993 Forum 1995-1998

MAXSPEED PEDAL REPLACEMENT

Old 08-29-2007, 03:11 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 993_Pilot
I would be willing to bet that you own far more Chinese made products than you realize...Just don't look down your nose at the rest of us until you can honestly tell me that you don't own anything made in China.
Unfortunately there is absolutely no question that there are Chinese sourced products in my house but I have no problem saying so. If any of the low-cost manufacturers were designing and engineering the stuff they were selling I would be the first person (I'm not an American if it makes a difference) to buy it. But that is not what is happening here. Instead what you have are automotive parts that have never even been installed on a vehicle, no testing, nothing. If a company can't even get a pedal cover to fit properly how on earth are they going to put together an exhaust system or anything else that does anything other than suck? And yet, people still buy this stuff which just encourages the production of more, which is something that should be looked down upon! I still don't understand how the group buy went through when it was known prior that the dead pedal for the 993 wouldn't fit a 993?

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 08-29-2007 at 04:40 AM.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:10 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

After generating far too much controversy, I have decided not to ship the sample pedal to Maxspeed. Not necessarily because I think it is wrong, but more due to the fact that I don't really want to deal with the aggravation. I have better things to do, and if I am to be criticized for trying to help out a bunch of people that made a bad purchase (for an item none-the-less that I don't need), then you guys can figure out a better solution with Maxspeed.

I really think that everyone made far too big of a deal over this. And now, we can all be happy to be stuck with pedals that do not fit, which admittedly is the result of our own lack of due diligence. However, for just about $100, I did get three apparently high quality pedals with which I am very happy. A simple cut-off wheel will allow fitment of the dead-pedal... not that big of a deal. How many aftermarket parts that any of you have purchased have actually fit without any minor modification? Just ask anyone who has tried to install a Recaro seat how much modification is required to get appropriate fitment.

Certainly, the rennline pedal is available commercially and there is no law against anyone using this pedal to take measurements and design one's own pedal. Now if there is some patent law that would be violated by sending the pedal, then perhaps one of our rennlister's with legal expertise could chime in. However, as a new member, and one only trying to facilitate the rectification of this procblem, I was just trying to help out.

Now I can move on to more pressing matters.... namely, installing my Das Sport rollbar, flushing the brake fluid, and getting the car prepped for Pocono MAW.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:21 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Unfortunately there is absolutely no question that there are Chinese sourced products in my house but I have no problem saying so. If any of the low-cost manufacturers were designing and engineering the stuff they were selling I would be the first person (I'm not an American if it makes a difference) to buy it. But that is not what is happening here. Instead what you have are automotive parts that have never even been installed on a vehicle, no testing, nothing. If a company can't even get a pedal cover to fit properly how on earth are they going to put together an exhaust system or anything else that does anything other than suck? And yet, people still buy this stuff which just encourages the production of more, which is something that should be looked down upon! I still don't understand how the group buy went through when it was known prior that the dead pedal for the 993 wouldn't fit a 993?
Actually I could care less what nationality you are, and I never even mentioned America, but said "western manufacturers" instead because the cheapest manufacturing seems to be in eastern countries. I don't think the problem with the Maxspeed pedals are that they couldn't get them to fit, but rather they made them for the 996 and assumed that they would also fit other models without testing. The owner of Maxspeed claim to have a few porsches, but if any were 993's, he would have known about the fitment issue. I spoke up in the original thread to let people know about the problems fitting the dead pedal in hopes that they could get the problem resolved before the group buy went through. That it did go through without following up, says more about 95FL993CAB and Maxspeed than any Chinese manufacturing company, but I commend Both for their willingness to work out a solution. We all make mistakes, but the ability to learn from and correct them, makes them worth it in the end, and hopefully everyone did learn something here.

As for the "Made in China" labels, you see so many products because a lot of manufacturing is outsourced there due to the cost. . . and cost is king. That's why Walmart and Southwest Airlines are doing so well. Our standard of living here in America and other Western countries is due, in part, to the availability of inexpensive goods. Chinese products have already come a long way in the last 10 years, and I am sure they will continue to progress in quality. As far as eBay is concerned, it is like a giant flea market. There is a lot of crap, but there are also some great deals on oem and other quality products, so . . . caveat emptor.

