drive a 993RS CS & 964 RS CS on track, both good cars..ultimately the 993 has more mechanical grip and I find the power steering more accurate at speed, on track rubber at speed the 964 can take a lot of arm work through the turns...the 93 engine has more torque, but the 964 desite not having varioram, comes on cam and flies,,,both great experiences...for me the 93 edges it, but it is a bit like saying I prefer the brunette supermodel to the blonde
DId you notice the gearing in the 964 being a little shorter? it also feels much smaller to me. Compares more to an Early car than a 993....

I have been driving my RS cars back to back this week. The 964 seems to be way quicker, more snap than the 993. Once you get the 993 in the higher revs it really takes off and feels faster. The gear box for the 993 feels more track focused?

I agree with the supermodel comment.

Back to the post at hand.

A good 964 is hard to find, but a great value in my book. They can go nothing but up in value.

There are a boat load of really nice 993 cars. If you look hard there are deals to be had in the high $20K range.

If you can find a nice low mile 964 jump on it. It may take some time. ( for a good coupe ) Cabs seem to be more plentiful. I feel the 964 has bottomed out and on the way up...

I drive a RSA more than any car I have. I love it. It gets 10K miles a year, rain or shine. Good A/C. great ride, It I only could have one daily driver that would be the one. ( GT3 exluded )

Good luck, either way you win.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:29 AM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddimus
I forgot to add one thing...

To paraphrase a quote from my local indie wrench: "The 964 is like a good girlfriend. Fun for a while. The 993 is like the girl you introduce to your parents and tell them you're going to marry her"
yeah...but after a while the sexual performance of your wife becomes boring...her breasts begin to sag and then comes the mistress... and then the divorce and you end up with a younger girl (aka. watercooled Porsche)
Old 09-20-2007, 09:03 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by zicoramone
yeah...but after a while the sexual performance of your wife becomes boring...her breasts begin to sag and then comes the mistress... and then the divorce and you end up with a younger girl (aka. watercooled Porsche)
And you are happy for 2 weeks because she is fast and furious and makes your head turn, but she is also high maintenance and has no soul. Then you regret your decision and wished you were back to your true love. (aka. aircooled - aka true Porsche)
Old 09-20-2007, 09:14 AM
JohnMetro
Racer

I actually gave my wife that choice... I said "I need to get a mistress OR a Porsche".
Her answer was "get the car, cheaper in the long run"
Old 09-20-2007, 09:26 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnMetro
I actually gave my wife that choice... I said "I need to get a mistress OR a Porsche".
Her answer was "get the car, cheaper in the long run"
You are lucky! If I would have asked that to my wife, she would have said.."Get the mistress... I'll get the Porsche, the house, the kids..."
Old 09-20-2007, 09:31 AM
JohnMetro
Racer

Originally Posted by cabrio993
You are lucky! If I would have asked that to my wife, she would have said.."Get the mistress... I'll get the Porsche, the house, the kids..."
ha ha!

Oops, I never thought of that option. I'm lucky that she allows me to indulge myself in most of my passions. Her birthday tomorrow morning though, so I have bought her a lovely fat diamond ring (makes up for forgetting her birthday last year, oops again!)
Old 09-20-2007, 10:30 AM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have the same issue here in Argentina but with an ugly twist: I have saved U$S 50K to buy my dream 911 and that´s what a nice 964 costs here. To buy a 993 you need between 60 and 70K and I´m talking about US dollars
also there are very few cars to choose from so I´m still waiting
Old 09-20-2007, 10:38 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kike924
I have the same issue here in Argentina but with an ugly twist: I have saved U$S 50K to buy my dream 911 and that´s what a nice 964 costs here. To buy a 993 you need between 60 and 70K and I´m talking about US dollars
also there are very few cars to choose from so I´m still waiting
Can you 'just' buy a U.S. car and import it???
Old 09-20-2007, 11:03 AM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys are too funny...isn't it amazing how life can imitate car ownership

Anyway, since I started the post I think I can throw a new wrinkle in the mix...its seem a lot of people (me included) are under the assumption that if you have an DD and don't live in the sun all year round, you get a C4. However, I am curious how the C2's handle in the rain. Now, I'm not talking about driving it to the limit but just getting in the car in the rain/light snow and driving home from work. After all, the weight is over the power wheels which will give optimal traction.

What are the C2 owner's thoughts on using the car as a daily driver (except when you know it's going to snow and can drive the 4x4 truck). What would you choose if you were driving 80% dry and the rest rain and occasional time you get caught in the flurries.

My intention is to determine whether I should be looking for only c4's or if I should look for both and take the best one that I find without consideration of the drivetrain.

Regards,
Adam

Quick Reply: Real world comparison: 993 and 964