Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbox upgrade - Give me your results/Opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 10:17 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oh no - the big guns will come out on this one...

One other thing to consider possibly: The 'stock' lid is designed (by accident or on purpose) so that when it rains, water coming thru the spoiler grill cannot soak your filter. With the extreme-cut out lid rain water will soak your filter and could make it breath LESS than a dry filter. Of course if you are pulling enough vacum it may be moot. But the engine pulls the most vacum at idle and pulls most aire volume at WOT. So for all you engineers out there - how does a water logged 993 paper filter increase, decrease or no affect on 993 performance?

Also: even though it is (probably) true that the throttle body will see more air volume with a cut out lid - there is no 'directed' dwell air with a cut out lid. The air coming into the inlet is subject to whatever the wind and air mass movement might be inside the engine compartment for a given moment. On the other hand, with the stock lid, the air is always 'directed' in a one-way movement regardless of the engine operating parameter. You could almost call this a desired 'dynamic dwell' situation??? Thoughts?
Old 08-31-2007, 10:50 AM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 690 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by Marlon
One other thing to consider possibly: The 'stock' lid is designed (by accident or on purpose) so that when it rains, water coming thru the spoiler grill cannot soak your filter. With the extreme-cut out lid rain water will soak your filter and could make it breath LESS than a dry filter. Of course if you are pulling enough vacum it may be moot. But the engine pulls the most vacum at idle and pulls most aire volume at WOT. So for all you engineers out there - how does a water logged 993 paper filter increase, decrease or no affect on 993 performance?

Also: even though it is (probably) true that the throttle body will see more air volume with a cut out lid - there is no 'directed' dwell air with a cut out lid. The air coming into the inlet is subject to whatever the wind and air mass movement might be inside the engine compartment for a given moment. On the other hand, with the stock lid, the air is always 'directed' in a one-way movement regardless of the engine operating parameter. You could almost call this a desired 'dynamic dwell' situation??? Thoughts?

WAYYYY too much time on your hands, Marlon. I try not to out-think the Porsche engineers as it hurts my pointy little head.

-Jim
Old 08-31-2007, 10:54 AM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't get it. Why all this drilling and permanent mods. If you want to add some extra noise and possibly flow (jury out) just remove the stock horn from the airbox. It really opens it up, and it's easy to revert back to stock.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:14 PM
allill
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Toddimus
Here's what I did to my airbox lid. Sounds great at WOT, but I can't seem to hear it as much since FisterD did the LPMM on my mufflers!

Best part was that it's free... if you already have the hole saw.
If I won't be able to hear it with the LPMM's I might as well not do it!
Old 08-31-2007, 12:35 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

The other part of all of this that I do not understand involves opening up the Pandora's Box on the discussion about cooler air and HP.
If you have all these holes in the side of the airbox, with no additional outside air under the decklid, aren't you in effect just bringing more warm air into the combustion chamber?
Personally, with the "trumpet" to my fixed wing bringing in nice cooler air, and the sound of the Supercups, I feel no need to hack up my airbox lid..
Old 08-31-2007, 12:53 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

When the car is moving at speed, so much cool air is coming in, it's blowing out the hot air. I have my Moton nitrogen canisters mounted directly above the engine. After a 25 minute race with high ambient temperatures, those cans are very cool. Why? Because the hot air is being evacuated. If I forget to lift the engine lid after a session, the heat from the engine soaks into the cans, thus, getting them quite hot.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:56 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts
Default trumpet

Originally Posted by rkb
The other part of all of this that I do not understand involves opening up the Pandora's Box on the discussion about cooler air and HP.
If you have all these holes in the side of the airbox, with no additional outside air under the decklid, aren't you in effect just bringing more warm air into the combustion chamber?
Personally, with the "trumpet" to my fixed wing bringing in nice cooler air, and the sound of the Supercups, I feel no need to hack up my airbox lid..
Can you post the details of your "trumpet". I have a fixed wing and would be interested to hear about how your rigged the intake.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:10 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rkb
I have the trumpet and also have drilled my airbox. It would be interesting to know if the airflow from the tail creates positive pressure in the airbox such that it would not pull in the warmer air from the drilled holes. In any case, the sound at WOT is awesome.

One could tape over the holes, retain most of the sound benefits, and avoid any hot air intake from the engine.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:45 AM
McGarrett
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I definitly do not have a lack of cool air coming into the engine bay. The GT2 wing at speed is very effective.
Attached Images  

Last edited by McGarrett; 03-13-2008 at 09:21 PM.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:00 AM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Time to Unpimp ze Auto
Old 09-01-2007, 02:00 AM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddimus
Here's what I did to my airbox lid. Sounds great at WOT, but I can't seem to hear it as much since FisterD did the LPMM on my mufflers!
Ye haw!
Glad your still enjoying it, Todd.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:59 PM
hyphenf15
Pro

I have that very lid on my car. I like the look and the fit. Gives more room to check and add oil as required to boot. Best of luck on your decision.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:24 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I drove my last 993 for 6 years with an airbox that was cut open like the Fabspeed unit. I never experienced a bit of rain water or wash water getting on the filter element. Has anyone actually found that their filter element gets wet after cutting open an airbox???????
Old 09-01-2007, 04:35 PM
hyphenf15
Pro

I haven't noticed any water issues with my current setup. It's been on the car for a year and a half.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:44 AM
Toddimus
Instructor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by fisterD
Ye haw!
Glad your still enjoying it, Todd.
I love 'em Darin. Great job!

Originally Posted by allill
If I won't be able to hear it with the LPMM's I might as well not do it!
I have to retract my earlier statement. I did a couple of two-lane road passes this weekend, and I sure could hear the induction roar. Especially when the Varioram opens up. The exhaust is at full roar, but you can hear the cylinders begging for more intake air.

I think I woke up the neighbors, and literally, I mean literally, scared the crap out of my wife. Man these cars are fun to drive!

Last edited by Toddimus; 09-04-2007 at 02:47 AM. Reason: I wasn't done yet

Quick Reply: Airbox upgrade - Give me your results/Opinions.