rear brake question

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 10:17 AM
tsjoel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 32 Posts
Default rear brake question

my brake pad sensor indicator came on so I checked my brakes and they seem good. Backs are worn more than the fronts. I did not have a ruler to measure their thickness. My last inspection gave my fronts and 7 and backs a 5. Not really sure if they know what the porsche brakes should be. I am going to the track next weekend so I decided to order the back brakes. Can anyone tell me at what measurement the brakes should be replaced?

Can you remove the rear pads without taking the calipers off? I did the fronts a few years ago and I think I removed the calipers.

I did a search but there are soooo many hits on brakes etc.

Thanks in advance

(will miss the lazybones comment from Ray)
Old 09-18-2007, 10:26 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 352 Posts

The light will come on if there is an break anywhere in the circuit. There is a continous loop.

For track days you want at least 50% pad for several reasons, among them, the thicker pad is a better heat barrier.

The pads can be removed from the caliper w/o dismounting the caliper if you don't use the spiders. If you do still have the spiders you can use a thin spackle knife w/ a sharp edge to separate the spider from the pad in situ.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:39 PM
tsjoel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 32 Posts

I removed the spiders from the fronts when I removed them but I am sure the rears still have them. If they still have them do I have to remove the calipers?

What would be the measurement for 50%?
Old 09-18-2007, 09:50 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

I have trouble imagining anyone measures their pads--especially hard to see the rear pads and a ruler at the same time!. Eyeball it against a new pad. For DE use, err on the side of replacing sooner than later. You need more than half the pad remaining--as Bill said--to last the event and stay safe and also to pass the tech inspection. And you can definitely get the spiders out without removing the calipers. Brakes are the kind of project that after you do it once, you're an expert.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:08 PM
quasr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my opinion the sensors are set to alert earlier in the wear process than I would have thought. I would guess there is at least 1/4 wear left after the sensor alerts to brake wear. I just replaced my front and rear brakes, rotors and all, and of course the sensors.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:15 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Replaced the sensors??
Real men don't need no stinking sensors!!

Quick Reply: rear brake question