Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got new wheels. Went with something a little different...(part 2)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 01:42 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Louis I think the look people are trying to get with the 19s is achieved *properly* when the car is lowered to ROW height and some nice tires. The look I like the best is the deep dish in the back and matching chrome ring in the front. Its the way to get the perfect balance and the look too. These new wheels you have are stunning. The old Roocks are my favorite but I dont know if they are still available.
The 993 is just great to look at- like the Mona lisa- uh when done properly -dang purists!
Old 08-28-2007, 01:47 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,005 Likes on 1,777 Posts

Funny you mention Roocks. I love those wheels and want them on my car for dailies. They don't make them anymore but I'll probably get the Gemballas which are nearly identical. The other option is to go with the RS replicas which are made by some French outfit in custom offsets and colors. Now, that would be nice!
Old 08-28-2007, 01:56 AM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ROKN
Funny you mention Roocks. I love those wheels and want them on my car for dailies. They don't make them anymore but I'll probably get the Gemballas which are nearly identical. The other option is to go with the RS replicas which are made by some French outfit in custom offsets and colors. Now, that would be nice!
The Gemballa 18" Competition wheels are my all-time favorite after-market wheels for the 993 ... last I checked, they were pretty hard to come by ... who sells them currently?

Scott
Old 08-28-2007, 01:59 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

I believe you can buy them directly from Gemballa. I surfed their website and found them. I don't think they're hard to get, just expensive.

BTW, I love MY02s and have them on my silver car.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:20 AM
C4S_fan
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Louis: I'm in town getting ready for the wedding.. I'd love to get together and check out the wheels and finally feel this new transmission everyone has been talking about!

Shoot me your number in a PM!
Old 08-28-2007, 03:31 AM
rconnon
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S_fan
Louis: I'm in town getting ready for the wedding.. I'd love to get together and check out the wheels and finally feel this new transmission everyone has been talking about!

Shoot me your number in a PM!
i love looking at that car - if you guys dont mind i'll tag along :P
Old 08-28-2007, 03:57 AM
allill
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Louis I think the look people are trying to get with the 19s is achieved *properly* when the car is lowered to ROW height and some nice tires. The look I like the best is the deep dish in the back and matching chrome ring in the front. Its the way to get the perfect balance and the look too. These new wheels you have are stunning. The old Roocks are my favorite but I dont know if they are still available.
The 993 is just great to look at- like the Mona lisa- uh when done properly -dang purists!
OG,

I have 19"s on my car as does another member who has posted on this thread before me. I am not at all offended by your opinion of the 19" wheels. I can see what you mean about ROW height and 18"s, but for me, most cars need to be lowered no matter what size rims are on them. I wasn't trying to cheat the wheel gap by getting plus size wheels, my car is lowered, and I do not like the look of any non-oem wheels on a non-lowered car. Not that I'm into bling, but even on SUV's, I can't stand 22"s unless the thing is dropped- doesn't have to be tucked, just dropped. That is just my opinion.

Even on 17" cup II's, these cars should be lowered to ROW height.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:07 AM
TYNUSKT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think any sort of centre cap would look good on your new wheels Louis. IMHO it does seem like the upgrade to an 18" wheel is about all the lines of the 993 can handle. Although I have seen a RUF 19" wheel on a 993 and it looked great.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:33 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Your wheels are really hot Louis. They really suit the car and those massive tires

Here is a pic of you and your car getting judged at the concours
Attached Images  
Old 08-28-2007, 10:48 AM
md11plt
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the machine marks on them. Very nice.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:37 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

allill
thanks for your thoughts MOST attempts with 19" and 20" wheels are mostly bling. But if you carefully study the geometry of what youre doing then I dont have a problem with it, especially if you are trying to improve the ride look and handling of these cars. Seems like you understand what you are trying to do.
The 18" design on these cars is perfect- and with wider lower tires you really get a nice look.
The 19" thing I just dont think works. MY car comes with 19" wheels and what we are finding is the inherent push at the track in turns is caused by the 19" wheel. Some people have taken their GT3s and are back fitting 18" wheels and getting proper neutral handling. I appreciate you taking my comments for what they are- technical input. I do not get personal-its just I have some technical content on this subject and since it was brought up I gave my opinion. Thats the beauty of Rennlist. Most people are mature enough- as you are- to take it as that-technical content. If you are trying to get that perfect look FOR YOU and 19s work then what I say dont mean a damn thing, its just an other post.
You should have seen the personal attack I took on another thread for the very same thing.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:29 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Dennis and Rob: Looking forward to hooking up. Hopefully we can schedule it after I install the GT3 seats I just bought. PM is on its way.

Danny: Thanks for posting that pic. Love seeing it while being judged. Unfortunately, I was so busy talking Porsche BS and driving the car all weekend that I ended up with few pics.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:33 PM
96C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I vote 19 for the street 18 for the track.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:12 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dig the new shoes... hopefully they have a nice coating on them to ease cleaning for ya. very constructivist/industrial looking. das german... guten tag.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:16 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

CCW wheels are top quality wheels and are really designed for the track. they are forged and very strong. I see lots of them at Sebring on my track days. I just priced some up in 8.5x18 and 11.5x18 for my 997S. They are $2900. You can get the same verion pictured in the post above with a center cap for a street wheel. the wheel in the picture in the post above is the C14 track wheel.

If money were no object for my track wheel I would buy these or Fikes....I am just on a serious track budget and can't spend over $350is for wheels and tires.

Quick Reply: Got new wheels. Went with something a little different...(part 2)