Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear window glass inside gets dirty too fast - ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 09:36 PM
hyphenf15
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear window glass inside gets dirty too fast - ideas?

OK - hear is one for the experts to solve.

My rear window glass inside the car gets hazy/filmy within one week from the center out. My car is a daily driver in Florida. No window tint. New vinyl and foam installed last fall along with replacement speakers on the rear deck. This problem did not really start until early summer this year. No water leaks that I can tell.

When I run the A/C, I cool the car under max a/c then use normal a/c once the interior is cool. I very rarely use the recirculate button on the right side of the control unit.

I can't tell much about the junk I'm getting off the window. It discolors the wipes some, but I can't detect an odor. Best removal seems to be a dry microfiber towel.

Do I have a stuck recirculate valve? A leak of some kind from the engine compartment? (Does not smell different than before) Off gas from the vinyl/foam? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:05 PM
coltj
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd suspect plasticizer out-gassing from the new vinyl & foam. Hot weather makes it worse.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:15 PM
hyphenf15
Pro

If it is out-gassing, any idea how long it will continue?
Old 09-09-2007, 11:38 PM
Greg Bell
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

I agree it's coming from the vinyl. I have the same problem in North Queensland Australia and one way to beat it is a car cover if it's parked outside or park it under cover when not in use.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:33 AM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

In the string of cars I've put many miles on, the ones that outgassed and left haze on the glass continued to do so throughout their life. I'd tell you just to live with it and wipe the window every week, but that back glass is a royal pain in the butt to get to...

dave

PS - did you get some aftermarket deck vinyl or did you replace with factyory parts?
Old 09-10-2007, 06:30 AM
quasr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you get this little baby. I live in Florida and have the same problem with no changes to the rear. Use this and Invisible Glass cleaner. Should work for a few weeks at a time. Best of luck!

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog....1001&SKU=90247
Old 09-10-2007, 07:46 AM
hyphenf15
Pro

Aftermarket vinyl. Sounds like I'll just have to get used to cleaning...alot. Quasar - Cool mini shovel, does it really help or is it more work than it is worth?
Old 09-10-2007, 11:30 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 142 Posts

You have to put on some protectant like Trin Shine (Stoner) or ninyl dressing to keep the gases from escaping.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:35 AM
Chuck A.
Pro

I've noticed that if i use a vinyl protectant, like Maguire's, it makes it much worse. I have seen this on my 993, Audi and Tahoe, so I'm thinking that it's the protectant and not the vinyl itself.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:35 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by hyphenf15
Aftermarket vinyl. Sounds like I'll just have to get used to cleaning...alot. Quasar - Cool mini shovel, does it really help or is it more work than it is worth?
It's worth it, especially if you also order a bottle of their glass cleaner. For me, Windex just seems to smear stuff around. The "shovel" makes it easier to reach and wipe. I hate that job.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:09 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Can you tint the back window to slow down the heat and UV?
Old 09-10-2007, 12:17 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Mike, window tinting here in Florida is a greatly overrated thing. It'll cool the interior maybe 5-10 degrees F, but when you're talking 120 - 140 degrees F to start with its not a significant reduction. Now I do believe the UV blockers in the tiniting help keep the interior from fading and breaking down so fast. My 930 I had "Limo" tinting done all of the side and rear windows trying to take some of the strain off the AC, but when its as hot as it gets here everything is heat-soaked and until you drive enough to get the interior cooled down its just plain hot.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:15 PM
Pete
Instructor

Originally Posted by hyphenf15
OK - hear is one for the experts to solve.

My rear window glass inside the car gets hazy/filmy within one week from the center out. My car is a daily driver in Florida. No window tint. New vinyl and foam installed last fall along with replacement speakers on the rear deck. This problem did not really start until early summer this year. No water leaks that I can tell.

When I run the A/C, I cool the car under max a/c then use normal a/c once the interior is cool. I very rarely use the recirculate button on the right side of the control unit.

I can't tell much about the junk I'm getting off the window. It discolors the wipes some, but I can't detect an odor. Best removal seems to be a dry microfiber towel.

Do I have a stuck recirculate valve? A leak of some kind from the engine compartment? (Does not smell different than before) Off gas from the vinyl/foam? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
I agree with the other guys that it's fumes/gas from the vinyl. It might diminish a little over time but don't hope for too much. Years ago, like almost 40, I had a Fiat 124 that continuously had "foggy" inside windows. It was from fumes given off by the upholstery according to the experts (having been made in Italy, it had a faint garlic odor...only joking, but being half-Italian myself, I wish it would have smelled like garlic!). Th only thing that helped, and not much at that, was to keep the windows as clean as possible. Heat from the sun also speeds up the fume emissions so keep her as cool as possible. I have a very minor version of this and always have had on my 944's windshield.

Good luck,
Pete
Old 09-10-2007, 09:14 PM
hyphenf15
Pro

Well, I couldn't stand the split vinyl any longer so I had to replace it. Now it sounds like I will be stuck with some off gas issues for a couple of years or more. I will probably tint the windows just to cut down on the heat and UV somewhat. Then I will just have to clean it on a regular basis. I don't have the ability to park in the shade for the entire day, so reduced sun exposure is not an option. I really appreciate everyone's feedback to my question.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:00 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Hmmmm... Tell your kid to quit putting her dirty hands on the back window while you're driving. Oh, that's my car.

Quick Reply: Rear window glass inside gets dirty too fast - ideas?