Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

windshield washer nozzles broken?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 02:37 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default windshield washer nozzles broken?

My windshield washers don't work (no spray).

I've pulled out the headlight, and the pump, ensured it pumped (spraying my friend that was helping me in the face while I worked the safe end, the steering column stalk... Mildly humorous, however.) I get water all the way up into the hood water fittings. So its pretty much narrowed down to the nozzles.

I've poked the nozzles with a sewing needle to try and clean them out, but they seemed fairly clean. Is there a better way to clear them? More aggressive needling? Soaking in _____??? Or are they just dead?

Such a simple question, I figured it would have been answered, so I searched, to no avail.... Argh!!! Stumped on my first "this should be easy" DIY project...

Thanks, in advance, for the help!
Old 09-10-2007, 03:09 PM
pezza
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

leave them soaking overnight in vinegar, will clear any debris out, then give them a blast with an air line at the petrol station.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:22 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Thanks, pezza! I'll give it a shot this week.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:49 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

From memory there are some valves in the plumbing of the hoses tucked away in the front lid. Over time debris and deposits can build up; back flushing them may help.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:21 AM
kjr914
Drifting

ARRGGHHH !!!

A simple (yet VERY annoying) explanation for the washer failure.... The hoses in the hood were hooked up incorrectly when the car was put back together following its repaint last year by the PO. I'm guessing since we are in SoCal, he would have never used the washers, so never noticed they didn't work.

For others future reference, there are two one way valves going the the two nozzles. Driver's side is a T-fitting (with a pass through to the passenger side) and passenger side is a straight through. There is a little arrow showing the proper direction of water flow on the valves....this was my clue....after disassembling the entire system and testing all along the way and soaking the nozzles in vinegar, it was this simple screwup. Bummer I didn't notice earlier...argh!

Got is all back together and tested it.... Only to find that the cable/zip ties I used to hold the hoses to the fittings were not adequate under pressure and leak like a sieve. So it will be back to the auto parts store to find some better clamps next weekend. Originals were squeeze-on clamps.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:37 AM
tfm
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

While we're on the subject, I have a driver's side nozzle that's come loose in front of the headlight. I have a new nozzle and the grommet behind it ...but now how do I get at the back of the nozzle hole, take off the wheel liner?
Thanks in advance, tfm
Old 09-24-2007, 10:37 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you get at it by removing the headlight? When I replaced the bad nozzle on my car, I only had to crush the grommet from above. (The original nozzle lies out on Mt Tremblant somewhere.)

Quick Reply: windshield washer nozzles broken?