Sponsored by:

Importing a US car to Canada

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 03:41 PM
ssarchi
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importing a US car to Canada

Does anyone have experience with importing a US 964/993 into Canada from the US? I have reviewed the online info and have a couple of questions-
1. Duty- what is the rate? There is no info regarding this.
2. No specific modifications are listed for Porsches but there is general talk about bumpers (8km min) and daytime running lights. Has anyone been through the modification process and if so, what did you have to do, if anything at all.

thanks
Old 08-29-2007, 03:55 PM
Jack Esposito
Instructor

Looking to import a Boxster into BC but changed my mind after seeing what it was going to cost.
I think the duty on a car built in Europe was 6.1% plus a GST of 7% based upon their book value ($45k)which is much higher than what I paid ($30k). Porsche establishes the exchange rate on cars and parts which is much different than the dollar exchange rate today.
You have to export it out of the USA first before you can import it into Canada. The only change I found I would have to make was the daylight running lights, which is fairly simple to do.
Found some good info online on recommendations from people that have done it before. and what they would do different now knowing what they learned in the process.

Good Luck,

Jack
Old 08-29-2007, 04:00 PM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup...6.1% duties, 7% GST, and provincial tax when registering. DTRlights is all I heard needs modifying. expect about $500 in forms and admin fees, factor in transportation, leg work, and there u have it!
Old 08-29-2007, 04:43 PM
ssarchi
Burning Brakes

Someone on the 964 forum is suggesting that there is no duty for vehicles over 15 years old. But then the 7% gst would still apply? Does all of this apply when one is emmigrating with a work permit to Canada? Can you live in Canada with a car registered in the US?
Old 08-29-2007, 05:03 PM
ssarchi
Burning Brakes

From Pelikan:
You'd be doing a private import, however as I understand it rules are completely different if it's your own car and you're moving from the US to Canada. If I'm not mistaken, it's tax exempt (though I could be wrong). It'll probably need an e-test, maybe a safety. Best to do some reading at riv.ca.

True or False?
Old 08-29-2007, 05:12 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

If this helps, my 1996 C4S came from Montreal and I purchased it here in Los Angeles in 2005. The car came from the factory set up to comply with all CA. smog and bumper requirements.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:16 PM
ssarchi
Burning Brakes

goofball- nope that is the wrong direction. This is a US car being brought into Canada by a US citizen who is working (long term) in BC.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:27 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Ah. Well, there may be import duties, as the Canadian government loves their taxes and fees. However, it should be able to pass all smog and bumper requirements. Sorry I can't be of more help. Vancouver is a lovely place to live. Lots of great roads to tear up in a 993 too. Good luck!
Old 08-29-2007, 05:40 PM
hpuck
Rennlist Member

ssarchi,
There was an excellent thread in the Canada Rennlist which you might find useful. Good luck in your search.
https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-canada/372030-detailed-guide-to-importing-a-vehicle-into-canada.html
Old 08-29-2007, 06:36 PM
ssarchi
Burning Brakes

I must be the goofball as I looked at the link above and can't see how all of this would or would not apply to an American citzen living in Canada...... Doesn't this all relate to Canadians buying US cars and trying to bring them to Canada?
Old 08-29-2007, 07:22 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,036 Likes on 1,791 Posts

My understanding is that you still have to pay duty and taxes even if you are a US citizen moving to Canada. However, if your stay is temporary, I belive you can bring your car into the country with a permit for up to 6 mos. To comply with this law for a stay longer than 6 mos, all you have to do is make a run to the border and spend some time in WA after 6 mos and re-enter to reset your term. May be worth looking into this if you're planning on being here for months as opposed to years. You may want to call the US embassy and inquire about this.

Daylight runninglights is a simple one hour job that can be performed by any shop that works on electrical...even Canadian Tire, though I wouldn't take it there.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:53 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ssarchi
I must be the goofball as I looked at the link above and can't see how all of this would or would not apply to an American citzen living in Canada...... Doesn't this all relate to Canadians buying US cars and trying to bring them to Canada?
No Duty, no taxes (neither GST or Ontario PST) when you move from the US to Canada with your car, regardless of your citizenship (as long as you owned the car before you moved to Canada). That's what I did 2 years ago (bought my car 4 months before I moved from Houston to Toronto) and just had the front license plate installed to pass the inspection. No RIV (Registry of Imported Vehicles) crap, no daytime running light, no baby seat anchors... very easy!
Old 08-29-2007, 08:01 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by AM993
No Duty, no taxes (neither GST or Ontario PST) when you move from the US to Canada with your car, regardless of your citizenship (as long as you owned the car before you moved to Canada). That's what I did 2 years ago (bought my car 4 months before I moved from Houston to Toronto) and just had the front license plate installed to pass the inspection. No RIV (Registry of Imported Vehicles) crap, no daytime running light, no baby seat anchors... very easy!
Ditto. When you immigrate to Canada from the US like I did no taxes as long as you own the vehicle before entering Canada. Once you entered you cannot sell the vehicle for 1 year. If you do then you pay taxes retroactively.
I still though had to pass the car the provincial inspection in BC, do the daytime running lights and that was that.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:22 PM
ssarchi
Burning Brakes

AM993 amd DFJ1: Finally, the kind of answer I was hoping to hear.....
A couple of questions: Were you dual residents or if not, what was your Canadian status at the time of importation. Would it matter?

Let's say you had been in Canada for a year or two and you wanted to import another US registered vehicle. Could you buy such a car (say it was used) and bring it in in a similar fashion as your first one that came with you when you moved there? Or is what you wrote about above a one-time thing?

thanks!!
Old 08-29-2007, 08:25 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ssarchi
AM993 amd DFJ1: Finally, the kind of answer I was hoping to hear.....
A couple of questions: Were you dual residents or if not, what was your Canadian status at the time of importation. Would it matter?

Let's say you had been in Canada for a year or two and you wanted to import another US registered vehicle. Could you buy such a car (say it was used) and bring it in in a similar fashion as your first one that came with you when you moved there? Or is what you wrote about above a one-time thing?

thanks!!
I was not a Canadian resident. When I "landed" as an immigrant I filed the paperwork at the border with the list of things I brought into the country.

To your second question, once you are a resident anything you bring up you get taxed. It is indeed a one time deal.

Quick Reply: Importing a US car to Canada