Sponsored by:

Secret bond. Know it!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 06:40 PM
TYNUSKT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Denise993
I've given up... the DC area is not the friendliest place... I was filling up at a gas station in my SUV and told a guy in the pump next to me that I like his 997... he didn't even reply with a reasonable "Thanks"... just grunted... so rude... I rode in next to a brand new 997 this morning while I was in my 993... I gave the guy a wave and got nothin'... I'm done... (unless you are in a 993, then I know you are hip to the wave).
I love living in this area. When I drive my R32 I get the "V" sign from other V-Dub owners all the time.

Last edited by TYNUSKT; 09-10-2007 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Because I needed to
Old 09-10-2007, 06:54 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by TYNUSKT
I love living in this area. When I drive my R32 I get the "V" sign from other V-Dub owners all the time.
Are their knuckles facing you? Maybe they're European...
Old 09-10-2007, 07:06 PM
TYNUSKT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
Are their knuckles facing you? Maybe they're European...
Maybe..
Attached Images  
Old 09-10-2007, 09:01 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by TYNUSKT
Mark we need to do a meet so I can investigate your avatar!!!!!!
Old 09-10-2007, 09:15 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Something like this popped up over on the 930 board, where they were feeling neglected and such by not being recognized. I had to point out that back in 1980 when I was the enthusiastic "new" owner of a 1968 911..........the original owners of those 930's, having spent $30K (!) on a luxury laden pig of a 911, generally wouldn't have anything to do with a lowly 12 year old 911.

So, not much has changed.

Oh, and now that I'm back to commuting in the C4S for the time being, I find it's pretty invisible running up and down the freeway.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:33 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Amfab
I don't think that this discussion is about an inanimate object being some representation of a person’s worth; I think it is about people of like mind recognizing others of like mind. Human beings tend to be quite flock oriented, it’s just part of the make up of our psychology.

Porsches, and some other marques, have traditionally been quite unique in how they look sound and feel, and this uniqueness tends to attract a certain type of person, with a certain aesthetic. Also due to the perceived prestige of the marque there are some people who buy simply for that reason, or at least that is a major factor in their choice. That is fine; people can buy whatever they like for whatever reason, but what I think ROKN is saying is: Those people don’t understand, or “get” the traditional enthusiast’s point of view.

As Porsche, and other marques, move forward in adopting newer technology, higher performance can be achieved without sacrificing as many creature comforts. There are those that feel this dilutes the experience of the traditional aesthetic of the marque. All art works like this, whether it is a well designed automobile, a painting, or a piece of music. As technology and/or styles change, the enthusiasts of the traditional form will lament the dilution of that aesthetic. And they are correct; the original aesthetic has been diluted, definitely, the aesthetic has changed, the look sound and feel of the modern cars are different, and this tends to attract a certain type of person, one who has a different, not necessarily “bad,” aesthetic.

Of course this is frustrating to the traditional enthusiast--he/she feels a loss. It is a feeling that the new entrants to the market are of another tribe, one that does not share the love for the original aesthetic, or an understanding of the wave or light flash that traditionally expresses this common ground. It’s a loss of community, as well as a fear that the newer buyers are creating a demand for Porsche to move further away from the original aesthetic that they cherish.

While traditional enthusiasts have complained about minor changes to the product line in the past, I think there is a fairly common consensus that a major shift occurred in the aesthetic, and therefore the clientele, with the introduction of the Boxster, 996 and Cayenne models.
So... right on the money!
You could close the thread with that post.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:54 AM
95cab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All this time, I was waving at the car - wondering if I looked like a dog barking at a plane - now I get it.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:25 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I have almost given up - very rare in L.A. to get a return notice. But if you drive by me, there is at least a 50% chance you will think I gave the wave, but that's only because half the time driving in L.A. I'm extending my middle finger at all the other a-holes out there!
Old 09-14-2007, 03:01 AM
HK911
Advanced

This morning some guy was hauling A$$ coming my way in a 993….right when I wanted to blink my lights, I remembered I was in my Honda…. In my neighborhood, if you blink your lights… means there’s a copper waiting just ahead….didn’t want to throw him off, so I just watched him pass by like an unknown civilian..
Old 09-14-2007, 10:20 PM
hyphenf15
Pro

I waived at a guy in his 993 and my wife laughed because I was driving her Murano If that doesn't set you straight nothing will. Of course I didn't get a wave back either.

I've sinced flashed lights and waived at 3 Boxsters, a 996, drove beside a 997 cab with the top down and got zero recognition. I must be doing something wrong or maybe nobody is very happy driving the wonderful machines?

I won't give up....must continue to wave and see if I can get any response
Old 09-15-2007, 12:32 PM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

Best wavers are 356's and 993 owners!
Boxsters and Cayenne people, I ask why bother...
Btw, I get lots of waves & envy eyes from Subies and Hondas.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:45 PM
95cab
Instructor

I got an (unexpected) wave from a Boxster this am - just barely got back to him before passing. Didn't get a return wave from a 993 cab and a 356. Have gotten several waves from 997's?! And almost all 964's.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:15 AM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 55 Posts

I watched a beautiful speed yellow 993TT with yellow rims come racing up behind me on the 60 fwy a while back. As he passed me on the left I gave him a wave and immediately got a return wave and a smile. I was driving my lowly Impala company car at the time. Way to go fellow Porsche owner

See link in my sig - Save the Flash
Old 09-24-2007, 01:10 AM
98_993_cab
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

On a drive today we had waves, headlight flashes, and even my boy's "peace sign" was returned (probably easy to spot since the top was down ), so the Porsche spirit appears to be alive & well in the NW. There does seem to be a general correlation with aircooled drivers being more likely to respond, but on the other hand a Boxster hit the lights before me.

BTW, saw a silver CGT motoring around near Forest Heights a few weeks ago. Anyone on Rennlist?
Old 09-24-2007, 11:40 AM
RacyTracy
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yunggrazhoppa
When you can lease a new Porsche for $800/mo, you end up with a lot of people who buy status and have no clue or desire to have a clue about the heritage of the marquee and what it really means to drive a Porsche.
That's one of the guys where I work. I think he got his just to be seen in it. I thought I'd test him, so one day I asked him if he knew why the ignition key was on the left....and he just looked at me like I had landed from Mars.

Quick Reply: Secret bond. Know it!