993 Forum 1995-1998

Your Thoughts on Buying a High Mileage 993

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 09:52 AM
Anthony DiBernardo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your Thoughts on Buying a High Mileage 993

I currently own a 1980 911 SC and have always wanted a 993. I have seen a few high mileage postings (120k+) recently for around $25000. What do you think about trading in my high mileage older car, that I know runs everyday, for this newer car?
Old 09-02-2007, 10:09 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

tony - I bought and drive a high mile 95' 993 - it is an amazing car. Paint is a little rough - I plan to buff it out thoguh. 993's as opposed to an SC for instance, are more expensive to maintain. Every 'part' is 2 or 3 times the price as opposed to an SC or 3.2. I was really not prepped for this reality when I first got my car: 500 hundred bucks for plug wires + you cannot get decent aftermarket wires like you can for the SC, and on-and on. BUT - the 993 is everything that the earlier cars were not + some. I love my car (now) and have relegated myself to taking more time to get it up to speed so to speak based on replacement parts costs, time, etc. I would strongly recommend you invest 80 bucks and get the Adrien Streather book from Amazon: The Essential Comapnion. You will be well served. The 993 IS the King of Porsche. The water cooled versions are easier to maintain, produce more power and are more civilized, et al - but the 993 is the King and much sexier from every corner. In my estimation the 993 will SOON be to the corvette today what the 68' vette was 'then': sexy, beautiful and VERY, very desirable. I love my car and if you send me a PM will amplify pros's & cons of buying.

BTW: 993 used car prices in my estimation are rather steady. According to the dealer salesguy here, the used car 996 market is coming down, so if you want to go to a water bubbler, now and later is the time to do so. 25K for a 120K mile 993 is kind of on the medium high side. It should be pretty nearly flawless with NEW plug wires, p;lugs, rebuilt ditributor, fresh shocks, struts, spoiler wall, spoiler motor quiet, non-clanky shifter, 18" wheels with new tires, excellent+++ paint & finish, new or recent clutch and clutch slave cylinder, new fresh brakes & rotors, etc, etc. On the other hand if the car absolutely GRABS you and won't let go - well, maybe go for it, I got my 105K mile 993 with ORIGINAL paint + two sets of wheels & tires for less than 23K. I may have gotten 'lucky' but I still got 6K worth of upkeep to do on it. As a bonus my car runs like a screaming bat outta' he*l - it just want s to giddy-ficken-up an go. I should call it SeaBiscuit

Last edited by Marlon; 09-02-2007 at 10:28 AM. Reason: more info..
Old 09-02-2007, 10:49 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

High miles is not a problem, even if you need a top end rebuild. Get a PPI, negotiate the fix-up items into the price and do them right away. Maintenance is 2X what my 3.2 was, especially if you like to have fun with good 18" tires. But I would not go back to a 3.2, even if I had the extra garage space.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:05 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

callas said our 993's ARE rebuildable... so i would not bat an eye at a high mile 993.

-terry would know about high-mile porsches ( & t~ can't wait for you to get into that 997 turbo!!!)

bol anthony

Last edited by 24FPS; 09-02-2007 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:55 AM
matt777
Drifting

Default PPI

It seems to me that because repairs are so expensive (price a top end rebuild) that you should never buy one without a PPI/leakdown/compression test as a couple of repairs and you might as well have spent another $10K on a much better low mileage car. I've been browsing for 993's for awhile and have never seen a $25K car. Where do you find these?
Old 09-02-2007, 11:59 AM
melman911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is great to hear I just bought what I consider a high mile 993. Has 88k on it. Bought it from Ruf auto centre in Dallas. It had 15k in Ruf parts alone. As well at other up grades. All the leather had been re-skined to also. What do you think would have been a good price before I tell you what I paid?

Old 09-02-2007, 12:20 PM
Anthony DiBernardo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $25000 993s

Check autotrader.com.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:23 PM
melman911
Burning Brakes

I paid 35k for it. The car is in great condition. I don't know if it was Mr. Iciban's car. The previous owner was supposed to have taken great care of the car. All books and records. That's what John at RUf at least told us. I trust them over there. Very professional.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:39 PM
24FPS
Drifting

c j's was an 's'/wb fwiw.

prettty car imho.

btw: there are several listers that have found 20-$omething 993's. -ask chris walrod, think his hi-mi track toy was had for $20k
Old 09-02-2007, 01:43 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

congrats on the new purchase. I saw that car there a couple of weeks ago and it is very nice. If I am not mistaken, the RUF bits are all cosmetic with no engine modifications, right? The interior looks brand new. It has made me decide to recover my driver's seat.

