Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

The parking ding...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 09:28 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Apparently, from what I can remember, the ducts are not already part of the wing, a cut has to be made into the wing and the duct insterted, the surround is then made good with filler, etc. This would expalin a bit of the labour. If they are going to hack up a new wing for the duct and use filler on that I'm sure they could attempt to repair the old one quite easily!
Old 09-18-2007, 10:12 AM
Pete
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by urban_alchemist
OK: Update...

Estimate - £5,000 repair (60 hours labor + parts) at a Porsche approved body-shop with a lifetime guarantee. Not ashamed to say I choked a little when I heard that. Now have to work out what's less painfull (long-term) on the wallet - coughing up myself, or giving it to the insurance.

As for London's CCTV situation, I spoke to the police at the scene - all cameras are the council's for "traffic monitoring" (read: ticketing). The police can't gain access to it except in exceptional circumstances (murder, hit-and-run-death etc)... shows where this city's priorities are...

NOT happy.
I have to agree with the majority that no way I would let anyone replace the whole quarter panel. A good bodyman can hammer and dolly that crease out and you will never know it. Noah is right about silver being tough to match but it can be done. Between the time I made the deal on my arctic silver coupe and went to pick it up (Saturday until Tuesday) someone keyed a 12" long scratch on top of the right rear fender. The dealer's shop where I bought the car repaired it and at least a half dozen people have inspected it including one professional body painter and another car collector and none can find the repair. Porsche's arctic silver is a pretty fine metallic and I think easier to match than other silvers by someone who know what they're doing.

I know you got your estimate from a Porsche-approved shop but too often these shops are "parts-changers"...i.e. cut off old quarter, weld on new one; remove old hood, bolt on new one; cut off old door skin, put on new one. If I were you, I'd look for more of a restoration-style shop like one that does body work on old Rolls or Jags. The real craftsman will probably even use lead instead of plastic filler but they won't even need much of that. It can be repaired perfectly by the right guy and for a lot less than 5000 pounds, what's that about $10,000 USD or more?

Good luck,
Pete
Old 09-18-2007, 04:29 PM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Update: Speaking to others, they agree that amputating the wing is equivalent to amputating a leg for a broken foot. Now waiting on a costing for beating out the panel... it is going to be "cheaper" (funny how these guys always go for the most expensive option) going to find out how much tomorrow...

Still pissed...

Last edited by urban_alchemist; 09-23-2007 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:30 PM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

Viz Top tip:

Just put a big crease in the other side and tell everyone it was a factory exclusive option that reduces weight and drag coefficiency and increases HP...
Old 09-22-2007, 09:42 PM
md11plt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UA, any updates? I have been laying awake at night wondering how the Mistress is doing!
Old 09-23-2007, 12:51 PM
urban_alchemist
Pro

I'll fully update next week (when the car's safely with me), but all I'll say now is that I'm getting it repaired by the guys who initially gave me the estimate, but I'm paying 15% of the original quote.

And the wing stays!!!
Old 09-23-2007, 03:11 PM
pezza
Racer

I'll fully update next week (when the car's safely with me), but all I'll say now is that I'm getting it repaired by the guys who initially gave me the estimate, but I'm paying 15% of the original quote.

And the wing stays!!!
This sounds better news!
Old 09-23-2007, 05:26 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Was Brittany in London too?
Old 09-23-2007, 06:02 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Now that price seems OK!
Old 10-13-2007, 08:21 PM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Well, the car's back, and following the garage commencing repairs before I'd given the go-ahead, a second estimate from a very reputable bodyshop led to an 85% reduction. Thank god I took photos.

Despite the cost discrepancy, credit must be given where credit's due: the work is flawless and beautiful, and comes with a Porsche lifetime guarantee... all in all, I'm very happy with how this turned out...
Old 10-13-2007, 08:36 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the work is flawless and beautiful, and comes with a Porsche lifetime guarantee... all in all, I'm very happy with how this turned out...
Mazal tov, that's great to hear.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:01 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cool that you got it done to your satisfaction at a reasonable price. Sorta scary, though. 15% of an original quote for superb work. Clearly points out the need for a user rating service.

Quick Reply: The parking ding...