Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Secret bond. Know it!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 06:53 PM
Fred's 964
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, you guys aren't going to believe this...I just had this discussion with my wife and she didn't get it. Here's the deal, I was driving on a 3 lane road through town yesterday. I could see a guy in a Speed Yellow Miata convertible trying to gain on my Speed Yellow 993. Not many Speed yellow cars out there, so it cought my eye, especially since he was traveling fast. He cought up with me at the light. I could tell he was eyeballing my car, so I gave him a slight wave. (after all his car was speed yellow too) He pulled up next to me to ask me what year my car was and told me he has a 993 too. He asked about my aero spoiler as he was thinking of adding one. After a few sentences, he waved and drove away. I told my wife the story and she called me a "Pooswa". I told her the correct term is "Porschewa". Two Porsche guys having a P-car discussion and suddenly she thinks I'm weird. Oh well, at least she loves the car, she gets credit for that. By the way, I pretty much follow the wave rules for all Porsche's and get similar results as stated above. 993's and 964's almost always wave back.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:57 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The 993 guys, along with air cooled guys get the wave and or light flash. The 993 guys act like we are in a fraternity; enthusiastic response. Most water cooled guys get a wave or flash depending on their car or response. PCA guys get wave or flash.

Chicks get my phone number.

I have noticed Boxter, younger, Cayenne, and, unfortunately some Middle Eastern and some Asian people do not get it. Such is So Cal.

Real Old guys are the best except for girls who put me in their cell phone and call me.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:59 PM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll admit, I dont always wave to boxters, but ALWAYS to a 911, no matter the year.

I even do it when driving the WRX and usually I get a very odd "why are you waiving at me" look and a hesitant wave
Old 09-08-2007, 07:04 PM
faster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cactus
1175 miles since I got mine and the only other Porsche I have passed was a Boxster and they were waving 2 miles away like the mother ship had landed! I sadly never see any 993's in my area ever!
now thats funny i dont care who you are
Old 09-08-2007, 07:46 PM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

I have given up on Boxsters. Those people have no clue, it's just another convertible to them, but the Hell with the uninitiated, I will always flash my lights! So there!

jv
Old 09-08-2007, 08:15 PM
slider172
Scared to Look
Rennlist Member

I flashed when I drove the Boxster, and I flash now. The guys in 944s seem to like the recognition , Cayenne drivers have no clue why someone is flashing at them. 928 drivers usually dont notice. I think they are too busy looking at all the warning lights that stay lit on thier dash .996 and 997 drivers some do some dont.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:48 PM
leonardjohnr
Advanced

The best *wave / thumbs-up* reaction has to have come from my wife (in the midst of telling me some story about her day), when a fellow 993 owner and I were driving along for about 1/4 mile... We nodded, eyed each others car, and then give one another the thumbs up...

My wife, not keen to what was actually going on, looked at me oddly and said "ah, what the hell was that... " I responded... "Well... ahh... hmmm... You wouldn't understand... it's a bit of a Porsche thing..."

I typically throw the *wave* to other 993'ers and 964'ers... My experience is few Boxters / 996 /997 gesture at all... and everything else you don't run into very often...
Old 09-08-2007, 10:18 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by slider172
...928 drivers usually dont notice. I think they are too busy looking at all the warning lights that stay lit on thier dash....
Old 09-08-2007, 10:24 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

When I got my first 911, in about 1990, a good friend with a 911SC taught me about waving. That night I was out driving around and waved to a 944, he looked at me like I had a third eye in the middle of my forehead. That was the last time I waved to a non-911. I do wave to 911s of all types--water cooled included. The area I currently live in does not have a lot of Porsches so I usually get a response. My other car is a Jeep YJ, so sometimes I get confused and wave to Jeeps while in the Porsche and vice versa.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:31 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

I always flash at another Porsche, regardless of type; have since 1984. I learned long ago never to expect one in return but to be pleasantly surprised if it happens. Some will, some won't, that's just life.

Some know to do it, others don't. It's not something that's in the owners manual so I think it's up to the seasoned owners to set the example.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:40 PM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

Nothing worse than seeing a sweet pcar and looking like a poser for waving when your not in your pcar. As a rule all get my wave.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:39 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 347 Posts

I know I'll get flamed for this but, for some masochistic reason, I've got to say it....

I get the part about acknowledging another Porsche. If I see an oncoming P-car in time, I'll give a wave or raise an index finger in acknowledgement. I usually do the same for any "unique" car (Ferrari, Lotus, Viper, street rod, antique, etc.) and I usually get a friendly wave back.

I do, however, find it both amusing and sad that there seems to be a heirarchy that dictates whether or not one Porsche owner should blink their headlights at another Porsche. The idea that owning a 10-12 year old car somehow makes one better than someone who chooses to own or lease *GASP!* another type of car (And therefore renders them not "worthy" of a headlight blink) would be silly if it weren't such a stunningly sad example of egotism based solely on the ownership of a machine.

Obviously, I don't "get it."

TMc
Old 09-09-2007, 12:18 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Water cooled, and I wave at every opportunity.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:28 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 142 Posts

I see a guy walking everyday and he waves at everyone regardless of what they drive. I think he is getting tired of it though because he doesn't look as enthusiastic as he did 5 years ago!
Old 09-09-2007, 03:40 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do, however, find it both amusing and sad that there seems to be a heirarchy that dictates whether or not one Porsche owner should blink their headlights at another Porsche. The idea that owning a 10-12 year old car somehow makes one better than someone who chooses to own or lease *GASP!* another type of car (And therefore renders them not "worthy" of a headlight blink) would be silly if it weren't such a stunningly sad example of egotism based solely on the ownership of a machine.
Or they simply don't feel that they have as much in common with somebody who leases a new car than they do with a fellow enthusiast of a much more rare and specific car.

Quick Reply: Secret bond. Know it!