I bought my 993 cab with a fresh top end in very good condition with 85k miles for $26k. That was 3 months ago and since that time it has had all fluids/belts changed, new oil cooler, new Mo30 and 18" 5 spoke wheels, new carbon 996 shifter and Llyod mats. Seats next, then it will be perfect.

Stay tuned for some local Starbucks meets. They happen about once a month. Some of us may drive down to TX Motorspeedway on Sept. 22.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:44 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Oh, and it is not CJ's car. As stated earlier, CJ's car was an "S" car and sold a while back.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:58 PM
melman911
Burning Brakes

If I am not mistaken, the RUF bits are all cosmetic with no engine modifications, right?
Yep. With the exception of the short shift kit. That's one sellilng point of the car. It had all the things I would have bought eventually. Now I can look at getting the engine worked on (modified). Was thinking of the BTR kit Ruf has to offfer. I know it's bucks but.... My only thing to decide if it's worth it on such a high milage car. Might get some more of the cosmetic "bits" some think the front bumper is out of place witout the others (skirts, rear wing). Honestly didn't even notice it but i guess the point can be made. Stuart's in Dallas is getting the front bumper touched up right now and they are re-appling the clear bra on the car. Are they any good? I've heard good things about them.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:04 PM
Texas993
Race Car

I haven't been here long enough to know of Stuarts. I think you did very well on buying that car. And I would not worry about modifying it at this age. My car pulls stronger than some with half the miles. In fact, it would be a good idea to look at those valves while they are in there.

I hope to meet you sometime. And let me know how Stuart's works out. Never know when you might need a good body shop.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:19 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by matt777
It seems to me that because repairs are so expensive (price a top end rebuild) that you should never buy one without a PPI/leakdown/compression test as a couple of repairs and you might as well have spent another $10K on a much better low mileage car. I've been browsing for 993's for awhile and have never seen a $25K car. Where do you find these?
In my signature below! (Or close to $25K anyhow)
105K miles and it has been very reliable. I have come to know and trust the car and it has never failed me. I'd keep it but I bought another project (993tt) and would like funds for it (read: my wife doesn't think I should have 3 pcars)

See the ad for the big stuff I have already put money into. I probably didn;t list everything but need to go through receipts.
I paid $26K for it and knew it needed a clutch. There were no surprises. I replaced clutch/flywheel and a bunch of other stuff while I had it out. I ended up with a very decent, reliabe 993.
It was a joy to do the work on, no rusted bolts, very clean Ca. car. The 993tt I just bought is another story... ugh. I have much to do there.

All in all I have over $30K into it (estimated, I haven't added it all up.. it's more than $30K, don't tell my wife) so the advice given above on shopping around and comparing miles/price/receipts is wise, IMO.

It has never smoked even after sitting for a week and does not drip oil on the carpet it parks on.
I love these cars!
Old 09-02-2007, 02:24 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Anthony,

I did EXACTLY that earlier this year. Sold a fantastic running 1980 911 SC Targa and bought a 96 C2 Coupe.

There are remarkable similarities between the cars, yet the 993 is much morerefined, smoother, more powerful etc... it is a better car. The SC is a wonderful car too, and I still keep in touch with the owner, and he loves the car. The 993 will be more costly to maintain, as parts simply are more expensive.
While I miss my SC, I have no regrets about the upgrade. the 993 will bring me many years of enjoyment, plus as I get older, I prefer the creature comforts a bit more, AC works etc..when I made the switch and posted to the 911 list, I likened the similarity to brothers, you know they came from the same roots, but they have differences as well.

I sold my SC for $9000 and got my C2 with 68K miles on it for $31K, so for $22K I was able to get the 911 I wanted. I would never be afraid of a Porsche with high miles as long as it had a good PPI, however, I think if you are patient, you will be able to find a 993 with under 100K miles on it. Don't rush a purchase, there are plenty of 993s that change hands, some great deals can be had.
By gathering info from this list, you will be aheda of the game.
good luck.

Quick Reply: Your Thoughts on Buying a High Mileage 993