Need legal advise to save my p-car

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 12:12 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mike cap
Wow, just read this thread for the 1st time! Similar thing happened to me (my company) a while back. We rented a generator (portable on wheels) to a contractor that decided to stop paying the rental AND keep the unit. He had it covered in cardboard hidden in the back of his shop.

Did the usual attorney, sherriff bs. No one was willing to help - it was a 'civil matter'. Yeah, right, this a**hole has my stuff - just like the tranny.

Finally I went there myself, with one of our trucks following to get the generator. I had all the ownership documents. I called the sherriff and told the dispatcher that I was licensed to carry a concealed weapon (Colt 45 auto - tough to conceal, though), was armed and was going to the location to recover my property. Just thought they should know in case there was a problem.

Five minutes later a sherriff shows up - looked like an ex linebacker for the Buffalo Bills - nice guy. The 'customer' comes out of the building when he sees me talking to the officer. Sherriff looks at my documents, asks this dirtbag if he has my property. The customer says yes....

The sherriff looks down from 6' 5" and says, "Well, this gentleman is here to get is property and there IS NOT going to be a problem, is there?

Left with the generator five minutes later.

I would follow this plan - weapon or not is your choice. It sucks when someone steals your stuff. As Al Capone said, "You get more with a kind word and a gun then you do with a kind word alone."
This is how I would do it too, but I live in VA, where you can open or concealed carry. Open tends to make the point even more effectively. But I doubt that's an option in Kalifornia. Fairfax Co. Police would probably be happy to assist around here.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:28 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

What is the latest? didja get your stuff?
Old 11-07-2007, 01:10 PM
long_beach_968
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I filed suit against the guy, and he was beating my door down to get it to me. I finally got it back and suprisingly it looked ligit. The case was all cleaned and sandblasted, the diff was nice and tight, you could tell there was new LSD parts, and the shifting was a bit notchy as is with new synchros in a rebuild. I put it back in the car, start it up, and it soulds like theres rocks bouncing around in it. I am so F***ing over this!
Old 11-07-2007, 01:26 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully you have a good lawyer, because Karma is just too damn slow. Of course the courts aren't much faster. Best of lust getting it resolved.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:28 PM
Derek_C
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, at least you have your property.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:49 PM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Don't be so quick to dismiss your tranny - my 21 sounds like it has rocks in it as well in no gear - when you put the clutch in does the rock noise go away? It should.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:54 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=Rick Lee;4571583]This is how I would do it too, but I live in VA, where you can open or concealed carry. Open tends to make the point even more effectively. But I doubt that's an option in Kalifornia. [QUOTE]

You might just be surprised about California Rick because you can carry in the open in San Diego but only if the weapon is unloaded (unloaded pistol=hammer in a holster) and considering how many rookies we have in SDPD it would be a great way to get shot.

Whenever I see someone suggest using a gun to get what property they want (or want back), it disturbes me. The possible use of force, deadly or otherwise, is not a good idea over a tranny or generator (mere property) unless you are willing to be some inmates sweetheart in prison for a few years.

ZP44
Old 11-07-2007, 02:14 PM
long_beach_968
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it is on jack stands right now, it sounds like rocks when I put it in gear and it gets more prominent the higher gear I go, the sound is almost not there when in neutral.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:39 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

I would have it checked out by another shop before any damage occurs. If it isn't right , have it fixed. I had to do this very thing for some suspension problems with my motorcycle. Luckily the first place was reasonable and reimbursed me. It sounds like you'll have to take it to the courts. It sucks to have to be in that position, but it appears you are not left with much choice. Best of luck.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:08 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by long_beach_968
it is on jack stands right now, it sounds like rocks when I put it in gear and it gets more prominent the higher gear I go, the sound is almost not there when in neutral.

Take it to Callas, he'll get it right, or if not he'll know who to refer you to...and then sue the $hit ball for the cost, i.e., put a lien against his shop.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:22 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 659 Likes on 389 Posts

Suing someone is reserved for situations that can't be resolved out of court first, and you may be able to resolve it. So, before you sue him, tell him that there is a problem with the trans and ask him to come to some agreement such as refunding your money, paying to have it fixed, cash settlement, etc. It's worth a shot and costs nothing but a few minutes of time. After having been served in Round 1, he now knows that you're serious.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:51 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I just read this thread. I'm a Trustee in Bankruptcy in Canada and deal with these scumbags all the time. You were lucky that your guy was relatively gutless. I expected that the end of the story would be that you attended to get the box and he had sold it long ago.

I'm glad it at least partially worked out.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:16 PM
99three
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
The Benelli makes a statement.
So does "El Corbino". No permit required.
Sweet dog. What's the breed?
Old 11-07-2007, 04:39 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 895 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by 99three
Sweet dog. What's the breed?
It's my son's American Staffordshire Terrier. Sweet as a lamb as long as you show him your Rennlist creds.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:53 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the mechanic/owner of the shop would not by chance go by the name: marc would he???

those phone skills & temper sound eeriely familiar of a shop i once knew... which i never returned to, to let him 'try again.'

x2 on takin' it to tony callas.

bol

Quick Reply: Need legal advise to save my p-car