Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Importing a US car to Canada

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 08:28 PM
ssarchi
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long does it take to change from being an "immigrant" to being a "resident".
Is being a resident the same as being a citizen?

How many vehicles did you land with?
Old 08-29-2007, 09:49 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ssarchi
How long does it take to change from being an "immigrant" to being a "resident".
I am neither a Canadian citizen, neither a US citizen, just moving from one country to the other for the company I work for. My status in Canada is temporary resident (work permit). My understanding is that as soon you spend over 183 days per year (half a year) in Canada, you are a Canadian resident and therefore are subject to the same regime as a Canadian citizen.

[/QUOTE]How many vehicles did you land with? [/QUOTE]

I brought 2 vehicles (including the Porsche) that I owned in the US before moving. Customs did not care how many cars I was bringing along with my personal effects.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:52 PM
ssarchi
Burning Brakes

Very interesting...... and thanks!!
Old 08-29-2007, 09:56 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,036 Likes on 1,791 Posts

Originally Posted by AM993
No Duty, no taxes (neither GST or Ontario PST) when you move from the US to Canada with your car
Yikes. I know someone who moved from the US and had to pay duty and taxes on his car. I don't know the particulars of his situation (maybe he entered Canada without his cars and brought them up once landed?!?!) but I hope he didn't get the short end of the stick.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:39 PM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just inquired about this very question for my brother whom lived in Boston for 12 yrs. He wanted to move back to canada nd bring his car with him.....i called canada customs and Quebec SAAQ, they both told me that he has a $10,000 exemption. If the car is worth say $25,000, he would have to pay the duties, and 2 taxes on $15,000......also, inquirted for my wife 3 yrs ago coming fr LA...same answer $10K exemption.....this may be a quebec thing though!
Old 08-29-2007, 10:42 PM
ssarchi
Burning Brakes

Seems like the Canadian Government is not too excited about luxury cars.....I guess we are pretty lucky in the tax department in the US.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:56 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ssarchi

How many vehicles did you land with?
In my case my "immigrant" status implies residency. Just like someone getting a "green card" in the US. So with all my paperwork for the residency squared away before I moved to Canada, I flew into Winnipeg international and "landed" as a new resident. At that time I filed my paperwork.
In short I imported 3 cars and almost my entire household from Texas in a 40 foot container without any taxes whatsoever.

Resident is not exactly the same as a citizen. I dont have voting rights for elections and If I'm bad I can get deported and my status stripped.. Just like in the US. You need 3 full years of living in Canada to apply for your citizenship ( if you get approved).

If you are already a Canadian citizen in the US I doubt it that you would get any serious tax brakes returning back...

Quick Reply: Importing a US car to Canada