Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Price check - 95 with 90,000 miles & repaint?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 01:40 AM
umfan866
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Price check - 95 with 90,000 miles & repaint?

Can someone please tell me the value of this car. 993's are hard to price because KBB, edmunds, and nada all have wildly different values (even Excellence).

1995 Carrera Coupe
Black/Black (apparently black interior is a little more rare)
Floormats
17" wheel upgrade, but stock-type wheels (not turbo twist)
CD changer.

Very clean inside, no dash cracks, no leather wear. Shift
boot worn but owner will replace it before the sale.

Car lives in a nice area but near a high school where it got
egged. Owner just spent 10k on a Brand new paint job in
original color (black). This included also all-new front & rear
lights, turn signals, etc. and new seals everywhere, new
windshield, etc. Very few swirls (owner says). Front bumper
came out speckled & with orange peel and paint shop has
agreed to redo it before car is sold by the owner, as well as
redo some of the windshield seals currently causing noise.
Paint work done by the people who do paint for Jerry Woods
(?) and maintenance on the car done by Jerry Woods except
for routine oil change done at German Motor works locally.
No top-end rebuild done yet, nor does it appear to be needed.
Car did not smoke just started right up.

My impression: car drove like a dream. more road feel than
the previous 993 I drove, very sticky tires. lots of power, cold
blowing A/C, car was very clean inside/out. very very nice.
Clean carfax matching the story of ownership (1st owner in
texas, 2nd owner here). All records available, 2k spent on
a cluch recently. The guy will promise that the paint/
glass/seal etc will be finished before I would take ownership.

I will post what the asking price is, but I want to get a feel for
what people think first. .
Old 08-21-2007, 02:41 AM
long_beach_968
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm assuming its a manual?? if so you'd be paying a fiar price at $30k ish, a great deal at $28k depending on maintainence records ect.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:41 AM
umfan866
Racer

Yes its a manual. All maintenance done & records available.

BTW --

Here are what the various sources say for a 95 with 90k miles:

Nada 22-26k
Kbb 21-24k
Edmunds 18-25k or 16-22k
excellence 25-36 (nov 2007 993 buying guide, not bruce andersons-can't find Apr 07 issue)

Last edited by umfan866; 08-21-2007 at 04:17 AM.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:42 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,808 Likes on 1,715 Posts

Sounds like a very nice car. Few things to consider: None of the sources you reference represent 993 values well. Look at listings on cars.com and autotrader.com for price reference. Black interior is not rare and 17" wheels are stock, though some did come with 16" wheels. Respray will substract value to some while it will add value to others. Personally, I think it adds value to a 90k mi car.

Based on everything you said and provided the car gets a clean PPI, I'd say high $20s is a fair deal and mid $20s is a great deal. Though the car has a great history and seemingly lots of $$$ recently spent, it does have 90k mi and that cuts down on the value of 993s.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:54 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IMHO, the thing you have to check for on any 911 that's had significant work done -- such as a respray -- is very simply, the quality of the job. There's a lot involved in a respray: disassembly, preparing the body, masking, priming, painting, sanding, buffing, and reassembly. Every one of those steps offers unique opportunities for corner-cutting and poor-quality work. So what I'm getting at is that the real question is not, "Does a respray affect the car's value?" The question is, "How well was the respray done?" If it was done right -- most are not -- you're golden. If it was done poorly, I would avoid the car, or only buy it at a serious discount.

And by poorly, I mean things like: fish eyes in the paint, sanding marks showing through, dirt in the paint, clearcoat runs, overspray, masking tape lines, shoddy reassembly, etc.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:15 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

$25 - $28k is my opinion.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:36 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$25k
Old 08-21-2007, 08:56 AM
Pete
Instructor

I agree with the mid-20s that a few others have mentioned. Under absolutely no circumstances would I buy a car like this unless I inspected the paintwork first myself, well maybe if a highly trusted, experienced, very picky friend did it for me. I absolutely would not take the word of the seller/painter that "....the paint/glass/seal etc will be finished before I would take ownership." One man's apple peel is another's orange peel! And why would only the front bumper come out speckled with orange peel? How many are a "few swirls"? A proper repaint on these cars should involve removing all the glass, trim, lights, etc with no masking and maybe this was done here based on the quoted price, but I would want to see it for myself before buying. I think you can easily find 90K mile early 993s with original paint that's pretty good condition (rock chips in nose) for under $30K so I'd want to make sure this paint job was perfect before paying mid- to high 20s.

