Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default delete thread

delete thread please

Last edited by ledd4u; 09-24-2007 at 10:12 AM. Reason: delete thread
Old 09-14-2007, 07:09 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tecnhology wheels never came from the factory chromed and IIRC PCNA actually issued a bulletin alerting that chroming the wheels affected their structural integrity. If you search previous posts, "Jeff 993TT" posted pics of his chromed wheels that were damaged. Apparently during the chroming process, the chemicals enter into the hollow spokes and are never fully flushed out so eventually their is negative reaction with the aluminum. I used to have chromed Technology wheels on my cab below and considered myself lucky to get $1000 for them.

You should consider just selling those once you are done refurbishing them and getting a set of factory wheels. Just my $0.02.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:24 AM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

I have heard the same thing-wheels are the last thing you want compromised. Might be good to search just as an FYI. Project looks fun regardless-good luck with it-post pics when done-
Old 09-14-2007, 09:10 AM
pezza
Racer

I know nothing about chrome wheels as we don't have them alot in the UK, but it is very important that when you have any refurb work done on the hollow spoke wheels that they are not dipped into anything, without an upside down valve inserted as the spokes will fill with the solution they are being dipped in, then it can cause unseen damage inside the wheel, or prove to be a problem when getting the wheels balanced if any product or solution is in the wheel spokes.

Just a heads up, have fun and the wheels look great, post some finished shots.

Perry
Old 09-14-2007, 09:49 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ledd4u
If the correct chemicals are used, the the alloy will not be damaged. I just love this forum.
Please re-read my post and search for the post and pics as I suggested It has nothing to do with whether the chemicals used are "correct" or not...it has to do with the fact that the design of hollow spoke Technology wheels means that you risk not flushing out or neutralizing all of the chemicals used in the chroming process.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:20 PM
pezza
Racer

Originally Posted by David in LA
Please re-read my post and search for the post and pics as I suggested It has nothing to do with whether the chemicals used are "correct" or not...it has to do with the fact that the design of hollow spoke Technology wheels means that you risk not flushing out or neutralizing all of the chemicals used in the chroming process.

This is exactly what I'm talking about also. The upside down valve stops any solution entering the spokes.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:20 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by pezza
This is exactly what I'm talking about also. The upside down valve stops any solution entering the spokes.
Do you have a picture or link to what this valve looks like?? Thanks.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:25 AM
pezza
Racer

It's the regular valve from the hollow spoke wheel, just inserted upside down.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:01 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by pezza
It's the regular valve from the hollow spoke wheel, just inserted upside down.
Ah, OK....thanks

Quick Reply: .