993 Forum 1995-1998

Need legal advise to save my p-car

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 10:50 PM
long_beach_968
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need legal advise to save my p-car

So my tranny has been at this shop for the past three months, and the guy no longer gives me that warm fuzzy feeling. Whenever I call for an update its always "good" nothing more. One time I stopped by and surprised him, asked how it was coming and he said "its at the machine shop being media blasted and crack tested." I saw the tranny sitting in a corner of the shop as he told me this to my face. He called me 2 weeks ago and told me it's ready, but every time I call to pick it up, theres another reason why I can't. Today I opened asking him if he was at the shop, the told me yes, I said I'm coming by to pick it up. And he tells me it's at game face in la habra being dyno tested???? I have never heard of dyno testing a manual for proper shifting, but more importantly, wasn't it done???? I called game face and they say they have no G50 in their shop. I called the guy and casually slipped in conversation that they mentioned they have none. He told me I'm doing some "shady sh-t" and hung up. The police tell me they can't do anything to get it back, even though the casting number on the case will match my vin. And the only way to get it back it through small claims court, but once I do so, I know he is going to trash it before giving it to me. Not to mention he is going to try to charge for services not authorized, and probably not rendered. What do I do???
Old 09-11-2007, 10:58 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take three of your biggest friends over there. Obviously you all won't fit in another 993...

Sorry about this - I have no good advice but it makes me furious to see people get played this way. Hope it works out.

dave
Old 09-11-2007, 11:01 PM
ARM993
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy cow what a nightmare! Sorry to hear of your troubles with this character. If the cops won't intervene it sounds like consulting your attorney is in line. It seems like he could at least be charged with theft if he won't produce the tranny and you've got paperwork on the deal of some sort. Someone will have better advice here I'm sure. That is wrong.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:18 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Show up with a couple of friends. Fear of a confrontation might work for you if he's not a real tough nut. If he won't give it to you, I would file a police report and see what they will do. If you have no luck there, get a lawyer to send a letter. That usually scares most (except from the career criminals who have seen it before).
Old 09-11-2007, 11:29 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 392 Posts

Might try contacting your local DA.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:31 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 898 Likes on 538 Posts

Possession is 9/10. I would not wait to go get it. It will only get worse.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:32 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the US you guys have REPO . services ..... why not give one of these service a call and see what they say but I would not talk to this nuckle head till you have a plan of action . The element of surprise is the best way to retrive your property I would think . Just my .02 pennies .

Good Luck
Guy
Old 09-11-2007, 11:36 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 497 Likes on 320 Posts

My suggestion is this auto Benelli. Mossberg also makes a shotgun called the Persuader.
Attached Images  
Old 09-11-2007, 11:54 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, one way to get your transmission back would be to go over to the shop and tell the "mechanic" that you're taking your transmission home now, and don't leave until he hands it over. Bring large friends if necessary.

I'm sorry but I'm going to be blunt here: you've been acting like a wuss. This guy was lying to your face saying that the tranny wasn't at his shop, but you saw it over his shoulder in the corner and said nothing? He lied to you about it being "dyno tested" and you did nothing?

Come on man. Eat your Wheaties and go get your gearbox back.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:56 PM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What an ***-hat!!!

Good luck with this ... hope it turns out OK.

Scott
Old 09-12-2007, 12:03 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,987 Likes on 1,772 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah
I'm sorry but I'm going to be blunt here: you've been acting like a wuss. This guy was lying to your face saying that the tranny wasn't at his shop, but you saw it over his shoulder in the corner and said nothing? He lied to you about it being "dyno tested" and you did nothing?

Come on man. Eat your Wheaties and go get your gearbox back.
Sorry to say but +1. Now, go get your box back.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:56 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

Sorry to hear of this trouble. You should have dropped it off at my place, I would have rebuilt it for you
Old 09-12-2007, 01:12 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 898 Likes on 538 Posts

The Benelli makes a statement.
So does "El Corbino". No permit required.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:07 AM
trickydisco
Burning Brakes

wtf??? if that's how it really went down, then this guy needs to die.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:11 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Originally Posted by long_beach_968
So my tranny has been at this shop for the past three months, and the guy no longer gives me that warm fuzzy feeling. Whenever I call for an update its always "good" nothing more. One time I stopped by and surprised him, asked how it was coming and he said "its at the machine shop being media blasted and crack tested." I saw the tranny sitting in a corner of the shop as he told me this to my face. He called me 2 weeks ago and told me it's ready, but every time I call to pick it up, theres another reason why I can't. Today I opened asking him if he was at the shop, the told me yes, I said I'm coming by to pick it up. And he tells me it's at game face in la habra being dyno tested???? I have never heard of dyno testing a manual for proper shifting, but more importantly, wasn't it done???? I called game face and they say they have no G50 in their shop. I called the guy and casually slipped in conversation that they mentioned they have none. He told me I'm doing some "shady sh-t" and hung up. The police tell me they can't do anything to get it back, even though the casting number on the case will match my vin. And the only way to get it back it through small claims court, but once I do so, I know he is going to trash it before giving it to me. Not to mention he is going to try to charge for services not authorized, and probably not rendered. What do I do???
how did you find this shop?

Quick Reply: Need legal advise to save my p-car