Pete
Old 08-21-2007, 09:07 AM
dhicks
Drifting

If it needed a respray I would find out the full story, does he have any pics prior to respray. My car has 103K miles on it now....look at avitar for paint condition....if looked after these car have great paint and should not need a respray......well except maybe for chips at front......ask who did respray and go talk with them, ask them what the acr was like prior to respray, did they have to fill anything...etc etc. Poorly looked after paint can reflect on a poorly looked after car.....sorry to sound so gloomy
Old 08-21-2007, 09:17 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another vote for $25K.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:40 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

The steal of the century came with a 130,000 mile 95 in good shape at $15k (back a few months ago) and I would say my 95 C4 car with 61k with quite a few upgrades that are pretty fresh is probably worth, on "fair" price of about $30k. I paid $36k with 33k on it a little over 4 years ago-with a few thousand in upgrades that came with it. Im not saying mines worth $30k because those who are buying would agree its worth less and those who are selling would agree its more. Im just being conservative and realistic. To say a car with a repaint, several thousand dollars less in upgrades than mine, and sitting at 90k on the odometer is where I would put it around $25k. AT 90k, that should have a fresh tune up which will run you $1200-$1500. Its probably due for suspension upgrade, if it hasnt already. Tack on another $2k-$3k for that. Now if you did all that, you know have spent $30k on a 993. A PPI should tell the rest.

Im no guru by any means but rather more of an observant. I dont every work on cars, I just drive them. However, Im a homework person and dont really care about all the technical stuff but go into any situation with an a very good understanding.

When I bought my C4, I didnt know to open the deck lid and it took me 3 months to figure out how to turn on the interior lights. I know a few more things today.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:15 AM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 656 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by umfan866
I will post what the asking price is, but I want to get a feel for
what people think first. .
Now that the feedback is in, inquiring minds are curious....
Old 08-21-2007, 11:29 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Compare and contrast:

Potential buyer's description:
Originally Posted by umfan866
Very clean inside, no dash cracks, no leather wear.... maintenance on the car done by Jerry Woods except
for routine oil change done at German Motor works locally.
No top-end rebuild done yet, nor does it appear to be needed.
Car did not smoke just started right up.

My impression: car drove like a dream. more road feel than
the previous 993 I drove, very sticky tires. lots of power, cold
blowing A/C, car was very clean inside/out. very very nice.
Clean carfax matching the story of ownership (1st owner in
texas, 2nd owner here). All records available, 2k spent on
a cluch recently.
Marlon's description:
Originally Posted by Marlon
Keep it simple and avoid the car all together. There are lots of 993's out there and the last thing you need is to open a can of worms with a high risk, used 993. ... My feeling is that this car is an albatross.
Marlon, the car comes with all the records, has a new clutch, was maintained by Jerry Woods, and is reported by the person who has actually, you know, seen and driven the car to be in excellent condition.

What makes you "feel" that the car is an "albatross"? On what basis have you made that judgement?

BTW: All 993's are used. Porsche stopped making the 993 in 1998, so it's going to be difficult to take your advice and avoid a "high risk, used 993."
Old 08-21-2007, 11:36 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dhicks
If it needed a respray I would find out the full story, does he have any pics prior to respray. My car has 103K miles on it now....look at avitar for paint condition....if looked after these car have great paint and should not need a respray......well except maybe for chips at front......ask who did respray and go talk with them, ask them what the acr was like prior to respray, did they have to fill anything...etc etc. Poorly looked after paint can reflect on a poorly looked after car.....sorry to sound so gloomy
Really depends on where it was driven...I WISH my black 993tt looked like yours!

The front end looks like it was sandblasted at 80K miles

The respray cautions mentioned are all valid, IMO. Unfortunately this is because of the lack of quality workmanship out there.
That said, I think there is much more to the value than whether the paint is OE or not. As others have said, you want to know the paint work was done well and that there isn't any accident damage prior. If this was true, respray would not be a deterrent for me.
I guess I've decided I am not in the "OE paint or bust" crowd.

I mean it's nice... even required if it is a collector car but otherwise not a big deal for me.
I'd rather have a car that looks good than a sandblasted front end and be able to say it is OE paint
I'd check the paintwork out carefully and move on to other big stuff.
If the guy spent 10K on the paint and has receipts, it is probably a quality job, though the shop letting it out the door with the paint issue on the front bumper would concern me.

Good that the clutch was done.
Has the suspension been replaced?

So, I'd pay a bit more than some others for this car. In the neighborhood of
27K if the issues you mentioned are resolved.
Talk to you soon Marvin!
Old 08-21-2007, 12:24 PM
umfan866
Racer

Guys thanks for your comments. I am indeed worried a little about the paint and I think if I were to buy this car I'd wait until all of his work was done, and then have the car inspected carefully by a paint expert as well as other Porsche guys that are local. And talk to the people who did the paint.

BTW his asking price is $28,000. I haven't talked price with him since I wanted to post to this forum first.

Quick Reply: Price check - 95 with 90,000 miles & repaint?