Hopefully no offense was taken by anyone, and I'll be getting down from my now. Cheers.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:17 PM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well
After all the excitement, we are nowhere near a solution. It is unfortunate that a few vocal personalities pushed Ninjabones into not sending his properly fitting pedal. The owner of Maxspeed is ready, willing and able to remake the dead pedals and send them to those of us who purchased irrespective of the admonitions of Jeff and others. It is true that the owner does not have a 993 to verify the pedal fitments. That said and done, NinjaBones, could you at least trace the pedal and email it to me and I will forward the info? It would be a pity, afterall, to not allow Maxspeed to correct the issue and provide us with the corrected part.
If Ninjabones is not comfortable with that is anyone else willing and able to provide measurements?
I am sorry for the issues, but remember, I did not make them nor did I force anyone to buy them . I am in the same boat after all.
Take care
Ron
Old 08-29-2007, 04:41 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 95FL993CAB
. . . It would be a pity, afterall, to not allow Maxspeed to correct the issue and provide us with the corrected part. . .
I agree Ron, and I was simply trying to defend your effort to get the problem solved as well as your decision to purchase in the first place. (Especially, since I had already done so myself) It should be a very simple thing to take the measurements and get them to Maxspeed without having to send them a pedal. I hope you get everything worked out, and I wish you the best of luck doing so.

-Jeff
Old 08-29-2007, 05:17 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
I still don't understand how the group buy went through when it was known prior that the dead pedal for the 993 wouldn't fit a 993?
+1

The fact that I warned them on 3 separate posts about these being the wrong ones didn't stop them from buying them either.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:19 PM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

Consider the dead horse is now thoroughly beaten ( ), can we proceed towards the solution and provide him with the measurements?
Ron
Old 08-29-2007, 05:26 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Originally Posted by 95FL993CAB
Consider the dead horse is now thoroughly beaten ( ), can we proceed towards the solution and provide him with the measurements?
Ron
Think positive...take this as an oportunity to design and make your own.

Just take some cardboard and some scisors and make one that fits the dead pedal in 3D and send that to him.

Then you can all turn around and do a "group sell" to the 996 board of your left over 996 dead pedals.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:33 PM
hpuck
Rennlist Member

Ron,
Thank you for going to bat for us.
I appreciate your efforts.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:07 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by cabrio993
+1

The fact that I warned them on 3 separate posts about these being the wrong ones didn't stop them from buying them either.
It stopped me. Thanks!

BTW, I'm still not convinced that 993 coupe and cab share the same geometry in the dead pedal area. I had an older Rennline pedal that didn't fit my '95 cab but fit '96 coupe just fine. Which is fairly strange.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:16 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Originally Posted by nile13
It stopped me. Thanks!

BTW, I'm still not convinced that 993 coupe and cab share the same geometry in the dead pedal area. I had an older Rennline pedal that didn't fit my '95 cab but fit '96 coupe just fine. Which is fairly strange.
I'm glad it did!

On the geometry, I know that the Cab has several reinforcements on the body to make it stiffer and stronger.

Maybe that's one area that was reinforced since it is where the tub floor meets the front firewall.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:32 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Cabrio993, do you have a dead pedal in your car right now? I'm considering Rennline but want to make absolutely certain that it'll fit. The older Rennline pedal has been redesigned, I've spoken to Rennline about that. They claim the new one will fit the cab fine. But...
Old 08-29-2007, 06:37 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Originally Posted by nile13
Cabrio993, do you have a dead pedal in your car right now? I'm considering Rennline but want to make absolutely certain that it'll fit. The older Rennline pedal has been redesigned, I've spoken to Rennline about that. They claim the new one will fit the cab fine. But...
No I don't. But If I was going to buy one, I would consider the Rennlines. I have their strut bar and it is really well made.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:43 PM
dhicks
Drifting

Old 08-29-2007, 09:45 PM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

VERY SIMPLE SOLUTION. maxspeed can just invest $60 and buy a dead pedal that fits and use that for measurements. afterall, he is responsible for this....
thats what any good business person would do.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MAXSPEED PEDAL REPLACEMENT