The parking ding...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 05:19 AM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default The parking ding...

... to end all dings...

After 8 weeks away, the day I get back I take the Mistress to the shops on a glorious Saturday afternoon. Parked up by the side of the road only to return an hour later to find this...

The car's being towed to a Porsche-approved bodyshop... any idea the effect this'll have on the resale (the car's never been painted/repaired before)...
Attached Images   
Old 09-17-2007, 05:47 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 194 Posts

UA,

Sorry to hear (see?)this!

People should be "drawn and quartered" for this type of behavior....

I cant even put a +ve spin on it for you as the car is PERFECT!

BOL,

Simon
Old 09-17-2007, 06:08 AM
p993enthusiast
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man that is harsh, esp on a pristine Turbo S.

I am probably stating the obvious, but I would document this "accident" as best you can with photos and keep all the invoices from a reputable repair shop so in case you do sell it down the line, you can come clean and play down the damage.

Alan
Old 09-17-2007, 07:12 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That looks like something a PWT would do
Old 09-17-2007, 10:32 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I would guess that the entire fender will need to be replaced as the crease is so severe. As the others suggested, take lots of photos before and during the repair process. As long as a minor repair is documented, I would expect that this won't hurt your resale much, if at all.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:06 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sonofabitch.

This type of thing REALLY gets my goat! As I type this, I am actually, incensed!

The advice you're getting (pix, paint, documentation) is correct. Not for nuffin', but 'silver' is the hardest to 'match' -- even for the expert body/paint guys -- so don't be surprised if they 'recommend' that the whole SIDE of the car be 'done' -- not just the quarter panel.

My heart goes out to you.

Gerry
Old 09-17-2007, 12:21 PM
bill d cat
Feral Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Boost Crazy
People should be "drawn and quartered" for this type of behavior....
+1

Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
Driving a Porsche in London is like bringing a Ming vase to a football game
Doesn't London have the largest number of security cameras of any city? If so, wouldn't there be some record of the accident, somewhere?
Old 09-17-2007, 12:33 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TomF
I would guess that the entire fender will need to be replaced as the crease is so severe.
A good metal guy will be able to tap that out with a hammer and dolly so perfectly that I doubt you'll need anything more than filler primer -- no bondo at all. A very easy repair. The hardest part is going to be paint matching; metallic silver is one of the most troublesome colors to match.

Sorry to see this. A bummer, but an easily fixable one.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:12 PM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

OK: Update...

Estimate - £5,000 repair (60 hours labor + parts) at a Porsche approved body-shop with a lifetime guarantee. Not ashamed to say I choked a little when I heard that. Now have to work out what's less painfull (long-term) on the wallet - coughing up myself, or giving it to the insurance.

As for London's CCTV situation, I spoke to the police at the scene - all cameras are the council's for "traffic monitoring" (read: ticketing). The police can't gain access to it except in exceptional circumstances (murder, hit-and-run-death etc)... shows where this city's priorities are...

NOT happy.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:13 PM
air eater
Burning Brakes

Are there any of the goverment "eyes from the sky" security cameras mounted in the immediate area that might have captured this ******* hitting your car?
It's worth a look since their were no witnesses to the accident.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:28 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by urban_alchemist
OK: Update...

As for London's CCTV situation, I spoke to the police at the scene - all cameras are the council's for "traffic monitoring" (read: ticketing). The police can't gain access to it except in exceptional circumstances (murder, hit-and-run-death etc)... shows where this city's priorities are...

NOT happy.
Wouldn't this be considered a traffic incident? Shouldn't the offending party be
ticketed for leaving the scene of an accident?
Old 09-17-2007, 01:29 PM
texas911
Race Car

Oh, man that hurts. Even I'm crying for you. That totally sucks.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:30 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by urban_alchemist

Estimate - £5,000 repair (60 hours labor + parts) at a Porsche approved body-shop with a lifetime guarantee.
That's about the most ludicrous estimate I've ever heard. A week and a half of labor to fix a small crease in the fender! Are these people serious? And what parts are they talking about? The only "parts" on the estimate should be primer, sandpaper, and paint.

I hope you laughed in the guy's face and are planning on getting some other estimates. Sixty hours!
Old 09-17-2007, 02:34 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Sorry to hear about your car! I do agree, the hours estimated seem to be excessive. The panel at that spot is easy to access and only one layer thick, a good metal guy could reshape that metal to so close to perfect you can't see it. i have seen one of our local body experts (Boris @ Korva) take a dent worse than that and, with a series of hammers and lot of skill, had it almost perfect in about 1 hour (mind you he was an apprentice at Ferrarri when he was a kid pounded out aluminum bodies..). I had the rear tail hit once on my 911SC and Boris did just that to it, it came out perfect. It seems that is the least invasive method of fixing the damage.

Maybe the damage is worse than what we can see on the picts..I am curious on the hours....can you give us some details?

I would file with the insurance company, its a hit and run, you should get it fixed and then argue about depreciated value.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 09-17-2007, 02:47 PM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

60 hrs ??? are they replacing the entire rear quarter panel ??? like Mike J said find another body shop that can "reshape" the rear quarter panel... that is a S...

Quick Reply: The parking ding...