Sponsored by:

what do you consider stock?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 10:20 PM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what do you consider stock?

There is a lot of talk about different mods, and still trying to keep it lookoing stock.

Some say certain mods will have a negative effect on the value of your car for certain buyers, and some mods may do the opposite.

some say any mod using oem parts keep the car stcok...

which mods do you consider "sock" and which do you consider not?

heres an example:

stock mods:
any oem part
split spoiler,
wide oval tips
aluminum pedals (not footrest?)
etc...

non-stock looking mods:
alpine stereo unit
after market rims
etc...

post your opinion
Old 09-02-2007, 10:38 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 79 Posts

My 993 is "mostly" stock. It came with a factory aero kit, but as you can see, I added the OEM Turbo S, front brake cooling kit and positioning lights..

But I also deleted the ugly front bumperettes. I have the original wheels, and everything else cosmetic, except for maybe the floor mats is either original or OEM. Nothing new, nothing different.

Performance, the only non OEM part is my H&R Coilovers.
The RS Light Weight Flywheel is not stock, but it is a 993, 911 perfromance part.
as is the RS Clutch, the steel syncro's, and the RS Sway bar.

In other words, my car is still 98% porsche, except for the deletion of bumperettes and coilovers. All the other "upgrades" are collectively thought to be, the standard, "as long as your clutch is going" upgrades, that 3 out of 4 993 owners will change. Must knowledgeable buyers will be looking for cars with the LWF, Clutch, Sway upgrade as they expect to do it anyway.

NON STOCK upgrades would be anything that would change the original characteristic of the look and feel of the car. That goes for wheels, aero kits, radio, performance upgrades, etc. that are generally not accepted as "standard" upgrades on forums like this.

For a 993, I think almost everyone agrees, mods that are ok:
Light weight flywheel
RS Clutch
RS Sway Bar
(optional big red brake upgrade)
Anything RS upgrade
Tasteful wheels
litronic's or other type HID's.
sensible suspension upgrade to delete US "ugly ride height" characteristic.
Gert protection bar
Key fob upgrade

Unappealing:
3rd party aero kits
tacky wheels
Superchargers
aftermarket radios that cut into dash (double din or flip up face)
-- re-gearing can go both ways... acceptable or pass, depending on buyer.

Oh yeah, exhaust.. I think it really depends on what exhaust is installed. Some are a little more obnixous than others. There is a fine line between perfect and, lets say, less than perfect. I like to think with exhaust, when you upgrade, less is more. It should sound deep, but not painful.

But mostly, we like to keep these cars the way they came. Over the past 10-12 years, there has been a collective agreement about the flywheel, ride height and optional wheel's.. Anything else, imho, is questionable..

B
Old 09-03-2007, 01:12 AM
allill
Drifting

Look at my car. It's all factory parts except the HRE's, the ducts, the deack and the speakers. Would you consider my car stock?
Old 09-03-2007, 02:08 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

my 98 cab has PMS RS/RSR suspension and I would not consider these "stock" even though they are Porsche OEM, nor would I the 996 carbon fiber shift **** and brake handle.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:12 AM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Stock is the way your car came optioned from the factory. Anything else is NOT stock, although it could still be an OEM part and/or dealer option. IMHO, I think that tastefull mods are OK as long as they are OEM, high quality aftermarket, or easily reversible. Anything alse, and you had better plan on keeping your car for a long time, or taking a hit on the resale. B-Lines car looks to be well sorted as does Allill's car. Are they stock? . . . NO. . . but they are both damn nice! Aftermarket parts are a very subjective thing. Wheels are very easy to change, but probably only add value for the right buyer. Quality aftermarket seats or steering wheels can be an improvement, but are a bit harder to reverse and probably don't add much, if any value. Aftermarket body parts like a tail or spliters can be OK, or they could be a nightmare! It depends on the quality of the part and the install. When in doubt, go with OEM if possible! Any individual mod may add value for some, but could detract for others, especially if it does not fit well. If you ever consider selling a highly modded car, you are probably better off to return the car as close as possible to stock and sell the aftermarket or mod parts separately. This is such touchy /personal thing, and I don't think that you can say what is right for anybody but yourself. I have several aftermarket parts, but I don't expect them to add anything to resale value. My car will never be able to be put back to "stock" due to some of my mods. Of course, I don't really care about that, because I don't really have a "collectable" model and I am not looking to sell anyways.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:45 AM
allill
Drifting

Very well put Jeff!

Quick Reply: what do you consider stock?